Your Garage Luxury Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Mother's Day Gifts hgg17 Shop Popular Services animestrike animestrike animestrike  Introducing Echo Look Starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis Nintendo Switch Shop Now disgotg_gno_17

Platform: PC|Edition: DVD-Rom|Change

Showing 1-10 of 29 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 220 reviews
on January 26, 2014
I chose the lowest rating due to the fact I got sent a disk that was not working.
I disliked the fact that the user did not bother checking the disk to see if it worked before sending it.
This product was my first progression with Amazon, and the chances of me being satisfied are very slim.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 20, 2010
First of all, I'm a huge fan of the whole Forgotten Realms series. I loved the Baldur's Gate series and I really enjoyed the original NWN. Therefore, I was eager to play this game and I had high hopes that it would be as good as its predecessors.

Overall, I enjoyed this game, but there are some major flaws that detracted from its potential. First, the good:

-- I thought that the graphics were quite nice. Weapons with elemental enchantments display the characteristics by dripping acid, flashing with fire or ice, or pulsing with sonic energy. Likewise, the armor and equipment is well done. The environment is well designed, and if your system can handle it, you can extend the "view" to really gain a 3D feel. I have surround sound speakers, so that, combined with the graphics, really made it feel like I was in the game. Lastly, I was particularly impressed with some of the higher level spells. If you zoom back after casting massive area spells like Meteor Showers, you can enjoy watching a wide swath of terrain get absolutely pummeled.

-- The storyline for the first 85% of the game was fantastic. You start with the typical humble origins and progress through the game acquiring fame and prestige (I was a paladin). By the third act, you can really feel as if your character has accomplished great things, and that those efforts are acknowledged by NPCs in the game.

-- The music is simply great. Not only do they recycle some of the great music from NWN, but they also incorporate new tunes that really add to the ambiance of the game, whether you are fighting, exploring, or in a city/town. It's a bit irritating to have to convert the music files from .bmu to .mp3, but if you can manage it, you can add some of the better tracks to iTunes for when you're lounging around in your room.

-- The item database is quite impressive. There is plenty of gear for each and every type of character. Although I was a bit depressed by the huge costs for some of the epic weapons/armor at the merchant shops, I found that if you're thorough in exploring each area you explore, you will often find items that surpass anything that you could buy. Likewise, by the latter part of the game, you can simply sell the elite-gear that you can't use and buy those few expensive items that complete your team. Just remember to keep a rogue with you so that you can open locked chests. If you simply bash them open, you risk destroying the powerful items inside.

-- Some of the cut-scenes, particularly mid-game are fantastic. In Act II, there is a long, drawn-out trial sequence (it gets longer if you do the subquests associated with it), that I really enjoyed. Make sure your character has some skills with either diplomacy / bluff / taunt / intimidate, so that you can really take advantage of situations like this. The dialogues were often very diverse and well scripted.

To the Bad:

-- I found the game play in the larger battles to be quite chaotic. There is a computer AI that you can configure to run your other party members, but you're far better off micromanaging them (particularly your casters). Additionally, there will be times when you want/need to focus on particular enemies and avoid others. I often found myself having to click on renegade team-members who would randomly stop what they were doing and go attack/do something that I did not want them to do. Much to my chagrin, after changing their course, they would often automatically go back to doing what I didn't want them to do. You can limit this to a degree by modifying their behavior settings, but I still found it frustrating.

-- The ending was an epic disappointment. I realize the need to set the stage for sequels, but the ending for this game was atrocious. The narrator sounded like he could care less what he was reading and I didn't like what the programmers did to my party at the end.

-- I bought this game years after the original release date, so there was plenty of patching to be done before starting the campaign. Yet, there were still plenty of bugs. The last few areas, in particular, caused havoc for my party member's movement, as they would often times just pace back and forth in the same spot unless I personally re-directed them. Likewise, I found times when I wanted my mages to cast stoneskin, or a similar buff, on multiple party members, but discovered that they would only try casting it on my main character. I found these problems went away if I reloaded the game, but when you're in the middle of a battle, sometimes firing an appropriate buff spell can make the difference between life and death for a particular character.

-- I couldn't find any way to get any characters besides my own to receive a prestige/multi class. I recognize that some classes (particularly Monks) don't generally multi-class until very, very high levels, but I would have enjoyed diversifying the abilities of my party members.

