Amazon Vehicles Beauty STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Limited time offer Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Book House Cleaning twinpeaksv2 twinpeaksv2 twinpeaksv2  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis GNO National Bike Month on Amazon toystl17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 1,120 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 1,250 reviews
on March 26, 2010
I have hesitated to write a review because I am one of the success stories in this book. However, in light of T. Colin Campbell's unprofessional attack on this book, I believe I must speak up to share my story and the good health that has resulted in my following the Atkins plan. I am nearly 65 years old and have struggled with weight all my life. I've been on many diets including a vegetarian one with little results in either weight loss or improved health. In fact, my health markers were getting worse, and I suffered from arthritis, dry skin and elevated tryglyceride levels. My blood pressure was borderline. Since following the plan outlined in this book, I have lost weight, my arthritis has improved substantially (particularly in my neck and shoulders) and my dry skin (which 2 dermatologists had diagnosed as rosacea) has disappeared. My tryglyceride level dropped remarkably, but more importantly my HDL (the good cholesterol) has gone up and my latest BP was 117/76. I used to wear a size 18 -- now I wear a 6 or 8. All of these results came from following the plan outlined in this book.

What disturbs me further about T. Colin Campbell is that he has clearly put out a call to his vegan followers to come to the Amazon site and give bad reviews of this book, as he posted this nonsense on his webpage. I don't have a problem with their chosen lifestyle, but I do have a problem with the many deragatory posts that make it clear that they could not have read this book as they have no comprehension of its contents. Shame on them. Using the Amazon review system to grind their vegan axes should not be allowed.

Contrary to their ravings, the Atkins diet recommends lots of vegetables, a conservative amount of dietary protein and good fats. All recommendations that are supported by recent science. Read Gary Taubes "Good Calories, Bad Calories" or the distinquished works of Dr. Mary Enig. T. Colin Campbell has used this review process to further his own agenda and has encouraged his minions to post here. They disparage the book as well as mouth urban legend lies about Dr. Robert Atkins (a cardiologist, BTW). Anyway, read the book and make your own conclusions. Don't be led astray by these agenda-led and untrue attacks. This 65 year old feels 20-30 years younger!!
173173 comments| 4,112 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 4, 2016
So fascinated by this book and the Atkins diet. However, I'm still reading this book. It has all the information you need to know about the Atkins diet, or just a low carb/high fat diet. It lists everything from the foods you can and cannot eat, all the way to actual Atkins success stories. I borrowed this book from my grandmother and liked it so much I bought one for my sister who has PCOS, which is a nasty metabolic disorder in women that affects hormones, fertility and insulin levels. Based off the many success stories with this diet and PCOS, I'm highly anticipating her results. I myself have lost 20 lbs in the last 2 months with this diet. I would highly recommend this book to anyone wanting to lose any amount of weight! The pounds are literally just melting off. Cliche, I know. The weight loss is so fast that in a matter of DAYS my stomach had shrunk (can attribute to gastric bloating or water weight loss) and my pant legs were looser on me. I can actually fit in a pair of skinny jeans I outgrew 2 years ago (Thank you baby weight. Sigh.). I used to roll my eyes when people would rant about losing weight because I thought that all diets were BS. I had heard of the Atkins diet years ago but upon mentioning it to my mother she quickly insulted the diet like many others before, and I never gave it a second thought. Then I met my husband and he introduced me to Atkins. He himself had results with a low carb diet and lost about 45 lbs. In the place of business I work at, I have a customer that frequently needs our services. After months and months of conversation he shares with me that he lost 96 lbs on the Atkins diet!! Truly amazing. If you don't buy the book, at least do your research.
on April 25, 2011
OK, here's the deal for me. In September I realized I needed to lose around 50 pounds. I went for the low-fat, whole grain, portion control approach; and stuck to it pretty well. In more than seven months I lost 17 pounds and was miserable and frustrated the entire time. In less than two weeks on Atkins, I have lost 8 pounds, and have never felt deprived!

I am in a situation where I end up eating out a lot. With my other diet, this just made me feel more frustrated. But on this plan, I feel like I can stick with it anywhere. If I'm in a high end place, it's all about the meat/fish and veggies anyway. And if it's a burger joint, I just skip the bun and the fries! The sodium doesn't seem to be an issue, surprisingly.

For breakfast I have been making 2 egg omlettes with frozen veggies and cheese. Lunch is usually tuna or chicken salad on a bunch of greens/veggies. Dinner is some kind of grilled or broiled meet with asparagus etc. (I throw on some rice pilaf etc. for the rest of the family). I went to Whole Foods today and saw the "prepared foods" section with a whole new eye! I didn't even want to stare at the pizza!

