Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: NETGEAR AC750 WiFi Range Extender with Gigabit Ethernet (EX6100)
Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Songs of Summer Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer conj2 conj2 conj2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Kiss Rocks Vegas Shop Now STEM

Capacity: AC750|Change

on July 5, 2015
As I said in one of my previous reviews, buying technical products based on Amazon ratings can be pretty frustrating. NETGEAR EX6100 AC750 is a great example of why that is. Most of the complaints that you'll find in 1 star reviews are based on misunderstanding on how this type of product works. If you'll use this piece of hardware to extend your WiFi coverage - expect 50% less bandwidth when you connect to it since it uses that 50% to communicate with router.

If you need 100% speed, you do have alternatives:

1. This devices supports Access Point mode. Simply move slider from Extender to Access Point, connect LAN cable to this device and then use same SSID and password for WiFi.
2. If you don't want to spend time laying LAN cable, you can use one band (2.4 GHz) to communicate with router and other one (5 GHz) to communicate with devices. This can be problematic because most of the devices support only 2.4 GHz... and 5 GHz band signal will tie you closer to router.
3. Finally, you can try with other devices like TP-LINK AV500 that utilize powerline:

In my case, this product was the best option because even with 50% dropdown in communication I get 15 MBit/s Internet (instead of 30 MBit/s Internet). And when I have time to spare I'll connect it with LAN cable. On the other hand, TP-LINK AV500 would require me to connect WiFi router / buy WiFi add-on at endpoint (since it is powerline + LAN).

So, if you have problems with WiFi coverage, this is probably the BEST solution for you. If you need to connect just one device using LAN cable in some remote place in your home, powerline may work (it depends on how your power lines are installed, I had really bad experience with powerline tech).

Just whatever you do, do not buy extra antennas for your router. I've left two detailed reviews on products that I've tried out and their price ($20+) is way too much for what they offer. Here are the reviews I mention, they contain more recommendations on EX6100:

Asus WL-ANT-157 Antenna:

3 x 9dBi 2.4GHz 5GHz Dual Band WiFi RP-SMA Antenna:

Speaking of price, another VERY important point - buy REFURBISHED EX6100 (~$40). Devices like this are highly unlikely to malfunction - because of low heat generation and no mechanical parts. If they work within 90 days (refurbished guarantee period)... it's highly likely they'll work for years without problems.

Let that be it for this review. If you have any questions, feel free to leave comment and I'll try to answer. For example, I see few reviews mention that EX6100 doesn't allow you to setup same SSID/password as your primary network, and have your devices autoswitch. That's simply untrue - you can easily setup same SSID/password in EX6100 administration. Finally, if this review helped you, I would appreciate marking it as helpful. Whatever you decide, good luck with your WiFi network!
review image review image
2929 comments| 837 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
NOTE 2 august 2016:!!! For reasons that make no sense Amazon has merged some reviews of other products into this page so make sure the review you are looking at is for NETGEAR AC1200 Desktop WiFi Range Extender (EX6200) and not some other product. (BTW mine is STILL working flawlessly)

UPDATE APRIL 2016 - Well nothing to report at the 2 year mark, everything is working perfectly and has been that way since I updated the firmware in July 2014. Power outages and Windows 10 update, nothing has bothered it at all. If it was a bit more user friendly I might have upgraded it to 5 Stars :)

UPDATE OCTOBER 2015: The setup is working flawlessly but someone had mentioned to me that I should tell people what I am running on my network so this is it:

2 PCs running Windows 10
1 laptop running Windows 7 Pro
2 ROKU wireless TV Media Streaming devices
3 Amazon Kindle (1 Fire, 1 Free 3G Wireless, 1 kindle mini)
1 Samsung S5
1 Verizon Network Extender (a WIFI device that boosts the cell signal since I live at the edge of a dead zone)
1 Brother wireless printer
1 Apple TV device (which I hardly ever use because it kinda sux)
that is all for now
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

I must say this is the best extender I have ever owned and I have owned almost every brand due to the layout of my home. The power and coverage was surprising to say the least and the throughput if you use the Fastlane Technology which basically allows the extender to use one of its dual bands to communicate with the router exclusively (this is NOT a default you have to use the setup menu to set it up). This allows previously unheard of throughput using ANY extender.

