Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Best Books of the Month Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Alexa on Mobile PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Spider-Man: Homecoming available to buy Spider-Man: Homecoming available to buy Spider-Man: Homecoming available to buy  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Tailgating FFII_gno

Showing 1-10 of 25 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 30 reviews
on March 7, 2012
Bruce Irving transported me from my day-to-day Midwestern existence to the ski resorts, textile mills, salt boxes, ice houses and landscapes I've idealized since my first childhood viewing of "White Christmas" (and subsequent studies of revolutionary America, Thoreau's Walden, etc., etc., etc.) The topics are presented in a refreshingly accessible way; each consuming no more than a handful of pages and wonderfully augmented by Greg Premru's beautiful photography. Most importantly, the author approaches the subjects with a knowing sense of humor and playfulness that brings the stories and descriptions to life. The included map of sites-of-interest is worth the price of admission alone. I can almost hear Bing and Danny on their way to Vermont now... "Snow, Snow, Snow, Snow, Snow..." If you want to indulge in the wonder, look, sounds and feel of New England without the airfare or miles-per-gallon, this book will take you there.
on August 20, 2011
I bought this book to support a friend, and ended up devouring it in one afternoon. It is wittily written and full of succinct tidbits about New England life and landscape, from before the early settlers arrived, to today. As a New England transplant -- who took a long time to fall in love with the area, I was enthralled by it! Now I will live my days in New England with freshly opened eyes, and a whole barrel of knowledge about why things are the way they are. A must for New Englanders, and visitors alike!!
on August 22, 2011
This book is a MUST for anyone who has lived in New England. As for me, having moved down south 15 years ago, this is a reminder of what is still special in my heart. Growing up in New England, the church on the green, the classic salt box house, the white picket fences, all those memories have stayed with me and often I find myself looking for that in my surroundings. New England is like no other place and Bruce Irving has captured this in both his wonderful descriptions and amazing photography. Hats off to a job well done. I will cherish this book for years to come.
on December 31, 2013
First, to be clear, despite the square format shown, this is unfortunately not a cocktail table or picture book. There are a few photos (one for each chapter), but it is one man's (a native New Englander) travel-memoir of the region.

That said, it is a charming read.
on February 5, 2014
I lived much of my life in New England. Now, because life is a twisting river, I live in Phoenix. I like Phoenix, but actually felt a powerful, physical wave of nostalgic longing as I read Bruce Irving's evocative book. The unique, often humble icons of New England architecture are all there, his connection with them is real and heartfelt, and by the end of this short book, you'll feel that connection, too. I may need to move back.
on November 15, 2011
"New England Icons" is much, much more than a "coffee table" book. Informative, readable, and illustrated with striking photos, this small volume comes chock-a-block full of regional history, geography, lore, and personal reminiscences, all informed by the author's intimate knowledge of the building methods, structures and natural environment of New England.

Better than any travel book, "Icons" points the way to discovering and rediscovering what is quintessentially New England. Reading it made me nostalgic for a simpler time, but also eager to plan our next trip to New Hampshire and Vermont.
on August 19, 2011
Brisk, informative, chock full of lore, "New England Icons" is that rare 'coffee-table' book that is as well-written as it is fun to look at. Irving's text and Premru's photographs make for an entertaining tour of all the familiar, and some less familiar, features of the New England architectural landscape. Highly recommend.
on March 25, 2015
I love all of it. Stone walls section was great. My Grandfather built by himself a stonewall around his home in Orange Connecticut back in the 40's. I loved my Grandfather very much.
The section on steepled churches was interesting too.
on August 27, 2015
Well, the dust jacket got me. I had hoped the book was full of wonderful photographs and history, sadly this is a little book with few pages and even fewer photos. A cute little book, yes, but not worthy of those people who are looking for background history on shakers, salt boxes and cape cod style homes.
on October 20, 2013
If you love New England, its history and its buildings then you need to have this book in your collection. It is full of the most beautiful photos and contains historical information that is accurate and interesting. You will learn alot. This is a great coffeetable book. If you cant go to New England this is the next best thing to seeing what the place is really like.