-- I found the game to be magic heavy. Under the "normal" rules, area spells won't harm your team-mates, and the higher-level spells will often end a battle in about 10 seconds. Some of the major battles can be quite tough if you don't have any mages / sorcerers. However, if you have two in your party and you keep them out of the melee, they will flatten everything in your path. I'm a particular fan of hack-and-slash fighting, so I prefer getting things done up close and personal. The enormous capabilities of the mages just do not fit with my style, and perhaps I just wasn't using my fighters correctly.

So all in all, I give this game three stars. I detracted 1 star for the abysmal ending, and one more for the bugs and difficulties concerning the party AI. You can resolve this by pausing round by round to micromanage your team-members, or trying to set up a spell queue, but I found this to be distracting. If you're a fan of the NWN series, I still recommend you buy this game just so you can enjoy the many things it has to offer. However, Obsidian could have made this a fantastic game if only they had a bit more time to develop it. I don't know if this is their fault, or Atari's, but that's my two-cents.
on October 26, 2014
Let me say this; I've been playing computer games since the very beginning when the only game out there was something called "pong". I've built and programmed computers and my very 1st personal PC was the Apple IIc. I grew up on the SSI Gold Box series of games which were based on the original pen and paper Dungeons & Dragons tabletop games. Neverwinter Nights 2 is true to its roots and the Wizards of the Coast. Its a game that old timers like us want to play, unfortunately the game was released in 2006 and its meant to be played on a Windows XP OS. I use Windows 7 which is a recent clean install on my machine from Vista. The OS is 64 bit. There are serious problems with this game and even though there have been over 15 major patches to the game, the one you get in this box is the original release dated 2006 and Version number 1.00(768). The game should be installed in Windows XP compatibility mode. What does this mean? When the auto play on the DVD starts do not run it, instead choose "view files on the disc. Look for the "set up" application file. Right click on the file name and choose properties, then check the box to run in compatibility mode which will high light the only option of Windows XP. Apply, ok and close the box. Now right click the setup application and run in administrator mode to install. At the 99% done point on the install a window will pop up showing there was an install error to a DX file, then another error box after that. Click ok to proceed. The game will install, I don't know what these errors are. Don't even try to choose the auto update option on the install as the old servers don't even exist anymore plus the built in update program is bugged and doesn't work anyway.

Ok so fine its installed and you can proceed to play. You should also play the game in Windows XP Compatibility mode. To do this look in he game directory for the '.exe' file extension application that runs the game. Right click the file name and choose 'properties' in the menu window that appears and check off 'run in compatibility mode". It is fun to play if not a bit clunky by today's standards. The FPS will drop to about 3 every now and then and it will lock up in that you can't move your characters at all. Repeated reloads of saved games sometimes frees this up. So be prepared to play through scenes and battles over and over and over until you can luck out and actually move ahead. After putting up with this nonsense for about 10 hours I went online to look for any patches. I found them here http://neverwintervault.org/patches?field_game_tid=6&field_platform_tid=138&field_language_tid=141&field_requirements_tid=101

There is also a patch program that works at the bottom of this page. I suppose these patches work for someone or the page wouldn't be active. However they didn't work for me. After mapping through the mish mosh of listings, you will note that they are not in any particular order and don't seem to make any sense at all, I worked out 15 patch versions that would bring my game from the base version 1.00(768) to 1.22 (1588 ). Note the patch versions don't use punctuation so version 1.00(768) is listed as 100768 and so on.

The patches have to be downloaded to a file folder on your PC, choose a spot that will be able to find easily, like a new folder on your desktop. The files are zipped and you will need an unzip program such as "winrawr". Unzip your patches to another folder on your desk top then move or copy them to your Neverwinter Directory. The default directory is C:\Program Files (x86)\atari\neverwinter. Then download the patch program, read the instructions and start the patch process.

Now the problems start. The very 1st patch gets about 1/4 of the way in and stops with the message that a file is missing. The only option is to check off the box on the patch program to ignore missing files. Upon doing that the patch completes with a warning noise indicating patch errors and to check the patch log. Upon checking the log no errors are listed. Bear in mind that this patch program is 3rd party and not a commercial product. Rather than sit through all 15 patches I did the 1st one and tried to start the game. Double click the desk top icon and the game starts with a panel on screen with options such has play, exit and so on. Clicking play causes some very brief activity on the HDD and then the game stops. Uninstalling and patching multiple times ended in the game failing to start.

So the bottom line is: The game is playable, barely and even though there are patches available they don't work. My rhetorical question to anyone out there that has played this game and got the patches to work is: "How did you get past the 'missing file' error message?" I find it very unsettling that the original game disc has missing files and the patches that are meant to fix the game cant be used because of these missing files.