Now we get to the very few problems, if you use WEP security as I did at the time I bought this, the much advertised WPS setup WILL NOT WORK! That would not be a big deal but it did make me waste about 45 minutes trying to figure out why it would not work since it never tells you why it will not work, just times out and looks back at you. (NOTE: I used WEP only because of the poor performance of my previous extenders, with this extender I can use any security I wish and have upgraded to WPA/WPA2 which this extender uses with no problem)

The other thing is that you cannot set this extender up with a device that is on a wired connection, it seems odd but this is a 100% wireless device and so instead of using my blazing speed desktop to set this up, I had to go to another room and use a laptop to connect to the extender and set it up, minor thing but it was a bit of a pain and also wasted a few more minutes before I carefully once again read through the very few pages of instructions and saw the answer in a FAQ question.

Thats it folks, everything else has worked better than any extender I have owned (the Linksys that required a voodoo spell to operate, the Hawking that required a power off/on at random times, the Amped that might work fine on alternate phases of the moon, etc).

I can say that if you pair this extender with the following router, NETGEAR Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Gigabit Router (R7000) ,you will have the fastest and most powerful setup you have ever owned in overall coverage and throughput. This will require a healthy chunk of change to purchase but you will not regret it. the two items combined using the Fastlane setting and you will feel almost like a wired connection (well that is an exaggeration) but it will most likely blow your old setup out of the water.

If not for the WEP thing and the requirement for a wireless device to even set this thing up it would be 5 Stars

UPDATE: Noticed today that since I setup the Fastlane function that the 5 Gig light stays on but the 2.4 light is out even though I have it setup for the 5 Gig band to communicate with the router and the 2.4 band to serve the devices. Spent about 30+ minutes trying to find out if this was a malfunction or not, redid the setup and it seems this is normal but in my mind both lights should have stayed on since the are both working or at least the 2.4 light since the 5G band is only a communication band. Still works great but not instinctual and the 100% WIFI connection can cause you some problems, only 1 of my laptops can connect to the setup menu without turning the computer WIFI off, I advise taking your time and doing everything right the first time with this extender since accessing the menu after all bands are setup seems to be a lot more tricky. Performance-wise this is still the best extender ever but several user unfriendly things make me feel the 4 Star rating is much more accurate. If all else fails I guess you can use the reset button :)

UPDATE JULY 2014: Not much to report but I did have to do the old power off/on thing 2 times, seems the signal dropped, but I have installed a recent firmware update and it may have cured that problem since there has been no repeat of it. Still the best extender I have owned but it is not perfect so my 4 Stars is looking more accurate with each day. Random note: Since I had gotten the NETGEAR Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Gigabit Router (R7000) the signal from that router was so powerful the devices fell back to the router and I did not notice the extender had dropped for a day or two (weak signal problems started cropping up). It would seem that a few people who buy the NETGEAR Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Gigabit Router (R7000) may no longer have a need for an extender depending on your individual setup.

NOTE SEPT 2014: Netgear has now released a newer router NETGEAR AC3200 Nighthawk X6 Tri-Band WiFi Router (R8000) which sounds amazing but from the research and reading of reviews unless you plan to hook up multiple X-Boxes to your network and connect all of them to XBox Live, you should save your money and stick with the NETGEAR Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Gigabit Router (R7000) since you will most likely see no real increase in performance and no increase at all through this extender. the NETGEAR AC3200 Nighthawk X6 Tri-Band WiFi Router (R8000) also has serious problems that Netgear is working on if you use a wired SONOS connection. I guess I should add that since the firmware upgrades my extender has performed flawlessly and I have not had to touch it since July so at the 6 month mark I am still deliriously happy with it.

