Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far Introducing Prime Wardrobe nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Always ad-free. Learn more. Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now STL18_GNO

on November 13, 2014
The old 2010 blu-ray of this classic Timeless film was insulting had no special features at all
and the blu-ray transfer was s***
for some fans that don't know this film was 60% German made, German filmed
and about 40% American/British made
the film is based on German author Michael ende book of the same name of the film

there's 2 blu-ray versions, the WB 30th Aniversary edition & the 2012 German blu-ray version
first the 30th Anniversary edition
this time Warner bros have given fans brand new special features
1st Featurette RE-IMAGINING THE NEVERENDING STORY
which is 25min new recollections from the German Production team from the film
Wolfgang peterson, Producer Dieter Geissler, Screenplay writer Herman Weigal
Cinematographer Jost Vacano & Music Composer Klaus Doldinger
plus interviews with American executives Mark Damon & John Hyde.
the German crew speak English for this new featurette, no subtitles
only 2 Actors from the film have been newly interviewed Tami stronach & Gerald McRaney who played Bastian's father
Barret oliver & Noah hathaway who played Atreyu are not interviewed for some reason
maybe they were asked but Declined
this new featurette should've gone for maybe 40mins i think, but still very interesting to watch

2nd new featurette is RESTORATION
which is 10min interview with the person who did the blu-ray restoration for the film
the interview is German with English subtitles obviously, no surprise there
i couldn't see the point watching it, but it's here on the blu-ray

plus a new Audio commentary by Wolfgang peterson, very interesting commentary to
he gives more recollections on the film

there's also 2 Documentaries on this blu-ray
1st Doco is a 20mins featurette
MAKING OF THE NEVERENDING STORY
filmed in 2004 for the 2 Disc dvd German release only
in German language with English subtitles again

the 2nd Doco A WORLD OF FANTASIES
which has previously been watched on youtube.com as bootleg footage is now officially released on this blu-ray
55mins Behind the scenes on set footage in Germany 1983-1984 of the making of the film
very interesting behind the scenes footage if you can tolerate the English subtitles

there's also the 2012 German blu-ray release by Constantine film
which is the Extended version of The Neverending story run time 101mins
which i bought from amazon.de just to watch for curiosity reasons
this German version has roughly 4-5mins of extra scenes & Dialogue in the film
the extra scenes are not new scenes but are extra Dialogue & footage from the original scenes
in the U.S. version that's all
most noticeably is the end scene with Child empress crying out to Sebastian
this has been extended for an extra minute with footage of the Ivory tower crumbling

so both German & U.S. versions are very similar to each other
you can easily select English language 5.1 surround sound option in setup
so there are no English subtitles
but some of the Characters have been Dubbed in American English thou
for eg Indian Actor Deep roy who played Teeny weeny with his Racing snail has been Dubbed
by a very thick Texan Actor which does sound bizarre
Actor Tilo pruckner who plays Nighthob has been Dubbed aswell
Alan Oppenheimer who did the voice over work for the Gmork in the U.S. version
has a completely different voice, someone else did the Gmork voice in the German version
apart from that Falkor and the other Actors Patricia Hayes & sydney bromley voices are exact the same
Childlike empress & Atreyu voice's have not been Dubbed it's the same voice as the U.S. version.
the blu-ray transfer for the German release is exactly the same as the U.S. blu-ray
nice sharp & clear picture quality in 2:35:1 widescreen
the extras on the German blu-ray are 2004 retrospective German TV broadcast in German language
with English subtitles

