Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Neutrogena Ultimate Sport Sunscreen Spray,SPF 70+, 5 ounce
Amazon Vehicles Back to School Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer TheKicks TheKicks TheKicks  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Florida Georgia Line Shop Now

Style Name: SPF 70+ Spray|Size: 5.0 Ounce|Change
Price:$29.97+ Free shipping

on February 1, 2007
I am a biochemist by education and was a teaching in physiology in a university. As such, I am very knowledgeable about chemistry and the human body in general. I really like Neutragena products and this product is certainly very high quality. For most people, I think it offers great protection, but not the best protection for people who need to be very conscious of sun exposure and the possibility of skin cancer.

According to my dermatologist, recent studies have shown that SPF 15-30 wipes off after a few hours and doesn't offer adequate protection after that time. This is partly due to most people not using enough. In other words, they underestimate how much they need to apply to get that level of protection.

For this reason, Neutrogena SPF 45 or 55 is better. Also, the Neutrogena Ultra Sheer products have been updated to include a technology called Helioplex. Most dermatologists that I know feel that this makes a difference in effectiveness and for some people this is going to be very important.

I have used both this product and the higher SPF Helioplex formulations. In practice, I have found BOTH adequate for my needs. What I particularly like is that you don't even know you have the product on. It has virtually no scent and it really is so sheer you can't even notice it. Both of these products stay on a long time and are good for all day use, but my understanding is that the Helioplex formulation is even better. Further, it feels exactly the same on the skin. The only drawback is it's a bit more expensive.

This is also a good product because it protects against both UVA and UVB rays. Both are implicated in skin cancer and it's important to protect yourself against both. If you are looking for an everyday sunscreen this might be the one. However, if you want the very best protection try the Neutrogena Helioplex SPF 55. This will give you the most peace of mind.
11 comment| 73 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 9, 2005
My daughter and I have searched for a sunscreen that both of us would like, and never found one that was completely satisfactory. She has oily skin prone to breakouts, and mine is combination. Every one we tried always left a greasy feel and look to the face, even the ones that were supposed to be oil-free.

Finally, I came across a review of this product on Paula Begoun's website ([...] The review sounded good, so I went out and bought some right away. My daughter and I both LOVE this product! It's the only sunscreen we have ever used that doesn't leave a greasy feel or look to the skin. It dries to a matte finish, and works very, very well under foundation, too. Without foundation, there is no need to use powder to kill the shine. And it feels so light on the skin, you barely know it's there!

If you have oily or combination skin and have never found a sunscreen that doesn't look and feel greasy, try this one! It's the best!
on April 20, 2012
Very glad we had bought this for our vacation to the beach! I forgot the tops of my feet and when they were burnt to a crisp I realized how well this worked! My husband spent several hours in the ocean and it did not wear off after 5 to 6 hours! When it says water resistant - it really is waterproof & sweat resistant!

However, if you are looking for a tan, don't get this. The 45 spf is too strong to get a tan quickly, I barely had any color after a 7 day vacation in my swimming suit!
on June 26, 2010
The spray application of Neutrogena's popular Ultimate Sport Sunblock is an excellent addition to your sun protection arsenal.

First off, a few notes on usage. We use this on arms, legs, fronts and backs. It's ease of application assures we don't miss spots that rub on creams often do. We still like to actually rub it on to the skin though as it's easy for it to accumulate on the surface or on body hair, and rubbing it in after spraying assures an even application. Also, don't use this on the face or in poorly ventilated areas, you probably don't want to inhale all the organic compounds in this or any other sunscreen. Finally, this sunscreen has oxybenzone in it which can cause skin sensitivity in some folks. (There are other concerns about this class of organics for sunscreen use, but they are generally significantly safer that sunburns and skin cancers.) So in the end, this product doesn't preclude cream based sunscreens, especially for the face, but application is a lot more complete and easier for the trunk and limbs.

Results with this sunscreen have been great for us. When applied evenly (and reapplied every two to three hours when in the sun) we have not gotten burned once. It has no unpleasant odors and isn't greasy once it has dried, which takes about two minutes in our dry climate. We buy it in bulk from amazon and save a lot over the drugstore prices. We always keep a can on hand for outside activities.
VINE VOICEon June 3, 2006
This is the 2nd year that I have used the Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Dry-Touch Sunblock, SPF 45. I have Normal to Oily, sensitive, acne-prone skin. I am fair and can burn easily.

I think this product is well worth the money, it is quickly absorbed into the skin and has a dry feel. It does not make your skin look greasy and has never caused me to break out. I apply it in the morning and it pretty much lasts me a good 8 hours. The time will vary depending on your sun tolerance, though. It is also conveniently sized to toss in your bag and lasts quite awhile.
on August 8, 2010
I like Neutrogena in general. I find that their products (for the most part) are pretty easy on my skin and won't break it out.

Now, I'm quite fair-skinned, and I want to keep it that way. I burn easily, even in the winter, if it's a clear sunny day. Because of some of the stuff I put on my skin regularly, it is an absolute requirement that I have a good sunscreen on hand to use every single day, or else it'll pretty much negate all my efforts to make my skin look better.

