Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Shop Shop Popular Services _fof _fof _fof  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now toystl17_gno

100%
Format: Paperback|Change

Showing 1-8 of 8 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 17 reviews
on April 6, 2001
The first thing I want to point out for many readers who may not know this: Lincoln Stein is the author of CGI.pm -- the module that is resonsible for a vast majority of perl powered websites on the internet. Second, Lincoln has contributed enormous amounts of code to the perl community, and I originally bought this book as an insight to the code of his that I have and want to work with further.
Let me say that a lot of the book focuses on modules like Net::Telnet and Net::FTP. That isnt particularly useful to me because I have a firm understanding of them already.
The real meat of the book, if you ask me, is the discussion of fully multiplexed servers that are able to handle many simultaneous upstreams and downstreams, and do a vast array of things.
His code is very clear and concise, as well as commented and explained throughout the text. This is definitely something every perl programmer who writes network maintenance code should have.
on May 14, 2010
I recently took a perl programming class as part of a masters degree program in software engineering. We used the standard camel book (that I also bought through Amazon). Since the course did not really do much with general network programming and since I wanted this type of capability around the office, I purchased this book. In combination with the skills I picked up in the course, I have been using the information in this book for putting together scripts for testing web and ftp capabilities of the product that I support. I have been making good use of it.

I would recommend this book, along with the camel book, if you are creating perl scripts for testing/using network connected products.
on June 22, 2010
As a network engineer, there are certain things I need to get out of the network quickly, without buying loads of software packages. This book gives you all the tools necessary to create your own scripts for managing, gathering information from, and tweaking your network. I never let this book leave my side. Couple the scripts in this book with some PHP/Java/HTML knowledge and you can write your own internal tools (as I have) or add more functionality to open source tools that are out there (as I also have).
on August 31, 2015
This book is a fantastic resource. I use it often when writing Perl scripts that require networking.
on July 22, 2013
Very straight forward introduction to network programming with perl.
With this you can learn how to make your program connect to, or have connections from
a variety of other programs using different protocols.
on May 14, 2014
The book is right and thanks for Amazon make shopping books as easy as 123. really like it.
will keep buying them.
on August 10, 2003
This book is excellent. This is one of very few books that the author really takes time, has a good plan to write a book and have good understanding of the subject.
I read many computer books that are just repetitive so it can make the books thick enough to look like a 'good book' (May be this is what US raaders like). I try my best to avoid those books. Those books do not say much in hundreds of pages.
But this book is not that kind of book. Every pages are worth to read. It is quite easy to follow. (I do know a bit of TCP/IP from reading other books before I read this book.) E.g. Stevens TCP/IP books. Unfortunately he died and he won't be able to update those great books.
Some authors are not professional, they just copy here and there. Then they put everything together. Those are terrible books to read. Those terrible books explain some simple concept again and again and take up hundreds of pages that can be done in half of volume. It is not just wasting the readers time (time is money) but also wasting the resource (trees)! Even most college textbooks are that way. Sometimes it is even worst since they know you won't haave much choices!
I seldom to give 5 stars. This book does deserve 5 stars.
You will enjoy this one if you like networking.
on June 14, 2003
This is one of my favorite Perl books. It really serves what it says it will. It covers a great amount of Perl coding, but like the title says, goes into a lot of networking code, functions and so on. For Perl network programming, you really should have and use this book.