UPDATE MAY 2015: Well have been using this thing for over a year now and after 1 firmware upgrade (a shockingly easy and user friendly procedure) back last July I have not had to touch thing thing at all. We have had a couple of 1 hour power outages recently and everything came back up without any assistance from me (which I love). Had a few momentary outages (like less than 5 seconds) and I had to reboot my system once since it made my router forget where it was it seemed and affected my video streaming to my Roku box. Bottom line is I have installed 1 firmware update and rebooted my system 1 time in over a year now. Compared to my previous extender/router combinations that is like total hands free usage. Still the best router/extender combo ever, there have been some technology improvements since I wrote the original review but 90+% of people will never need or use the features they will pay huge $$$$ for so if you got this far in my review, save a few bucks and buy this combo and you will have everything you need for the best setup you can get short of using 2 routers hardwired together which will cost you more money and maybe your wife won't kill you for putting holes in her walls (if you think it is NOT her house you are delusional). I keep looking for a good reason to upgrade this system but for surfing, video streaming and overall performance for normal people, this is the setup you want NETGEAR Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band Wi-Fi Gigabit Router (R7000) with this extender NETGEAR AC1200 High Power 700mW Dual Band Wi-Fi Range Extender - Desktop with 5 Ports (EX6200) which is NOT cheap but IS cheaper than the top line stuff with features you will never need/use and you won't have to buy anything to improve it for at least 5 years and probably closer to 10 unless they come out with some huge leap in technology that everybody starts using.
2626 comments| 327 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
This is an amazing product that was easy to set up and use. It provides you the ability to set up either a range extender or and Access Point with your WIFI system to provide better coverage of your home or office. The amazing thing about this is that it is a dual band WIFI range extender and you can increase the coverage of your home, office or yard with both the 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz bands if your main WIFI router is a dual band unit.

The unit is easy to set up and extend the working range of your existing WIFI and it really was technically very easy to set up and use. In the box you will find the WIFI extender/Access Point and an installation guide for the unit. On the front of the unit you will six LEDs that provide you operational information and they are:
* The Router Link LED
* The Router Arrow LED
* The Client Arrow LED
* The Client Link LED
* The Power LED
* The WPS LED (WIFI Protected Setup)

The Antennas on the unit are adjustable and that allows you to shape the WIFI coverage to best suit your home and installation. On the back of the unit you will find the AC wall plug to power the unit. There is also a logo that tells you that the default access is http: // www . mywifi ext.net (Ignore the spaces in the address) and the user name is Admin and the password is password. Please make sure to change them to avoid a neighbor hacking into your WIFI extended system and changing the programming/setup. The back lable also lists your WPS Pin, Serial Number, the MAC address for the 2.4 GHz band and the MAC address for the 5 GHz band.

On the side of the extender you will find a hole to stick a narrow object into to perform a factory reset. There is a WPS button, a power on/off button and a slide switch to select either Access Point or Extender modes. There is also a 1 Giga bit Ethernet port that can be used to either output Ethernet or to input Ethernet when you use the device in the Access Point mode.

Here are the basic differences to using a Range extender versus an Access Point.

Range Extender
Pros:
* Fast and easy to set up
* No Ethernet cable plug in required
* Extends range of your WIFI system
* It is a dual band extender for 2.4 GHz and 5GHz as long as your Main WIFI router is also dual band.
Cons:
* Cuts the WIFI system data transmission speed in half as it is split between receiving data from your devices and transmitting data to your Main WIFI router.

Access Point
Pros:
* Faster data transmission using Ethernet hard wiring back to the Main WIFI router.
* Ability to spilt operation WIFI channels to offer broader bandwidth of your WIFI
* Ability to use the same SSID and security password as the Main WIFI router
Cons:
* Requires an Ethernet hardware connection back to your main WIFI router

In my example on the video I showed how to set up the range extender for both of the 2.4 GHz band and the 5 GHz band. My main WIFI router is a NetGear Nighthawk AC1900. Here is the link if you would like to see that product.