So, unless you are computer and OS and system savvy, don't even try to play this game. Save your money and get something that is current or even newer such as Divinity: Original Sin, Wasteland 2, Starpoint Gemini2 or even Shadowrun returns.
on January 12, 2010
Let's get one thing out of the way. I never played the first one though I am planning now on going back and revisiting it along with other "classic" RPGs such as Baldur's Gate. But as soon as I finished The Sith Lords heard that Obsidian was working on another game I wanted to buy it. The problem is, I didn't have a PC that could run it (officially... I still don't - I've been using my brother's). So I didn't get around to playing it until about a year ago and then college came along and drove a big stake through my available playtime.

I wasn't sure what to expect from the game and overall, I'm pleased with the results. However, as earlier, professional reviews have pointed out the game is not without flaws - big, gaping flaws that you could drive a small car through. All the same, I think the game is still one of the best playing experiences I've had in a long time. But maybe that's just because I'm weird and was able to withstand the technical difficulties associated with this game.

NWN2 takes place on the world of Toril, in the region known as the Sword Coast along the western edge of Faerun. This has also been the setting of several other video games - notably the Baldur's Gate series and the previous Neverwinter Nights game. As such, NWN2, by virtue of its very setting, is a bit of a familiar story. However, it manages to differentiate itself at some spots.

As is typical in most RPGs (including to an extent KotOR and Mass Effect) the game starts off with a bang - that is to say, the sound of your village burning into an utter ruin. Unlike in a few other RPGs your village isn't completely destroyed, though that does little to dispel the cliche surrounding the beginning which sees you sent off by your foster father with a silver shard that may have caused the village's destruction. Along the way you pick up allies to aid you in your quest and you learn more about the shards (you learn quickly there's more than one) and what relationship they have with your character and their quest. All the while, a dark threat brews.

Sound generic? Well, it is to an extent and many of the old archetypes common to fantasy stories are there. As the story progresses however things become gradually more interesting, although there's a never a big "whoa" moment like in many BioWare games (though this might be a good thing, as twists can become a crutch) Probably the most interesting aspects of the game are the ways in which it manages to flesh out and make interesting again old archetypes, as in the characters. The main problem is not so much that NWN2 feels generic, but rather that it takes some patience on the player's part for the story to really get going (around mid-Act II) and the story is plagued early on in the game by a very slow and torturous series of quests that are unavoidable.

Like the story Neverwinter Nights 2's characters are in many ways something we've all seen before. Almost all the characters introduced in Act I are archetypes common to fantasy fiction since the days of Tolkien: the battle-crazed dwarf, the mischievous tiefling, the serene elf, the austere paladin, and so many other characters typical to an RPG - particularly one using the D&D license. However, again, like the story, if one is patient enough the characters turn out to more interesting than they may first appear and find ways to differentiate themselves.

Take Khelgar Ironfist, who, in spite of initial appearances, turns out not just to be another dwarven fighter. Neither truly honorable or reasonable when you first meet him, Ironfist develops over the course of the game into an interesting protagonist. Instead of the typical proud warrior guy who must redeem his race, Ironfist, in fact, must learn that it is he that has been in the wrong. Oh, and he wants to be a monk. How's that for a nice character twist?

This is just one example and it's the case for more or less all of the Act I characters with the possible exception of Elanee who, unfortunately, I really couldn't get very interested in (she's nice I know, but other than that...). However, other characters in Act II are more interesting from the start and begin to no longer fit narrow stereotypes at all. The last two characters of the game to join your party are probably some of the most interesting, though both are something of a surprise, one in particular posing a semi-interesting look into moral philosophy.

Unfortunately, many of the villains are blanketly evil (including one character whose name starts with the word "black"). The main exception is the chief adversary, the King of Shadows, who is actually quite interesting, though you never see him until the very end of the game. He's the mysterious threat, NWN2's Sauron or Voldemort but unlike either of those two characters he's deeply sympathetic (at least to me - but then again I think alot of villains are sympathetic), with an interesting and unusual origin story.

Perhaps the best thing about NWN2's characters is the improved influence system (which I understand is even further improved in MOTB, which I recently began playing). Though this is almost a gameplay issue I think it's very relevant to the discussion of characters and it is markably better than the version in TSL, which I enjoyed but went nowhere story-wise. I liked in TSL how you needed to do things the characters liked in order to get more out of them but because of time restraints on the game the influence gained or loss never had a significant outcome. This is not the case in NWN2 which changes the character's development arcs and even the ending of the game (slightly - it's not like a different overall outcome) based on the influence you have with your party members. That's just an example of one of the small touches that makes NWN2 worth playing.