So on my search for a good sunscreen, a friend's mom showed me this stuff. I'd been eager to try it out for myself, because I'd heard it works really well and I hate greasiness of regular 'ol sunscren.

It certainly doesn't make my skin greasy, but it leaves a bit of shine, like most sunscreens do. When I put it on, I barely know it's there, which is a huge plus! I just get a generous amount and cover any area that'll be exposed to the sun before I start the day.

The only drawback to this stuff is that it has a sunscreen-ish smell that I'm not particularly fond of, it's not a reeking, knock-you-out dear god what is that kind of smell, but it is strong enough to where you'll know it's on, and anyone close to you might catch a whiff, too. I'm not going to lie, when I first sniffed it, I was really really hesitant to slather it on...I usually have to spray on some body spray to cover it up, or else people will wonder why my skin smells so weird. After a while, though, maybe half an hour, I notice the smell kind of diminishes, but it's still there if you waft hard enough.

All in all, I like this sunscreen. As an avid sunscreen fanatic (for good reasons, of course!) who wears SPF 45 all year round, even in the wintertime, this is honestly one of my favorite products I've found. It's not too expensive, I got it on sale for about $7, and if you use it every day, it should probably last you a few weeks (provided you're putting enough on!)The only drawback is the smell, while it's not bad, it's noticeable, but I think it's still a great sunscreen that's worth a shot if you're looking for something that won't make your skin feel like a slip-n-slide.
on January 19, 2004
Recently diagnosed with melasma, I was told that I must wear SPF 30 every day, regardless of my level of outdoor activity. I struggled to find a product that I could wear under foundation. Even the high-end department store cosmetic retailers couldn't provide a product that didn't leave that traditional greasy feel. This product is fabulous -- moisturizing but not greasy. With or without make-up, it leaves your skin looking and feeling great. And it hasn't irritated, inflamed, or otherwise bothered my very sensitive skin.
on August 8, 2013
I read somewhere that the best sunblock is the one you'll actually use, so, this is it. Has a pleasant, light, powdery feel. I found a knock-off brand at a drugstore with the exact same ingredients and in the exact same quantities, but, with the right deal, it's SLIGHTLY cheaper to buy the real thing on amazon. Speaking of which, the 1-pack of 45 SPF is (despite the oddly pricey shipping) the best deal among the 1 vs. 2-packs and various SPFs offered here. At my time of purchase, anyway, it came out to $2.64/oz. The 2-pack is $2.79/oz. The next cheapest is the 2-pack of 70 SPF, at $3.09/oz, and the worst is the SPF 100 1-pack or the SPF 30 1-pack (a tie, both costing $4.12/oz).

Speaking of SPF... I've read from reputable sources that once you get up to 30 or 35 or so, you're good, and the super high numbers like 100 don't necessarily provide better coverage. It's more a matter of USING it and using ENOUGH of it, so save your $. SPF 45 is definitely fine.

PS. I read somewhere that the bottles with black behind 'Neutrogena' as opposed to light blue, have some new formula that causes rashes, but I used both products (like, one on one arm, one on the other) multiple times to check that, and was glad to notice no difference. It would be sad if we could no longer count on Neutrogena.
on March 27, 2012
Please do not use this sunblock if your skin is even remotely sensitive. I purchased this because Neutrogena products typically work well on my somewhat sensitive skin. I put this on and within one hour had a horrible rash all over my face, neck, and chest. I have never experienced anything so awful. I stopped using it and (2 days later) the rash is still pretty bad.
on July 22, 2011
I have fair skin that tends to burn very easily, so I am very careful about my sunscreen. I had heard great things about this sunscreen, and I originally ordered the SPF 45 on Amazon, but it never arrived. So, I ended up buying bottles of it at my local grocery store.

My initial conclusion? The sunblock was fantastic!

It wasn't too oily, as far as high SPF sunscreens go, and it absorbed into my skin within minutes, leaving a soft (almost powdery) finish. It didn't flake off or look ghastly white at SPF 45 either, though the SPF 55 did both. It did look a bit shiny, which I found strange since it felt powdery, but, honestly, most people couldn't tell I was wearing sunscreen, even though I generally caked it on.

I did notice (having purchased the SPF 55 and the SPF 45) that the higher the SPF the thicker and oiler the sunscreen got. The SPF 55 felt MUCH heavier than the SPF 45.

Unfortunately, the SPF 45 started to make my skin sting when I put it on, and the SPF 55 absolutely made my skin burn. At first, I thought it was because my skin was getting sensitive from my retinol night cream, but I tried using the sunscreen after I'd discontinued using the cream, and it still left my skin stinging and irritated. In fact, the last time I used the SPF 55, it left my skin blotchy and red for days, particularly around my eyes. The SPF 45 hasn't left my skin feeling as painful, but still leaves it sensitive to the touch and super easily irritated/irritable.

Maybe I'm just allergic or my skin doesn't agree with something in this product, but I would be careful. I haven't had this problem with other sunscreens I've used before or since, including Banana Boat and Shiseido products.