Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Beauty Most Anticipated Fall Children's Books Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited Get 10% cashback on thousands of musical instruments with your Amazon.com Store Credit Card Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held GNO Shop Now PSFF17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 57 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 69 reviews
on July 19, 2011
I have had the Pixie in red for three weeks now. Due to several other reviews I had read on Amazon, I purposely purchased it in a local retail store for the convenience of easy returns in case it suffered from leaks or any other issues.

I am SO glad I gave it a chance. Not only is is minuscule compared to the semi-automatic machine that it is replacing on my kitchen island, but it is very fast, problem free and really a joy to use. It truly does heat up in an instant. I click the power switch and before I've chosen a capsule from the spinner Nifty Nespresso Coffee Carousel and popped it in, the machine is ready to go.

My kitchen is such that I don't have to move the machine one bit to remove and refill the water tank, and the tank fits perfectly in my fridge door water dispenser. It may be that by not moving the machine much, I am not stressing its weak points - who knows. All I know is that for ME, it is fantastic and flawless.

One other potential downside, which applies to any pod or capsule machine, is acquiring and disposing of the actual pods. I was concerned about this, as I was in the habit of grabbing a bag of beans at my convenience. The machine came with 16 capsules and I ended up ordering the "welcome kit" of 200 pods directly from Nespresso (by far the best deal on capsules is directly from Nespresso) one day later the box was waiting outside my door. As far as disposing of the pods, they are currently going in my co-mingled recycling bin at the condo. What happens to them from there is anybody's guess. At least they are packed simply - bare aluminum pods in a cardboard sleeve, no additional plastics or unnecessary materials.

Also, like many other Nespresso reviewers have complained, I am drinking more coffee (5 capsules), which I'm sure is terrible for me, but I really seem to enjoy their coffee variety and for me, .55 per cup seems reasonable for the quality and is a much better value than several of the big-name coffee bars. Also, I don't get the caffeine jitters from the espresso, like I would from standard brewed coffee.

Again, just my personal experience, but I wanted to share my satisfaction and success with a machine that seems to have been problematic for several others. Perhaps mine is from a newer production run? Whatever the reason, I recommend it whole-heartedly.
44 comments| 173 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 7, 2013
I like plain and simple, when it just works. I first bought the Nepresso Essenza model, because we had one in our hotel room staying in a resort in Mexico. We were so impressed by the quality of the cofee, that I picked up my iPhone and ordered it on Amazon so it would be there when we got back home from our trip. What I didn't realize with the first model we got (the Essenza, NOT this model), is that it was a MANUAL start and stop to brew. Our hotel room model Essenza had small and large cup brew buttons, and I didn't notice more than once model "Essenza". Although the coffee with the Essenza was just as good, I didn't like the idea of having to stop it (especailly since most of our brews will be espressos) and have inconsistent brews, so I returned the Essenza model and got this Pixie model. Amazon was happy to ship out the Pixie model, and arrange for UPS pickup of the Essenza, and change me only the difference (no return fees). I am not a critical reviewer on this one, because I was so happy to find a "new" coffee maker that puts the Keurig and Tassimo/Boshe makers to shame. I have both of them, and am glad to have just picked up this model.

I didn't know how many different types of coffee capsules it supported before I ordered it. This Pixie model comes with 16 different flavor capsules, so that tells me "at least 16" which is great. I did NOT realize at first that some capsules are meant to be brewed as a SMALL cup, and others as a LARGE cup. Of the 16 capsules that come with it, four are "lungo" (large). It was a bit confusing at first, I was using a black marker to mark whether the capsule was decaf, small, large, expresso, or coffee, since they are all intermixed, and color coded. The NAME of the coffee type is on the capsule aluminum lid, but you have to cross reference the included description chart to figure out what you are drinking. I was going separate them all into tupperware bowls, small - expresso blend, small - expresso, large - coffee, large decaf, and small - decaf, but then decided against it, since after these first 16 are gone I'll personally be buying a batch of each type (small - expresso, large - coffee, and large - decaf) to cover our family's tastes.

Warning: DO follow the book and run water through it first before inserting any coffee capsule. I DID NOT do this, and the result was that the very first capsule didn't brew, I thought something was wrong, but it was because the water had not made it through the entire machine yet. I tried it again with the same capsule, it worked, but only brewed half of a small cup size, again because only half way through did the water finally prime through the system. So run it without capsules so you won't waste the first one like I did. Partly because the machine is so simple to operate, there was no need to read any directions, but I missed the priming step.

