Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: I Never Thought I'd See the Day!: Culture at the Crossroads
Your Garage Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer PilotWave7B PilotWave7B PilotWave7B  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis DollyParton Shop Now

on October 4, 2011
This is the fourth book written by Dr. Jeremiah based on a prophetic series given at his church in San Diego over the past several years. The author (who has been in ministry for five decades and counting) writes about what he never thought he'd see happening in America and in the World by way of cultural ramifications that impact Christians and the world.

He bases the book on two specific Bible passages. Hosea 4:6, "My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge; because you have rejected knowledge, I reject you from being a priest to me. And since you have forgotten the law of your God, I also will forget your children. And 1 Chronicles 12:32, "Of Issachar, men who had understanding of the times, to know what Israel ought to do." In other words, Dr. Jeremiah is concerned that we as Christians are not overwhelmed by the times we find ourselves living in - that we are knowledgeable about what is going on; and encouraged in the truth, so that we can effectively apply the Scriptures and make an impact on an ever increasing attack on God and His people around the globe.

Dr. Jeremiah tackles the following 9 specific developments in these times we are living in:

1) The rise of angry atheists and how they seek to intimidate believers in God at every level of society.
2) The intensification of spiritual warfare - the more the gospel spreads - the more the enemy attacks.
3) The dethroning of Jesus Christ as God come in the flesh and King of Kings and Lord of Lords in whom is salvation and the only hope for the world.
4) The redefining of marriage as articulated by God's definition in the Bible.
5) The moral deterioration of society both privately and publicly - especially among our so-called leaders.
6) Dr. Jeremiah writes, "Intertwined with this free fall in morality is the growing marginalization of the Bible, which has moved from the center of political and cultural discourse to the far edges--from providing the founding principles of our nation to becoming a resource for token verses as ornamental platitudes. Sadly, many Christians and a growing number of churches have followed the lead of the culture and pushed the Word of God away at the center of their lives."
7) The growing irrelevance of the Body of Christ in our society.
8) The growing influence of rogue nations.
9) The decline of America's loyalty and allegiance to Israel.

This book is very relevant, and provides historical and biblical ways to be prepared to know what we believe, why we believe it, and how to stand firm in God's truth and to be transformed by the renewing of our minds, so that we as Christians may be faithful in serving our Lord and Savior - Jesus Christ - until He returns. I highly recommend this book as informative, alarming, but also full of biblically helpful solutions and encouragement from a brilliant communicator of God's Word and how it applies to the times in which we are living.
66 comments| 89 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 19, 2011
This is a very well written book. Because of the vast amount of detail and information in this book, I do not recommend that people purchase the audiobook version, until you have read this book. There is so much information you will get easily bored and lost listening to an audio book. In this book Dr. Jeremiah addresses nine issues, which he believes, have significant implications on the church and the culture. The chapters in this book are as follows.

1. When Atheists would be Angry
6. When the Bible would be marginalized
7. When the Church would-be irrelevant
8. When a Muslim state could intimidate the world
9. When America would turn her back on Israel
10. When changing your mind could save your life!

The chapters are all filled with culture quotes, bible verses, explanations written for the average Christian in mind and not just the seminary education, and powerful illustrations. Dr. Jeremiah writes his chapters so well you will not want to put this book down! Each chapter was very exciting to me and I did a bit of highlighting and marking. The book would be worthless if those that read it, put it down after completing and do not think of what the book is all about. But this is something I could not do with this book, and very often did I take quotes from the book and post on my FaceBook wall. I also wrote a letter to an official of a government whom ignored my letter, but if everyone that read this book took the initiative to write their officials, maybe they will hear us out and change their ways. In the 9th chapter Dr. Jeremiah speaks a bit about Israel and highlights Gen 12:3 which says that God will bless those that bless Israel, and curse those that curse Israel. America has been blessed because of its support of Israel, but Dr. Jeremiah argues that America will soon be cursed because she is starting to turn her back on Israel. In another book, "Is God on Americas Side" Dr. Lutzer argues that America will be cursed because of her ungodliness, immorality, wickedness, etc.. I am not sure if support of Israel is all that is required for a blessing, but rather believe that there is more to the equation than just blessing Israel as Dr. Jeremiah argues later in the chapter. In the final chapter Dr. Jeremiah argues that Christians must be transformed by the Word of God, rather than conform to the culture. Sadly, most Christians are conformed to the world, rather than transformed by the scriptures. This is why its all the important to be in the word of God daily, to be active in church, reading good Christian books (like this one), be in prayer, and be devoted to carrying out the great commission and preaching the gospel to every creature (Mark 16:15). Christian get this book it will touch your heart, and inspire you to reach the culture for Christ.
on November 12, 2011
How I would like to see these topics discussed in more churches. Vital information. It's like the Church, which we know does this, doesn't want people to become worried or upset...let them figure it out on their own. Why not talk about this with encouraging scriptures....
on March 11, 2016
Appropriate for Christians and non Christians. History presented as a novel, followed by Biblical. Source and meaning for today. Read slowly, there is a lot to think about. NEVER Read two Jeremiah books at the same time. The above belongs to another book. I Never, etc is a disturbing book. It points how far we have fallen in a single lifetime. If you can read this and not be concerned about our children, there's something really wrong with you.
on May 19, 2016
.... so that you realize how far the decline of our society has gone. Great read. Don't despair, "Jesus said don't worry about tomorrow" but this is the world your kids and grandkids are inheriting and it is sad to be a witness of America as a nation losing its blessing.. On the other hand all these signs are foretold so the good news is (and was) that the Lord is in charge and that he is a loving God for those who look to him for Salvation. Note: At David's web sites there are both Audio and Video versions of this series (kits that even include this book), and a small group leaders guide book, so this could be a "wake up" study topic.
on November 10, 2011
I am 55 years old and I have heard a number of different people young and old say "I never thought I'd see the day," for a number of different reasons - but all relating to some major change or changes that have occurred in our society, in our culture, and the way we live as well as treat one another. In his compelling book, Dr. David Jeremiah, senior Pastor of Shadow Mountain Community Church in El Cajon, California and New York Times bestselling author, hits the proverbial "nail on the head" when it comes to being on point in regards to the fact that our culture in America and the world has changed in many distinctive ways - and not all for the better.

