Salon Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far Introducing Prime Wardrobe nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc The Carters Fire TV Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now Start your Baby Registry

on July 19, 2012
I read the GL Load diet book before I read this and found that one easier to understand and use. That book was recommended to me by my nutritionist. I bought thinking it was more of the GL diet - it is, but on a very limited basis.
I have read a number of diet books and found this has way too much information. Example, page 19 has a chart on "Factors That Influence the GI Value of a Food. These factors include the "viscosity of fiber", and "high amylose to amylopectin ratio". Honestly, do nutritionists even look at that informaation for most of their patients? The book is 2/3rds full of this sort of information. Honestly I thought I was reading a college level nutrition book. By the time I got to the essential information, I was bored. I flipped many of the pages because of this problem and probably missed some good information. On the other hand, I have already read most of the information elsewhere in simplier form.
The book does have a nice list of of foods with their GI levels and GL levels, recipes and a few practical tips.
I gave it a 2 instead of a 1 because
1) there is a list of foods with excellent GL and GI information. This list goes somewhat beyond the information offered in either the GL Load diet book or the Glycemic Load Couner (Blades). Therefore it is a decent reference.
2) they do caution against relying on the GL exclusively (but then the GI should not be used exclusively).
3) they have some nice recipes.
4) for beginners in dieting there are some good assessment tests of the fat you eat (pg. 83) and a good discussion on protein in the diet (pg. 50-51). There are some other good dieting tips but these jewels are mixed in with too much science, charts and explanations.
There are far better, simplier books out there.
2 people found this helpful
|33 comments|Report abuse
on April 11, 2006
This book shed a lot of light on why I was not succeding in my weight loss goals. I had already given up almost all sugar and all artifical sweetners, eating mostly whole grains, and had been doing a 45-60 min cardio workout 3 times a week and getting no where in the 50 lbs I need to lose. In the past I had a lot of success following Atkins, but felt that it was unhealthy and it left me feeling sluggish and miserable. I stopped Atkins and started the daily losing battle with my weight. After three weeks of following the basic principals I have had successful weight changes for the first time in a long time.

This book is not for someone who wants a quick fix or answer, the book gives a ton of data points and strives to tell you how to use the data to make your own balance. Other people have commented that there are many contradictions, and I think the problem is that they are looking for a yes/no list or formula not a guideline and plan for moderation and balance. You also have to really understand the differneces between Glycemic Index and Glyecmic Load, which I feel she explains quite well. I doubt this diet idea will ever be popular becuase there are no quick fix answers. I have been following the plan for almost a month and feel great and can see myself doing this for the rest of my life with no hesitation. The fact that it is a guidline rather than formula gives you the ability to adjust to your stage of life, activity level and weight loss goals.

There is no denying that reading this is a bit like going back to school where you need to read it, process it, and figure out how it relates to your own eating habits and weight goals.

There are two down sides to this book. The first is that the first two weeks of eating that many vegetables and heavy grainy food can make you, to be blunt, gasy. The other is that she keeps suggesting margerine but I find it to be a horible low-fat alternative to butter and am ok with having more fat than chemicals. Again it is a guideline and I have the fleibilty to make as many natural and organic choices as I like and still follow the ideas.
112 people found this helpful
on May 4, 2009
I obtained this book on orders by my physician. After years of yo-yo dieting, this is the best method for losing weight and keeping it off. Controlling blood sugar is the key to staying healthy. Your body hates sugar and shows you so by making you fat. All carbs turn to sugar. The key is to eat those foods which break down slowly, keeping your natural insulin levels low. This method of eating low glycemic index foods melts fat away. I've lost 38 pounds in five months and never felt deprived. I love the new me and would recommend this book and what it has to say to every American who is overweight.
5 people found this helpful
|11 comment|Report abuse
on May 11, 2015
This book was recommended by a respected speaker I saw. It was interesting and provided a wealth of information. They lost me on the meal ideas, however. One breakfast included a bowl of whole grain cereal, a piece of whole grain toast with jam and juice. Wha?! So much processed food. I'm more a fan of whole foods.
on January 23, 2017
Great book that I always go back to when I get "off track" in terms of my diet. Easy to read and has a plethora of recipes as well.
on August 23, 2007
Recently I was diagnosed with prediabetes and attended a diabetes seminar on nutrition. As a longtime member of the health profession I thought I was fairly knowledgeable in the field of nutrition. Wrong again! The information in this book is easily readable and is guaranteed to change your eating habits if you have insulin resistance or any type of blood glucose problems. By following the practical information in this book I have brought my readings back to the normal range. Some of the information in this book was very surprising and unexpected. The authors give practical information that is usable. This is not a typical diet book or one that promotes new herbal or chemical miracles. My nutritionist said the glycemic index is the wave of the future. I belive it.
14 people found this helpful
on November 25, 2012
Considering it was used and cheap, it's okay. The listings of GI are very limited and honestly, things a person with a blood sugar concern really shouldn't be eating. As I don't have another book on the topic, I'll keep it as reference for now but I'm still looking for a more comprehensive book on the subject.
on April 27, 2018
Excellent work gathering important informations
on September 20, 2011
I purchased this book because I had read about the Glycemic Index in my diabetes magazines, and although I didn't understand the information well, I did think it might be useful. I was disappointed. My primary concern is that, as described in the book, the Glycemic Index Values are determined by far too small a sample, and with rather vague criteria. I also disliked the style of the book, which seemed to promise a cure for everything from obeisity to hangnails. In the end, I didn't finish the book, but am keeping it in hopes that the values in the back, although questionable, might be useful.
2 people found this helpful
on February 14, 2012
This book helped me take my diabetes seriously. It showed me what I was doing to my body by over eating, eating the wrong foods. It is simply to understand, and if you start making changes in the types of foods eaten, you should see results immediately like my husband and I did. By eating more lower glycemic foods, eating more vegetables, smaller portions, I started to feel great, got my sugar under control and started to lose weight. This book has put us on a life style change, not just another diet.
One person found this helpful