Industrial Deals HPC Save up to 90% on textbooks Womens Red and Rose nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc New year, new music. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Garnet Jewelry modern furniture and decor Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon startrek startrek startrek  Three new members of the Echo family Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop now

on October 13, 2013
I suppose not every account of the Holocaust can be written the way "The Diary of Anne Frank" was written, but I really did expect something similar. Sadly, although the writers tried, it didn't quite convey the emotions intended. The narrative was also a little disjointed. It didn't have the kind of flow that most well-written stories do. I get the feeling though that in the writer's desire to convey hope in the book, and perhaps also because it must have been very difficult to relive this time in her life, the difficulties and the pain she experienced was hardly touched upon. I give her credit for effort though.
on December 26, 2013
The author pieced this story together from multiple accounts, jumping form view to view, sometimes making the story seem a bit disjointed. There's plenty of highs and lows, and overall it is an interesting read, but it just wasn't that engrossing. Is not a long book, but it took me about two weeks to finish it when it could have taken two days because it failed to pull me in completely.
on August 15, 2013
Although the narrators described what they saw and how they survived in the concentration camp, I found it more about the narrators' personalities than the camp life. As I was anticipating more of a chronicle of the atrocities in the camp, I was disappointed in the " Aren't I wonderful!" attitude of one of the characters.
on May 4, 2012
First of all, I just want to say -- God bless those who lived these stories. I cannot even imagine enduring such things.

Having said that, however, I have to say that this book is a supreme disappointment. I really don't want to disparage the efforts of those involved, because I'm sure these stories are of the utmost importance to their families, but anyone considering a purchase deserves to know what they're getting.

At first, reading about Edith's childhood was kind of charming, if not coherent or easy to read, because it was told in a rather childlike way. No polished writing, no carefully constructed chronologies, just various remembrances pieced together in a very haphazard way. But unfortunately, that same style carried through into the adult experiences, including the concentration camps and life afterwards. It was terribly inappropriate beyond the quaint early-childhood recollections. Though an effort was made to present the accounts in a vaguely chronological order, it makes for very difficult reading due to the incoherence and randomness of the storytellers' thoughts.

Clearly there was no real editing done here -- it seems to be just a collection of almost stream-of-consciousness thoughts written down by the participants, and then thrown together into a "book" by someone(s) with no clue whatsoever about writing, editing, and publishing. I'm not expecting perfection or even professionalism, but -- sadly -- this book doesn't measure up to even the lowest of writing and publishing standards.

Don't take my word for it -- download the free sample and see for yourself. Though I have to say, I believe the incoherence and randomness got somewhat worse as the book went on.

I can also verify what others said about the Kindle version -- there are several places where the narrative is physically out of order, like someone literally cut sections of text in mid-sentence or mid-thought, and then pasted them elsewhere (though usually nearby). You may be able to piece them together, but it certainly makes the reading that much more difficult.

By the way, lest you think I'm just upset over feeling that I paid too much for a low-quality book, I got this when Amazon was offering it for FREE. So I don't even have any money invested here.
on September 6, 2015
I couldn't get past the third chapter. To me, boring and predictable and not really even very readable--a stunted style.
on December 31, 2013
A good story but would've benefited from an editor who could've pulled everything together in a better linear fashion. I didn't finish it.
on January 5, 2017
I loved this book. Edith truly is a survivor.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on July 16, 2013
Slow but stuck with it. Although the hardships of the families were sad, true, and the heroism was interesting. I did learn a few facts I wasn't aware.
on August 9, 2013
This book would have benefitted from some deft editing. A little information was needed to clarify timelines and locations. It was very much like reading an author's rough draft, not a finished book.
on July 13, 2013
Well written story of the horror of the Halocaust with an ending of true love. A pox on any naysayer of the Halocaust. May we all pray there will never again be such human destruction on this earth!