Dr. Jeremiah looks at our "culture at the crossroads" from a solidly faith based perspective. That point needs to be made and understood from the beginning. He begins his book with the famous line from the Wizard of Oz, "Toto, I've a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore," and goes on from there to share his own reflection that "Toto, we're not in America anymore." He does state that he is exaggerating by making his statement; however, the point he is making is that we are not in the America that we were in 50, 40 or even 20 years ago. Slowly things have changed...slowly people have changed and what was once thought to be inconceivable or unimaginable is now a part of our everyday existence and we have become so numbed and dumbed by the constant barrage of the news of terrible things happening, that we don't even react anymore. And that is heartbreaking to say the least.

In Chapter 1 of his book he writes about the current state and angry mood of as he refers to them "the New Atheists - referring to atheists such as Richard Dawkins, Sam Harris, Christopher Hitchens and others. Dr. Jeremiah writes, "Today's vocal crop of atheists has ramped up the volume, if not the substance, of the modern attack on religion that we see going on in several quarters." In other words, "The New Atheists" are now more vocal and vitriolic than they have ever been with their attacks against Christianity and religion and Dr. Jeremiah as well as countless others never thought he would see such a day as we are seeing today.

In the other chapters of his book author Jeremiah takes on such issues as "When Jesus Would Be So Profaned," "When Marriage Would Be Obsolete," When Morality Would Be In Free Fall;" all tragic signs of the times - that is the dramatic change in how people think and act today; but the chapter "When the Church Would Be Irrelevant" really speaks to and breaks my heart because all of the issues that he writes about in his book...it is because of the fact that the church, the body of Christ, in large part has made ourselves irrelevant for our times that we are experiencing what we are. There used to be any old saying that someone was so "heavenly minded that they were of no earthly good," however; I fear today that far too many professing "Christians" are so earthly minded that they are of no "heavenly" good. There is something terribly unsettling and wrong with that picture.

But the book does end with bad news leaving the reader wondering and worrying about the future and what to do about it. Quite the contrary is true. Dr. Jeremiah clearly and boldly writes how that despite all that is happening in our day...much of it not being good...that there is a reason to still have hope. And the reason to have hope is that through the experience of a radically changed mind and heart a person's life and soul can be saved and that person can experience as Jesus promised "an abundant life" now and embrace the hope of eternal life...in an unfathomably glorious life in a place called Heaven for all eternity. And THAT is truly good news for such a day as we are living in.

I have received a complimentary copy of the book from the publisher, Hachette Book Group, for reviewing it.
on December 8, 2013
More and more people of learning have got to start telling the truth about how America is sliding down the slippery slope of moral decay and mindless pursuit of hedonism! Dr. Jeremiah has the moral authority, like few others, to deliver this message!
on April 1, 2016
Wonderful and informative book. I am thankful I ordered it. Also ordered one for a friend's birthday. He was very pleased. Happy to be able to find Dr. Jeremiah's books. Sometimes they are not easy to locate. Very reasonably priced and in excellent condition.
on June 25, 2016
Just when I thought I'd almost seen everything myself. Just when I thought I was a "good" Christian, I read this book and it really opens your eyes, mind and heart letting the Lord in even more. A must read for all Christians & Non-Christians alike.
on May 7, 2016
I found this an excellent book to read. I like that each chapter is not very long, so I am able to read the chapter and put the book down for a few days. Dr Jeremiah does not disappoint. This book really makes you think. A must read for everyone.