Lyft Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon MozartintheJungle MozartintheJungle MozartintheJungle  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis Tailgating FFII_gno

Showing 1-10 of 71 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 143 reviews
on July 12, 2015
New Life, No Instructions: A Memoir. By Gail Caldwell

Just when we think we've got things figured out, even if it includes low expectations about mobility due to a diminishing functioning leg, life hands its surprises,.When an orthopedic surgeon diagnoses Caldwell's problem leg, not as she's always thought was post-polio syndrome, but as a hip badly in need of a new joint. Thus, the possibilities she never imagined, are hers, and we travel that journey with her.

"Remember the gulping-air surprise of being alive. Love, color, music, the beauty of the planet--all these things will serve you later, decades later, when you are walking down a street . . . (you) want to weep because it takes you back. . . .Your memory is the motherboard. Feed it the experience and it will always give it back." Good counsel from a wise woman and Pulitzer Prize winning author.
on May 21, 2014
Having two metal knees installed at the same time and having just lost my 18 month old Airedale puppy to kidney failure, I consumed this book with a hunger I hadn't recognized until it was satiated. The lessons are powerful and the story sings.
on May 16, 2014
I heard Gail Caldwell on the Diane Rheme show and immediately bought both this book and "Lets take the long way". The feelings of trust and friendship and truth and perseverence and love just filled me and my heart when reading these stories. The way Gail could count on her friends during her recouperation-for months- is amazing and brought me to action regarding other friends I have not seen lately and miss. So beautifully written and phrased. Her grinding, relentless dedication to her walking better scares me just thinking of how little I do and how much better I could care for myself.
on July 17, 2017
This is a beautifully written book about two subjects I am interested in: polio and Samoyed dogs. Gail writes beautifully about her life as a polio Survivor, with insights, metaphors, and offhand comments that take you unaware. Then you realize the wisdom and go back and re-read that section. I loved this book.
on May 27, 2017
I loved this book. Gail Caldwell is a very good writer, and I enjoyed learning about her journey to a new level of wellness. She intersperses the story with tales about her dog and her beloved friendship. Some people didn't like that but I thought it really added to the book. Great read, Gail.
on September 1, 2015
I enjoy Caldwell's memoirs and this recent one was a good follow up to Take The Long Way Home. Also a great book for those contemplating or having joint replacement (hip, knee, etc.) surgery! Caldwell's writing style engages the reader and makes one fell as if she is a friend.
on August 9, 2015
The topic is powerful for those who have experienced it, but the book did not express it as well as I had hoped. Maybe nothing can. I was hoping for some dead on insights to help me find my own, but I will keep looking.
on May 14, 2017
I loved relaxing with this book. I loved the authors voice and how the story unfolds. It was like getting to know a new friend. I'm sure I'll think about what this book thought me for many years.
on June 26, 2014
Gail Caldwell's written voice is sure and true, from wrenching grief to utter joy. This later memoir, written at 60 and struggling with a hip replacement and being a senior is pitch perfect. It's a lovely complement to and continuation of "Let's Take the Long Way Home," which is also a gorgeous book. I'm eager for more.
on May 22, 2017
Was going through a big health crisis and found some wisdom in this beautifully written book.