Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: New Balance Men's MW978 Walking Shoe
Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Dolly Parton Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Shop Now STEM

on November 19, 2013
Normally I like New Balance products and bought these because I have a pair of 966 Walkers which I really like. These have Gore-Tex which I like as the foot dryness is a good extra.

But here is the rub and I do mean rub quite literally. The toe cap is too low. My toes rub and you can see that the cap sits lower. Unfortunately I did not discover until I had worn them outside and now can't return.

They felt OK in the house but after a couple of hours outside they rubbed a blister on the top of my left middle toe.
on April 15, 2011
I use this shoe for walking, hiking, even jogging. It rocks. I bought it because I was having foot pain in both my feet. After 3 days wearing these, pain was gone. I guess I'm getting old enough where I have to start talking care of my body and buying products that aren't so rough on me...
on November 7, 2013
The shoes look great and feel great. I have narrow feet so I look for shoes that fit my width. NB is one of the brands that manufacture those kind of shoes.

On this one I was a little concerned about all the comments related to proper sizing. I followed the advice most gave about buying them half a size larger and I'm glad I did so. They fit perfectly.

All in all they are great shoes, just remember to buy them half a size larger.

11/14/2013 Update

I've had them for a while and they are definitively 5 star shoes. Super comfortable, almost no break-in period and nice aesthetics. Would buy them again if I had to.

Just remember to buy them half a size larger!

Cheers
on March 7, 2013
When the boots arrived, I liked the look of their construction, however their width was a problem.

Although I have no Pacific Islander blood in me that I know of, I have what are often described as "Hawaiian feet". I like to call them Fred Flintstone feet. They are big and very wide in the front of the foot and toes. It makes finding shoes difficult.

I ordered size 15 EEEE, which is the same size I wear in New Balance running and walking shoes with the SL-2 last. According to the chart on the New Balance web site (and a conversation I had on the phone with New Balance to verify this information), this boot is build on the MOL-1 last and New Balance CLAIMS that the SL-2 and the MOL-1 lasts have the same fit, but that is completely un-true. The toe box is much narrower in this boot than in all of my SL-2 last New Balance shoes. So if are looking for a New Balance boot with a wide toe box like their athletic shoes that are build on the SL-2 last, and you actually NEED all of that toe room as I do, then this is not the boot for you.

I returned the boots to Amazon, who was stellar about the return, and I ordered a pair of Drew Rockford boots instead. I'm still waiting for those to arrive, but from what I read, they should have much more room in the toe box, although they cost a lot more.

If you do not know what a shoe last is, imagine an old-fashioned shoe maker who uses a metal or wooden form or mold of a "foot" and they build the shoe to fit that mold. That mold is called a "last". Modern manufacturing still uses lasts, but they are usually made out of plastic. So there are shoe lasts that are the same SIZE, but some might be wider in the heel and narrower in the toe, or any combination like that, and these lasts are given designations by the shoe maker. This explains why two shoes from the same shoe maker that are the same size may fit differently, they were build on different lasts. Some quality shoe manufacturers today still publish the shoe last information for their shoes if you ask or take the time to look it up (which is how I know that this boot is on the New Balance MOL-1 last), so if you can find the size of shoe that fits you well in a certain brand and contact the manufacturer or dealer and find out what other shoes of that brand are the same last, then you can, at least in theory, find another shoe that fits EXACTLY the same without the slight fit variances that you often find from one shoe model to another within the same brand.

This is how I know that every New Balance 15 EEEE SL-2 last fits my feet perfectly. The only problem with these boots is that, while New Balance claims that the MOL-1 last is similar to the SL-2 last, it is different enough in the toe box area that it makes these boots pinch my toes, which is especially bad for a hiking boot. If only they made these boots on the SL-2 last instead, then I wouldn't have to order a pair of boots twice as expensive just to get ones that will (hopefully) fit.
on August 6, 2011
Great boot, very comfortable,looks great, made very well and sturdy. I wear it to work (I'm a contractor)and it holds up under everything I put it thru. I would recommend ordering the next size because it seems to run small, I'm a size 12 but it was too small, the 13 fits better.
on June 23, 2014
I ordered MW978 Walking Shoe in size 12 A. At first, they seemed OK but over time they proved to be too short and the toe pain was unacceptable.
For running shoes (i.e., NB 1123 / 1540), I wear Men's New Balance Size 11.5 A for the M1123 and 12 A for M1540, both built on a SL-2 Last.
I reordered in Size 13 because they are not made in size 12.5 A.
While slightly long, these are the best hiking shoes I have ever owned. No blisters, heel slip, or damaged toes.
I hope this review helps people with "Feet of Despair" (as compared to "Invincible Feet", those who have a hard time finding a good fit.
While NB shoes cost more, they are well worth the money. New Balance is the only manufacturer that makes shoes that fit my low volume foot. Shoes that provide a good fit and eliminate foot problems.
In the past and with other well known boot manufacturers, I have bought their hiking boots (Narrow or Medium widths) and suffered huge blisters. They make shoes/boots sizes for the masses (the exception is Red Wing Boots.) In the past, I tried adding inserts, moldable inserts, different lacing configurations, tongue pads, etc. to reduce volume and nothing worked well. I considered custom made boots but the price was always too high.
Finally I discovered New Balance's SL-2 Last and it works very well.
on November 19, 2013
The price was right and the shoe felt "OK" when I first put them on, but I couldn't wear them because of the sizing. I have a prosthetic left foot and it is a true men's 12 medium; getting the shoe on was a struggle (but the carbon fiber toes didn't complain). My right foot is more like a 10.5 or 11 but with a very high instep; so I wear a 12 medium to give me the width I need. My big toe was constantly and uncomfortably shoved against the front of the shoe, these were just plain too short. Worse than that, my toes were squeezed together and rubbed sores on one another.

I have other New Balance 12 medium walking shoes (highly recommended by my prosthetist) and those have no issues. I really wanted to like these but New Balance just plain didn't get this one right.
on June 6, 2012
Have worked on my feet for 43+ years now. Began to get plantars fiiscitis in both feet about a year ago. Looked on-line at shoes that would take care of this problem and found NB978 were recommended by multiple reviewers. Took the advice to order 1/2 size larger and they fit great! Been wearing daily since mid-January and cannot believe how they "cured" my plantars fiiscitis issues by the 2nd day. Have been worn in snow and rain and seem to be pretty waterproof. A great purchase for this satisfied NB978 buyer!
on March 18, 2013
I was very happy with the NewBalance MW977GT which were made in China.I wore out 3 pairs over the years.NewBalance replaced the shoe with MW978 which is made in VietNam and the shoe is smaller.Beware when you order the size...
on November 13, 2010
I was somewhat disappointed with this New Balance shoe. First, the shoe runs shorter than a New Balance tennis shoe. The shoe is comfortable, but the first day I wore it the insole came loose. Now everytime I take the shoe off I have to straighten out the insole...a pain. Don't know how they will hold up as I have had them a short time, but they didn't start off well. Wish I had gone with the Merrell instead.