NETGEAR Nighthawk AC1900 Dual Band WiFi Gigabit Router (R7000)

In my video I show my existing WIFI network signal strength and how I already use a main WIFI router and a powerful WIFI Access Point to cover my home and my yard. I use an Android app that works on an Android tablet or a Kindle Fire and the app is free on Amazon. Here is its link:

Wi-Fi Analyzer

I show how to set up the range extender using the WPS button on both the range extender and on my main WIFI router. Plug in the range extender and turn it on and press the WPS button after the power light turns green. It will begin flashing and you have 2 minutes to press the WPS button on your main router and when it begins flashing then the two units will link together. You have just set up the 2.4 GHz band on the range extender. When you are successful the Link LED is green and the WPS LED is a solid green. I show in the video how the range extender now is broadcasting WIFI with the same SSID as I used before but with the added extension of "_2GEXT". I even show the WIFI signal on the WIFI analyzer tool. If you only have a 2.4 GHz WIFI you can now unplug the range extender and move it to an area of your home that still gets WIFI signals but a bit weaker and plug the unit back in and it will relink to your main WIFI router and begin operation in about 1 minute after your plug it in.

If you have also a 5 GHz band you just press the WPS button a second time and then press the WPS button on your main router and the 5 GHz band is now also linked and the range extender is now using and extending both the 2.4 and 5 GHz bands. I show on an iPad Air that both bands are working and the new extensions on my SSID name for the 2.4 GHz band of "_2GEXT" and the new extension for the 5 GHz band of "_5GEXT". I moved the range extender about 60 feet away from the main router and plugged it back in and the unit was providing full strength WIFI for the 2.4 and the 5 GHz bands. I show that on the WIFI analyzer and the WIFI network power increase created by the range extender was amazingly good.

Setting up the system using the WPS buttons was fast and easy. It literally took longer to read two or three small pages in the manual than it did to set the system up. This is an excellent product and it takes a big house like mine and allows you to cover an entire home with WIFI and even into your deck, porch and yard. I then ran Speedtest on my iPad Air and I could attach to either the 2.4 GHz or the 5 GHz bandwidths and I could download at 17.69 Mbps and upload at 1.84 Mbps on the 5GHz band and 13.16 Mbps download and 1.88 Mbps upload on the 2.4 GHZ band. I rate this product at 5 stars for ease of use and the performance that I got. My network ISP is ATT rated at 18 Mbps.

Don't forget to change the user name and the password for the device after you have set it up. That way a neighbor will not be able to hack in and reset your range extender/access point. Make sure to write down your new user name and the password. If you forget it you will have to do a factory reset and set up your range extender again.

I was supplied a sample for test and evaluation. A review was not promised to the supplier in exchange for the sample.
2424 comments| 522 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 21, 2014
Ok first the good...

it works as advertised. It clearly does a great job as a repeater. Dual band, single band, does it all and does it all well. Lots of options here and did what I needed to do - replace my old wireless bridges and give my computer (work home here) exclusive access to the 5Ghz band and provide some better coverage in a bonus room (where it is only used after I'm done working).

Second, "ok"...

that vertical stand you see in the photo? plan on using it. when the device sits horizontally it gets very very warm. If you have to keep it vertical I'd plan on getting some heat sinks to sit above and below of the device. might even crack open the case, make a hole, and attach directly to the board/cpu with heat xfer paste.

And finally "same on you Netgear"..

proprietary software to hook up a printer to the USB port? (kind of)Proprietary software to use as a NAS? we back in 2003? these devices have a shelf life (e.g. working in my house for 6-7 years) what makes me think you are going to keep updating your software that long to work the next version of windows? or Mac OS.? I have an old Linksys PSUS4, now nearing 8 years old, that doesn't use any proprietary software (LPR, TCP/IP - ok this device did if you needed bi-directional communication, but i don't) - which sadly I had to connect back up on my network as I thought this would be suitable replacement. unreal. they should be ashamed...the printer software didn't even work which is worse part. imagine this could be corrected with a firmware update - and i'd recommend they do this.
11 comment| 129 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 22, 2014
Note: I received a beta version of this product in exchange for an honest review.

The EX6200 is a great product. I currently have this setup in a garage so I can get Wi-Fi signal in my backyard. The two external antennae mean I can easily go 500+ feet away and still get great signal quality. For example, I can watch a 1080p video, on the other side of the backyard without any buffering.

