Spring Deals Automotive HPC Best Books of the Month New-season heels nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stream your favorites. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home and Garden Save $20 on a Deep Cleaning Appointment MMM MMM MMM  Echo Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now TG18SW_gno

VINE VOICEon December 3, 2012
Few bands can wear their inspiration so readily on their sleeve and never have their music become preachy or redundant, Flyleaf is one of the few bands that have successfully done it their entire career. In the span of three full-length albums and two fantastic EPs they've built an army of loyal fans and spread their message far and wide.

New Horizons does just exactly what the title would suggest, it sees Flyleaf set in a new direction. This album is something vastly different from their debut and even differs greatly from Memento Mori. This is a somewhat more melodic approach than what you might be used to but the end result is something truly beautiful that weaves a feeling of hope, beauty, and belief. I think this record is so hopeful due in large part to Lacey's departure.

Lacey knew she was leaving, that much is obvious, but you get the sense throughout the duration of this CD that she wanted to go out with a bang, emotionally and sonically. Songs like Fire Fire, Cage on the Ground, and Saving Grace are some of Lacey's best lyrical offerings to date and offer some of her most poignant insights ever. Her goodbye, Broken Wings (an updated version of an old demo), is tear jerkingly beautiful as well.

But, amidst all the beauty in this CD, Flyleaf didn't forget their roots and put some very heavy, riff-roaring, anthemic songs throughout. Call You Out, Green Heart, and Freedom remind you why you fell in love with them in the first place.

From beginning to end, I can't think of a better send off than what Lacey has given us. She basically took four recordings worth of passion and put it into one of the best Swan Songs rock has seen in a while.

When all is said and done, New Horizons ends up being a milestone in Flyleaf's catalog. There is so much passion, energy, and raw emotion in this CD that it becomes clear that Lacey is leaving at the top of her game. From beginning to end New Horizons doesn't let up one bit. I couldn't recommend this to someone more. We'll miss Lacey for sure, but she did give us an impressive send off.
on December 6, 2014
I purchased this album. I will say it is a Decent album with much thought put into the music and words. Lacies voice is simply beautiful, some of the lyrics are metaphors and that just shows there was a lot of depth and deep thought into this album. Not my favorite album, I prefer her style from her first album. Just disapointed to see lacy go, but it's in her best interest and I totally understand why she had to go.
on December 16, 2012
Instantly loved this cd. I believe it to be their best and also Lacey's finest performance! What a way to go out. When she is on top of her game. Some of her vocal arrangements are outstanding and very catchy. I would give this a perfect 10 out of 10 but the only flaw is the single "New Horizons." Honestly I can't even believe that song made it on the cd. It is def the weakest track on here. So for that poor choice of making it the "single" I give this a 9 out of 10. Great Great Effort and very worshipful! Love iT!
on November 5, 2012
I have all the Flyleaf CDs, and I gotta say that this one is by far my favorite. I hate to hear that Lacey is leaving the group. But what a way to leave. The raw emotion she belts out while singing songs like Cage On The Ground or Great Love. It's really hard not to get sucked into the music. I usually don't much listen to female vocalists, but I find myself fist pumping as I sing along to these songs. Much like I do Atreyu or Chevelle. Great CD. Sucks to hear she's leaving, but we wish them all the best and thank them for one heck of a signing off CD.
on December 2, 2012
I'll start with the pro's. This album in my opinion is the best yet, cleanly combining the hardness of their first album "Flyleaf" with their more melodic second album, "Memento Mori". The lyrics have immense feeling and meaning to them, which is the exact reason I grew to love Flyleaf in the first place. They haven't strayed in any major areas with "New Horizons", and hit all the right spots. Lacey's voice is as beautiful as ever, and her passion really brings every song to life. All of the songs have a certain flow to them, and no two sound even remotely the same, making this album truly unique.

As far as con's go, I honestly couldn't find any. The only thing I wish they had done was add some extra songs to the end (maybe as a future extended edition?) that have been recorded in recent years. I've heard a few songs recorded by Flyleaf that never made it to their own album, and I was slightly disappointed not to find them on here, especially since this is Lacey's last album.

Overall, I can safely say that you will enjoy this album, hardcore Flyleaf fan or not. Flyleaf's form of music is certainly unique, and they didn't disappoint here. Amazing job, guys. You've certainly outdone yourselves, and deserve every star you're given.
on December 27, 2012
Listened to previews and was not totally thrilled. But I am a forty-something year old fan that found this awesome band thru a friend years ago. I was disappointed to hear Lacey was leaving the band and I was like, should I get this even though I will never get to hear her sing it live? Well, I am very glad I did. After a couple of listens, this is Flyleaf, and I still love it. Lots of good tracks, with mix of more straight on Flyleaf with the more tempered tracks. For the coin for sure....
on November 24, 2012
My favorite songs on the CD are: Fire, Fire, Great Love and Bury your heart.
The sad thing is that the song "Mama," is only available through Itunes and not on the physical copy of the CD which is lame because I only bought the physical copy.
The phyiscal copy of the CD comes with an awesome fold out poster though which makes it definantly worth buying the physical copy just for that.
Also PAt's artwork for the album this time was awesome once again!
Lacey did a beautiful job on this album, it's a shame that it's her last one with them. Great Love is done really well by her and I so appreciate those lyrics!!!
God bless.
on August 10, 2017
A great album by a great band! Lacey sturms voice is so full of emotion that it's intoxicating to listen to from start to finish!
on February 6, 2016
"It's not making Christianity better; it's making rock and roll worse!" -Hank Hill, referring to every Christian rock band EXCEPT Flyleaf. This album is fantastic, religious or not.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on November 13, 2013
This is a great recording and must for flyleaf fans. Lacey will be missed as she is no longer a part of the band. This is the last appearance of Lacey with the band. Even many of the songs on the CD are sung by the new girl on their tour and in some live videos. I personal prefer lacey and will be looking forward to her getting back into singing when she is ready and I wish the band luck with their new sound.