the new special features is 30 years in the making & finally on blu-ray
this film has finally been given the respect it Deserves
personally i like both versions so i'm Happy i bought the German blu-ray aswell
i gave this 30th Anniversary & the German blu-ray 5 stars for sure, worth the cash for sure
you can easily buy the German blu-ray of amazon.de and get it shipped to the U.S.
21 people found this helpful
|44 comments|Report abuse
on February 11, 2018
Well it was time for my kids to see what their dad watched when he was a kid. This is a movie that surpasses the test of time. I really don't like to give full details of the movie/s, actors, and, plot etc. I will though let you know that the visuals on Blu ray looked so good I just don't know how they managed to clean up this 30 year old movie. If you have seen this movie when you were a child and want to spend some time with your kids being entertained or amazed by the characters in the movie I recommend you purchase this one.
on March 17, 2018
One of my ALL time favorite movies! There's a bit of the Irish mythologies in it, which is a plus. I wonder is this move one of Jim Henson's great movies of the 1980s? (Jim Henson Company of Muppets fame)? You can't expect to see computer generated effects when no one but NASA even had computers back then, and they used punch cards to run programs in batches. But that doesn't matter, because the story itself holds up so well. A fantastic, well done story always trumps effects anyway, and it's great to see a movie where story is the most important and does not suffer because of effects. It's a generous, moving film.
One person found this helpful
on July 29, 2017
Have seen this movie more times then I can count. It was and probably still is my grown Daughters favorite movie. So since we are introducing our Grandchildren to the old classics, well not the real old classics but the 80's and 90's, I picked this one for our movie night. They loved it! My 5 year old goes around singing the Never Ending Song and my 7 year old grandson also liked it. I will be getting the second movie for them.
on July 13, 2015
Movie is timeless, plotline does not need revisiting. I'm only here to comment that you should force plain old stereo when watching this movie, as the 5.1 upscaling that was done by my receiver made it unbearable, which is not the usual experience for me. After my kid insisted we watch it again, the next day, a second time in a row, we watched it on the smaller TV which has no surround sound and it was 10 times more pleasant to watch, no dynamic volume problems.

I found with the surround sound I was constantly turning down the thunderstorm sounds and then turning up the speech. I never have to do that for movies new or old, but this one was particularly bad for that.
4 people found this helpful
on October 8, 2016
This movie is great and I loved it. This comes with commentary. and some features like the making of the movie and a trailer. It's about a boy Bastian (Barret Oliver) who reads a book called The Neverending Story. In the story with Atreyu ( Noah Hathaway) and his horse Ortex must fight the Nothing. And don't forget the luck dragon named Falcor. And Bastian must give the empress a new name to save fantasia. I would recommend this to my friends and family who may want to get this film.
on February 2, 2017
My 3 sons who are now fathers watched this film when they were young. I watched it with my 10 year old grandson who is learning life. The film focuses on faith and hope. Faith that a young warrior can save a people and hope that the human child can relate to need of both. My grandson interacted with me as too the different scenes. A great teaching tool.
on February 5, 2017
The Most Amazing, Beautiful Movie and Soundtrack for 3-100 year olds! Never lose your Dreams or the 'Nothingness' will take over and destroy everything you know! BTW, THIS is (First Version) the ONLY to ever watch- Sequels are All El Cheapo and ruin your Experience of the Majesty of the Original!
on March 23, 2014
I'm a child of the 80's so this movie is a concentrated dose of pure nostalgia. I used to own the DVD but when I wanted to share it with younger friends who'd never seen it I realized someone had taken it from my collection. So I bought here on Amazon and we devoured it with no problems.

This was one of my favorite movies growing up and it had a lot to do with planting the seeds of my lifelong obsession with the fantasy (and later scifi) genres of fiction.

The characters are classic and the monsters/creatures are old school animatronics/puppets so there's no odd out of place CGI.

It's a great watch for a family or anyone interested in how imagination applied to fantasy movies before the rampant reliance on computer imagery that is abused (imo) a little too much in these modern times.
on February 2, 2012
I bought this in a bout of buying 80's fantasies that I hadn't seen in years, such as Labyrinth, Legend, The Dark Crystal, etc. If you're going to see any of these again, they might as well be on blu-ray.

The quality was very good, but not great. There is some grain that could have been cleaned up a bit more for this release. That being said, it still looks phenomenal when compared to old VHS's or the newer DVDs. I would still recommend buying this on blu-ray if you have the option.

The audio is also done very well, and if I remember correctly it is in 5.1 surround for the first time. No complaints there.

The movie is obviously the same, although looking at it ten to twenty years later it does feel a little dated and corny. However, children would not think so. It is still emotionally poignant, even with the occasional overacting and cheesy script. Overall, a memorable and positive experience.
4 people found this helpful