Industrial Deals HPC Save up to 90% on textbooks Womens Red and Rose nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc New year, new music. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Garnet Jewelry Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Three new members of the Echo family Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop now

on November 8, 2015
Poe and Crockett search for a muderer through a glass darkly. Set in Baltimore this story becomes incredible as soon as we meet Crockett. Both characters are presented in caricature. Poe broods incessantly. Crockett golly gee dangs. The story itself is well done. I didn't see the finale coming but you might. It is an origin story of many of Poe's stories and poems. I enjoyed the book. It's a page turner no doubt. BUT I had to struggle to accept Crockett as written.
on March 30, 2017
Nothing like reading a story with Poe and Crockett in it.
on September 6, 2006
An ardent fan of Poe's (as well as a well-traveled fan of Baltimore's), I was at first hesitant to try this novel, but I'm so glad I did. I haven't enjoyed simply reading a novel this much in years. The wording and style is exquisite and the story thouroughly entertaining! I plan on getting the rest of Mr. Schechter's Poe novels simply based on this one. It's for fans of Poe, fans of mystery novels and fans of language.

Traci Belanger
on March 18, 2000
Yes, this book in written in an antiquated style (based on that of Edgar Allan Poe). That is one of the book's chief charms! The book is a real page-turner that will satisfy readers who are adventurous enough to go with the engaging rhythm of Poe's voice, which in Schechter's hands is pitch perfect. The less adventurous might be advised to stick with Grisham et al. When I think of that hapless fate, I am filled with the most awful, the most dreadful foreboding...
on April 8, 2013
Very good. I hope the author gives us another Poe mystery.

One negative comment: the editing was poor. I lost count of
the places where "the" was replaced by "die"; and other errors were common.
on September 21, 2013
Great book...I'm surprised it hasn't been made into a movie. Mr. Schecter, how about it? It would be a breeze for a screen play! How 'bout it?
on July 30, 2004
Unless you are familiar with EA Poe's works, you might want to steer clear of this. But if you have read his stories and poetry, this affectionate parody of his style is a scream. The plot is nothing more than a device to hang reworkings of Poe's fevered and overwrought (by 20th century standards) prose. Don't take it seriously, and you'll enjoy the ride.
on December 29, 2010
Purchased this as a gift for my sister. It arrived very quickly and in perfect condition. I'm extremely pleased.
on February 14, 2000
Though the partnership of Poe and Crocket is unlikely to have ever worked, the premise is fun. The author must have had enjoyed working the numerous references to Poe's stories into the details and plot of Nevermore. As a fan of Poe, I delighted in Schechter's attempt to duplicate the stilted and often tedious writing structure used by Poe - it made the first person narrative work. The whonunnit aspect of the book is somewhat contrived and rather anti-climactic, but the read is still enjoyable.
on February 1, 2015
This has been and remains one of my favorite books -- Nevermore. Why? I love the classics and the author so cleverly mimics Poe's style that it was like the author, Poe, long dead came to life again. I was spell bound and amused from the moment I opened the book. Steeped in the classics as I am, the high poetic language was a sheer joy to read, and the mystery and humor and relationship between Edgar and Sissy was great. Several years later, I am buying it again for my new Kindle reader. Why? Because I thought I would take a wild ride with Edgar and Sissy again. The actual book sits in the shelf next to some of my collectible books. :) I highly recommend the entire series.