Unfortunately, NWN2's presentation is less than totally up to the task. RPGs have never been known for strong performance but NWN2 is one of the buggiest games ever released, right up there with Obsidian's first game: TSL. My guess is that this is partially due to the fact Obsidian was a young company with a shortage of experienced developers and that NWN2 put an undue amount of pressure on an antique engine (the same engine that was used for the first NWN!) that caused the game to become such a buggy mess. I encountered the blue screen of death several times playing the game, probably about six or seven times the whole way through. Granted, the game is about 50-60 hours through but in most games I encounter the blue screen once or twice at the most.

Not to mention that the game, in spite of having graphics that are slightly worse than Oblivion, required a high-spec computer and even then would often run into framerate issues, most often in crowded areas or high-intensity battles. While I was interested enough in the story and characters to put this to the side and numerous patches have helped to clear up the game this was trying even to me - and most of everybody I know considers me unusually patient with this kind of thing. From Obsidian's website it seems they're looking for gameplay programmers. It's a good thing too - they need to solve these issues if they're to reach the same kind of clout as BioWare or Bethesda.

And the game had your typical "BioWare loading screens" - x2.

In other areas of performance the game was more acceptable. The music ranged from bland to exciting, with the former usually being imported music files from NWN1 and its composer Jeremy Soule whose work I have gradually begun to grow tired of (though his work in Oblivion was more inspiring than I'd expected). The more exciting music was actually from two composers I'd hitherto never even heard of (David Fraser and Neil Goldberg) but who I thought were actually able to give an interesting and dark flair to NWN2. Voice work was also generally good, though not spectacular with the highlights being NPCs and central characters to the story while minor characters suffered.

The graphics, as in many RPGs (though not Mass Effect) are pretty dated, though not unreasonably so and they still stand shoulder to shoulder with several games though not the newest releases. However, the graphics, in spite of their relatively mid-tier quality, are a huge strain on the game's performance due to the primitive engine powering them.

In the end, NWN2 is a game you'll probably either love or loathe, with a few falling in-between. Myself, I loved it. So take my opinion for what you will.
on July 13, 2011
A very intricate game with nice graphics and endless options.
You character can be anything from a righteous, high-class warrior to an evil vagabond rogue of the slums.
The dialogue you choose affects your relationships with your comrades and the weapon system is entirely able to be customized.
I enjoy the story and the endless options which make it possible to play the game repeatedly and find new things.

There is a multiplayer option, but I haven't tried it yet.
on October 5, 2011
The Neverwinter Nights world continues to grow. Neverwinter Nights 2 introduced a better custimization engine, better graphics and gameplay, and a whole new story to follow. With countless customization options you could play the standard game over and over and never get bored or you can play multiplayer or create your own scenerios for you or your friends to play.

Whether you're a fan of D&D or not, if you're a computer gamer, you'll love this game.
on October 13, 2014
Screw camera angles that people complain about..if you do not try this you will miss out..I will always love NWN 2 and earlier. Neg reviews are like getting a new car and the seats don't adjust as you like until you get used to it :P I just bought a Benq 27 inch pro gaming monitor and going back and playing old things..awesome. Awesome Game Period :)
on December 1, 2014
I had this game previously on my computer but it some how managed to disappear as a NWN fan I had to buy this so I couldn't lose it all over again it wasn't supposed to be here till December 15-29th but it arrived WAY ahead of time on the first of December absolutely fast shipping and quality!
on March 6, 2014
Package was at a very fair price, came quickly and in the condition it was exactly describe in, only a few bugs with the game but I'm sure that had more to do with the game being buggy than the condition it was in.
on October 19, 2010
I played Neverwinter Nights 1 and I really enjoyed it, so when I bought Neverwinter nights I expected a lot. NWN2 is almost identical in graphics, color schemes, sound effects, game play and world textures to NWN1. They have changed a few things, yes, e.g. now you can have up to 3 companions, and you can take direct control over them. Also, you only die if your whole party dies. (If your health goes to 0, but you have a party members active you fall on the ground and become "unconscious". You revive at the end of the battle.) There are also many new items (and many traditional items and equipment, of course). The new stuff in the game is good, but I feel like it is not enough; to me the game feels like a mod to NWN1, not a standalone game. It is still fun to play though, and if you enjoyed NWN1, you are likely to enjoy NWN2, as well.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.