Otherwise: It's our first day and we already went through 8 of the 16 samples! Since I will be up all night probably, I'll start looking to place my first order. Capsules are only .56 and .65 cents each on Nepresso web site, and about $6 shipping. Nepresso site forces you to buy in lots of 50 capsules, but you can mix and match in groups of 10, so it's not too bad.
on June 23, 2014
as a chef, I look for quality in everything thing I purchase and everything I consume
this little machine is amazing!!
I got the red pixie and the drawer for the pods. the machine sits right on top. its elegant and compact
I ordered it Friday it was here the following Monday afternoon (machine, drawer and pods all neatly packed in one box)
I took it out of the box, set it up next to my coffee pot, popped on the water tower, filled with water and plugged it in
the instructions said let water run thru 3 times b4 brewing
after that... I popped in a pod, lowed the lever, hit the brew button and in about 30 seconds I had a nice hot dark roast shot with a beautiful froth, the flavor was rich and deep like a fine wine
its got a little buzz noise but no where near as loud as the demo videos
it came with an assortment of free samples
I LOVE IT!!!!!
on November 25, 2013
We are very happy with our Nespresso machines. In the last year we have purchased three, one as a gift, one for the office and one for the home. Two were purchased from Nespresso directly and one was from Amazon. The only issue we had was that we had Amazon sent us three machines before we received a working one, not sure how or why that happened. Once in a while our machines drip a little water but that is not an issue that affects the temperature or flavor of our coffee. This machine is handy as it makes an espresso shot or a long shot so both of our palates are satisfied. We use it anywhere from one to three times a day and often brew two pods for the amount we like to drink and it is consistent. It is easy to forget to check the water (I think it is because the machine is so simple to use) but a red light comes on to let you know, not a good idea for the machine though I am sure. There is virtually no clean up which makes it great for the office or a dinner party. Two of the machine we have are about or over a year old and run the same as when we first received them.
on January 30, 2014
I demo'd one of these in a william sonoma store that was $299. Amazon had refurbs for $129 shipped so i picked one up. Now, i am not an espresso junkie, but i can tell you its pretty smooth. More or less I like hot chocolates with a hint of espresso so this was used mostly for mochas and such.

It worked well for me, i ended up gifting it to my sister because i dont have a milk frother
on July 21, 2013
It is very well designed and a pleasure to use. The coffee is excellent served up with perfect foam on top of the cup. Your choice of coffees is a bit limited compared to Keurig, but the machine is so much better looking and easier to use, it's worth it. Careful how you put in the capsules. Close the the lever tightly to make sure the capsule is well penetrated (with big enough holes), so you'll get the full cup of coffee.
on December 20, 2014
Bought this for my office after using the pixie at home for a year. Where i work, a cup of coffee is 5 bucks at the local coffee shop. It's really good, just don't feel like spending that much all the time. This is a perfect alternative and I like brewing up a lungo when that coffee fix needs to happen. Capsule sleeves are easy to drop in the backpack to haul into work. The small footprint of this machine makes it a easy addition to my office. Machine is build solidly and is not too loud. I usually shut my door on extra quiet mornings to be sure. Glad it picked it up. Bring in some extra capsules because others will want a hook up too.
on January 6, 2016
This makes great espresso and lungos (4 oz coffees) but really I wish I had the new Nespresso coffee maker.

That said, this unit is great looking, small, easy to operate and produces arguably the best beverage out there.

I should also add that these are very expensive to use everyday. The pods are $0.70 to $1 each so if you use multiples (3) shots for a Latte or 12 oz coffee (3 Lungos) as I do, then it is $2.10 per beverage.
on April 12, 2013
If you buy this, plan on having a budget for capsules because you will begin to enjoy them. They would probably not replace your coffee drinking habits, but complement them for an afternoon shot here and there. If you live with another adult, plan on that person stealing your capsules for their occasional caffeine lift - without telling you. If you don't want this to happen, you need to hide your capsules. Also! Don't forget! You will be prompted to clean it out every couple of months. If it acts like it doesn't work, it's not broken, it means you need to clean it. Again, it's not broken just need to clean it. Cleaning a coffee maker like this is called descaling and there are good choices to find descaling powder on Amazon.com for it's bi-monthly clean.
on March 19, 2013
I was inspired to buy a Nespresso after seeing a friend's Nespresso in action and my red pixie lives up to all my expectations. This little machine (in combination with the milk frother) makes great cappuccinos and lattes and it does it with style. I love the speed it makes the coffee, the no clean-up factor, and the variety of pods available. It makes after dinner coffee a breeze and I've taken it to several parties with rave reviews (I think I sold several...).

As a bonus, if you live near a Nespresso bar, you can stop by any time for a cup of coffee and sample their seasonal flavors before you buy.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.