One of the things that appealed to me most was that exercise is not a core part of this plan. I have a permanent disabling injury that prevents me from just about anything (beyond WII!). It was refreshing to not feel stigmatized for that.

And I'm even cheating! Shoot me but I really enjoy a glass of wine when I'm done with my day, (or at least my driving). Generally an hour or so before I eat. I've kept that for my sanity the safety of my family. (It's only 4 to 5 carbs!) So I still have around 20 pounds to go. Which no longer sounds so daunting.

Just losing 8 pounds feels great!

I respect other people's right to choose, and right to write more mainstream diet books. And I hope that they will respect that I feel like I finally caught a break here!
66 comments| 888 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 17, 2014
This book really helped me respect the Atkins diet a little more and not just treat it like another crash diet. I had done Atkins several times in the past and because I did not really understand the diet, I would spend my entire diet in Phase 1....thinking that it was the only way to keep the pounds coming off. This time, I wanted to be more proactive about enjoying the diet and keeping the weight off, so I ordered this book. The main thing that I learned is that moving from phase 1 to phase 2 does not have to slow down your weight loss. I spent 10 days in phase 1 (induction) - lost 3lbs and after that I moved on to phase 2 (adding back nuts, seeds, beans sweet potatoes) and my weight loss continued in the same way as if I was still in induction (1.5 - 2 lbs per week). Everyone has to find their balance and this book is helping me do that.
on May 22, 2016
I started the Atkins diet with what I could find online before the book arrived and very glad I purchased it. It offers in depth insight and hope for being successful loosing wt. that I didn't find elsewhere. I knew that a newer version had come out after this one but knowing of Dr. Westman's reputation as the worlds leading Atkins expert I wanted to start with his book. I have been following the plan for less then 10 weeks and have lost 25lbs. On WW it took 6 months, was much harder to comply, and I never felt satisfied !!! I am considering buying the newer version just for updates.
on March 20, 2017
If you have PCOS and have trouble losing weight then you need to try this diet!! I have literally tried every diet out there for the last 30 years and haven't come close to the amount of weight I have lost on this plan. To date I have lost 28lbs in 10 weeks! I'm never hungry and I feel great! With PCOS your body turns everything you eat into sugar. Cutting out the sugar and carbs is the way to go for loosing the weight! I've tried Atkin's in the past and lost a little weight but this updated plan is FANTASTIC! LOVE IT!!!!
on May 20, 2015
I love this easy to read book that is filled with wonderful information for someone just starting out on Atkins. I used this book with great success, and thanks to it, within one month I had lost over 21 lbs. I still turn to this book for guidance as I work to lose those pounds. I have recommended this book to everyone and they have had success as well. I cannot say enough about it!
on March 1, 2015
I read this book 2 years ago, and by following the steps closely, I had lost 50 LBS in 3 months. It was nuts! I felt great! The book was fun and easy to read, and really motivated me to sticking with it. What I liked about it was I didn't have to read through the whole thing all at once. I could read up to where I implement the diet, and stick to that chapter until I moved through the different phases.

It's a life style change! They stress that a lot in the book. If you go back to eating your old ways, you will gain your weight back very quickly!
on April 22, 2016
A great book to have in your keto library--Atkins steamrolled over the nay sayers. Low carb diets are really the salvation for so many afflicted with sugar addiction and pre type two diabetic misery. This diet has really transformed my life from the Standard American Diet with me gaining 5 pounds a year to losing 60 in a year with improved energy, sleep,ability to exercise and other hormone responses. Can't say enough about this amazing diet--has worked wonders for me among them getting off anti depression meds I had taken for 20 years. The healing I have experienced is phenomenal. Happy eating!
on August 5, 2015
This book updates Robert Atkins' original book with updated science. That I appreciate. While there is no doubt that this is an endorsement for this particular food plan, rather than objective scientific research, the science they present is pretty solid. As a researcher (in a different field) myself, I chased down some of their references, and every one I checked was fairly represented in the book. Speaking personally, I am in good physical condition and my BMI (body mass index) is within acceptable limits. Even so, I wanted to lose a little excess fat. Following this plan, I have dropped 15 pounds and 2" off my waist, and I have not felt hungry or deprived at all. I'm sold on learning more to make this a lifestyle. The only reason I did not rate this 5 stars is just that point - it is very good for those who are in the early to middle stages of weight loss, but less informative for those of us who are looking for ongoing maintenance. Still, it's a good book, in my opinion. Very readable and very informative.