Design

There is a USB 3.0 port on the front that can function as a home backup, temporary file storage, music streaming, etc. It also works great. I currently have a 32GB USB 3.0 flash drive plugged in that stores all my music. From that flash drive I stream to various devices. For example: A laptop connected to outdoor speakers.
Also it features 5 GIGABIT Ethernet ports that function as a switch. I have 3 devices that are connected. They function as advertised. No problems.
This extender also has a power button. Useful to those who have the device plugged in a hard to reach location. One could easily push the button to turn it off, if on a vacation, etc.

Performance

The setup for the extender took less than five minutes. You power it on, connect to an SSID named NETGEAR_EXT, open a browser and type the URL listed in the manual, and follow the on screen setups.
OR you could simply press the WPS on your router, and press the WPS button on the extender. The two will "talk" and the extender will configure itself! This is impressive.
This extender features something called "Fastlane Technology" which speeds up ONE Wi-Fi band. Instead of extending both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz, it extends one with maximum performance. For example I connect to the extender using the 5 GHz band. The extender connects to the router using 2.4 GHz, and to the client (my devices) with the 5 GHz band. This technology claims to offer better video streaming performance. I haven't really seen a difference, however.

If you are in the market for a GREAT range extender, look no further! This is the BEST extender offered in the market right now!

UPDATE 07/04/14: Still working great. Only reboots when I update the firmware. Currently there are 6 devices connected to the extender, and 17 to the router. A new 64gb USB flash drive is connected and handles Windows backups. No performance degradation.

UPDATE 10/13/14: Still running fine since July 4th. 101 day up time. I have put a laptop cooling pad under the extender to keep it cool.

Note: I always do a factory reset (hold reset button for 7 seconds) after updating the firmware.
2121 comments| 203 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 29, 2014
This Netgear Range Extender really filled the bill for me. I had a dead spot in my home downstairs. My router is on the second level of my house, and I could not get a Wi-Fi signal in over half the rooms on the first level. Well, thanks to this Netgear EX6100 I now have wireless internet pushed through my entire lower level of my home.

They were easy to set-up if you follow the instructions given. I never used a range extender before as this was my first product of this kind. But, I had no trouble setting them up just by following the provided instructions. I also read some instructions from Netgear's website on this model while waiting for them to show up in the mail. I am totally satisfied and very happy at how well it performs. It does EXACTLY what it claims. It really and truly extended my Wi-Fi signal where i had none before.

I recommend this unit very highly to anybody looking to fill dead spots where you can't get a Wi-Fi signal!
0Comment| 169 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 2, 2015
First off I'm currently with AT&T U-verse with internet speed up to 75mbps, I have the Arris NVG589 Wi-Fi router & modem. My problem was that the modem would not send a strong enough Wi-Fi signal to my office. My internet speeds were only topping at 16mbps with two Wi-Fi bars.(as seen in picture) in this certain area. The router is only about 35ft away from my office were I'm having my issues. After reading reviews I decided to get a powerline adapter, wow was that a mistake after setting it up I was only getting 3mbps speeds. So I returned that and decided to go with the Netgear AC1200 Ex6200 extender. People said that you will get better Wi-Fi signal but speed will be compromised. This was my last resort so I said screw it lets try it out.

After setting this unit up (which is very easy) I was blown away how much faster my network ran. I'm currently in my office connecting at 74mbps. My speeds were never compromised at all, it actually increased my speed and range of my Wi-Fi signal. I'm glad I didn't listen to the people who gave this product a bad review. I would recommend this extender to everyone.
review image review image
I am impressed by the ease of installation and by the expanded range that the Netgear EX6100 (aka AC750) gives to my home network. I had this up and running within minutes, and the clear directions made it a breeze. That said, the need to manually connect to the subnetwork can be a pain when I'm moving around the house.

First, the excellent: I cannot emphasize how easy this dual band extender is to set up. I plugged it into a wall outlet in the same room as my router and followed the directions to connect via WPS. It took less than a minute. To add the dual band feature, I merely had to repeat the same sequence again. In two or so minutes, I could unplug the range extender and plug it into any wall outlet in my house, and it connected to my home network within a minute or so, without my having to do anything other than wait. I love that the lights on the device indicate an excellent/green, good/amber, and poor/red signal so that I could position it in the best possible location. It works with any brand router. I tested it with both a Netgear and a Linksys router, both dual band, both with equally excellent results. The speed of the internet connection seems to remain the same as with the main network; I haven't noticed any lags.

Second, the not-so-good: This is a range extender, not a repeater, which means that it creates its own subnetworks (YourNetwork_2GEXT and YourNetwork_5GEXT) that you then have to manually connect to. For stationary electronics such as televisions, this usually isn't an issue because they can remain connected to one subnetwork without your having to do anything else. For other devices such as laptops and smart phones that you move around the house, it can be a real pain. I hate having to change my network settings if I move to a certain room and then change them again when I move into a different area. Also, if you stream from one device over your home network to another, you may run into problems. For instance, I have an AirPlay speaker in one room of my house where I get a weak signal. If I try to play music from my computer (closer to the router) to the speaker (closer to the Netgear extender), I can't do it because they are on different networks. One of the two has to use a weaker signal. I actually had to give up on the idea of strengthening the signal to this room via the Netgear Extender, not because the extender wouldn't work but because I couldn't conveniently use it as I wanted. If this product worked as a repeater -- that is, as an range extender to my home network without the creation of additional subnetworks -- I'd rate it a full five stars. It would enable me to use it throughout my house for a variety of devices and uses. Mobile devices such as my iPhone and iPad hand off the network when I move to different locations; however, anything that needs to be on the same network as the device doesn't work.

One of the possible issues of a range extender is a dropped signal or erratic signal, something that can ruin any streaming experience. So far, I haven't noted any such issues when a device is connected to the EX6100, but, if I do, I'll return to note them. I have positioned my extender in a location with a strong signal (green light rather than amber one) for best possible results, although I've also had good results in an amber location.

This range extender does a fantastic job of emitting strong, reliable signal strength to cover houses with multiple floors and large square footage. I even get a good signal outside. I just wish that I didn't have to connect/disconnect as I move about the house. Note: I received a sample for review.

-- Debbie Lee Wesselmann
1717 comments| 266 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 2, 2015
When it works it is wonderful, unfortunately it doesn't work very long. The first unit failed within a week and Amazon replaced it immediately. Thank you Amazon! The second unit operated perfectly for 5 months and then became very slow, followed by intermittently not working at all. I did multiple resets but never got the unit to operate more than about 10 minutes and even then the speed was never better than dial-up. I emailed Netgear tech support and got a prompt reply explaining the unit only carried 90 days of free tech support but it did give me a number to call. Since it was still within the 1 year hardware warranty I figured I'd call them and get an RMA. Typical call center support I could barely understand with suggestions that it was everything except the repeaters problem. I was offered the chance to buy a support contract several times and I explained that I didn't need tech support I needed to start the RMA process. I know the guy was just reading his check list but he never understood the unit had worked and now no longer did. No, it was not the electrical outlet, nor was the extender moving around my house, nor was it the ISP, ... After stumbling around for half an hour with "support" I finally gave up in frustration. There is no way I would pay for this type of "support". Essentially you are on your own after Amazon's return period is up.
The manufacturer commented on the review below
on February 20, 2015
Would have liked to give zero stars, 1 star is too much of a rating for this.

Extremely difficult to set up. Hardwired to a laptop the browser wouldn't connect. Next I tried connecting wirelessly. Same page about getting there by mistake. Netgear online support is a joke. Finally, after 3 hours of researching and following netgear support pages and forums I set it up using the WPS buttons on this extender & my access point, but then no further configuration is possible without having to go thru the whole process again. The supplied documentation is a joke also.

Despite what netgear sales said this will NOT work as an access point, wiring it to your router will only result in conflicts and loss of internet connectivity. And I called their sales to discuss my needs and this is what they recommended. Clueless.....

As far as extending the signal, it does work, but only marginally better than with just my existing access points and took a long time for my devices to get an IP address.

Calls to netgear support are painful to get thru to a human being, who then can't speak English enough to understand.

I am returning this and will never buy a netgear product again.