Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Beauty Little FIres Everywhere STEM nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited Get 10% cashback on thousands of musical instruments with your Amazon.com Store Credit Card Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 107 reviews(3 star, Verified Purchases). See all 3,614 reviews
on April 4, 2013
The bad:
I really hate the literary ploy of a man falling on the sword and making a major decision that dramatically affects the fate of a woman without feeling the need to consult her because he knows what's best. Just takes her choice in the matter away like she's a child or stupid? That's weak plotting, like run-down-the-nearest-dark-alley-before-tripping kind of writing. PUHLEEZE. They could have separated after having a conversation where he explains why, but noooooo. She can't even be aware he's done what he's done or why. Pretty much guarantees this particular girl will beat herself up without pause or end. There are better ways to write this. Nothing at all noble about how he did it.

Bella describes the Cullens...ad nauseum. They don't EVER just have lips, they have perfect lips. Musical voices, graceful movements, super sharp hearing and vision. EVERY time she sees one. Edward's chest is never just a chest; it's perfect or marble or stone. The Cullen faces are perfection or that of glorious angels or make you want to weep at their beauty or make you feel totally inadequate...EVERY time. EVERY time she touches one, she feels driven to tell us how cold and hard their skin is and yet, of course, silky smooth in its perfection. You get the point. Remind me now and again so I don't get lulled into thinking of them as human, but please, not absolutely every time.

Bella felt at all times and on all occasions so unworthy that it almost reaches the point of narcissism. If somebody 60 feet away from her slipped on an icy sidewalk and got bruised, "It was all my fault" was her go to reaction, as though she controlled the world around her. Good stuff was always somebody else's doing; bad stuff was all her doing. Her incessant ragging on herself could get tiresome.

For all her angst and worry about hurting others, she used Jacob abysmally, and she knew it while she was doing it. I could see why and sympathize but still, she put her needs before that of her friend Jacob's.
------------------------------------
The good, and this is what made the book worth my time:
The woman knows how to describe bereft. She knocked the wind out of me. Meyers absolutely nailed it.
on April 17, 2015
I recognize that these are YA novels and I'm not the target demographic so after making those allowances I found Twilight to be enjoyable. However, New Moon annoyed me and it was harder to make those allowances. First of all, Edward is absent for most of the book and while I like Jacob, he is even more emotionally immature than Bella. I also didn't like how Bella strung Jacob along since she needed a place holder for Edward. That seems a bit pathetic. Why not take this opportunity to send the message of a resilient young woman who learns something about herself in this emotional time from which she becomes a stronger and more independent person? Instead, Bella becomes catatonic, then delusional and dangerous to herself. The whole alpha male wolf thing was annoying to me as well. I was glad when the story began again toward the end. I will still read the third one, but I hope it is more like Twilight than New Moon.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon July 28, 2008
(3.5 stars actually.)

Where Twlight left off, New Moon picks up--of course.

In case you aren't already aware of Twilight, it's the story of a 17 year old girl named Bella Swan who moved up to Forks, Washington and found herself in love with a vampire named Edward Cullen. After some misadventures which nearly claimed Bella's life, she began thinking more seriously (and I use that term loosely) about becoming a vampire herself so Edward no longer needs to worry about her safety and they can stay together forever.

New Moon begins rather bleakly when Edward decides to break off the relationship. This sends Bella spiraling into depression for a few months, until she notices that Edward's voice comes back to her when adrenaline is pumping. This prompts her to start walking on the wild side. Part of this wild side included riding a motorcycle, of which she knew nothing. She enlisted the aid of Jacob Black to fix up the motorcycle and teach her how to ride. Over the course of fixing the motorcycles, Bella and Jacob, though almost two years her junior, form a deep bond.

Where Twilight focused on getting to know Edward Cullen, New Moon focused on getting to know Jacob Black. We, as the readers, got to see how their indiviual relationships with Bella differed. Jacob actually contrasts Edward in almost every way. Jacob is bigger, less graceful, and not as disarmingly handsome as Edward. In fact, Jacob is a werewolf--natural enemy of the vampire.

One would think the climax of the book would somehow entail a bout between Jacob and Edward for the love of Bella, but it doesn't--at least, not overtly. The climax occurs when Bella must fly to Italy to save the life of her beloved Edward, thus saying a tortured good-bye to Jacob. That's the moment she realizes she's torn between the werewolf and the vampire. She wants the friendship of the werewolf, but craves the love of the vampire. But she knows ne'er the twain shall meet.

Since I don't want to fill this review with too many spoilers, I'll just jump to my notes on the book itself.

Again, Meyer's prose still left much to be desired, but it did improve since Twilight. Unfortunately, the same cannot be said about the editing. However, she hasn't gotten over latching on to a particular word and using it ad nauseum. In Twilight, the word was incredulous; in New Moon, it's glower. At any given moment, someone or something is glowering at someone or something else--or grimacing or growling.

The characters, with the noted exception of Jacob, are still rather shallow. Jacob is warm, unconventionally charming, intelligent, and funny. In fact, he seemed quite real.

One thing I didn't appreciate about his character, however, was his willingness to let Bella use him. More than once, she's made it clear that Jacob would be her second choice since Edward would always and forever be her first, yet Jacob stands idly by and accepts it. (In other words, Edward is Bella's Romeo while Jacob is her Paris.)

Rather than overcoming the absence of Edward and growing as an individual, Bella becomes a reckless teenager. Rebellion is to be expected, but going from a girl who can barely walk without tripping to someone who flings herself off a cliff just to hear the voice of her long gone sweetheart? I guess unhealthy obsession can make you do crazy things.

Edward didn't have much time to show us how he'd changed in the many months spent away from Bella since he was absent for much of the novel, so I'm reserving comment. (He still seems rather arrogant and smug, though.)

One truly positive thing I can say about New Moon is that it's much more fast-paced and contains more physical action than Twilight. There is an electric energy that permeates the book which wasn't there with Twilight and I believe that it comes from the introduction of Jacob's character.

At the end of the day, this book was still an enjoyable read and Meyer is still an excellent storyteller. Despite the flaws of prose and illogical reasoning for many of the emotions, it was easy to become lost in the fantasy. As I said in my review of Twilight, it's very much like watching a reality TV show featuring a clumsy teenage girl and, rather than a thoroughly confused vampire this time around, a charming teenage werewolf.

And also, like with Twilight, don't read this with too serious an eye. This is a fluff piece to be read on rainy days when you just want to escape from it all.
on September 18, 2017
Books seem to be much better than movies- no violence. It would be nice if movie makers stopped thinking that they could make a better story than the books. I am enjoying the series of books, but some of it is just to juvenile in the way it is written like it was written for young teenagers to read, but with some adult issues.
on December 13, 2016
This is my least favorite book in the series. I appreciate the character development of Jacob and the progression of the relationship between Jacob and Bella. What I didn’t appreciate was the level of depression in to which Bella fell and the implication that she might kill herself rather than live without Edward. That being said, it did speak to the hopeless romantic in me.

The biggest problem with this book is that despite the good parts – the beginning, the wolfy parts, and especially the very end – the super depressed and mopey Bella, not to mention the awkward hallucinations, make for a rather boring book.

New Moon, while important for overall plot development for the saga, is a slow read. You’ve can’t miss it though.
on February 24, 2015
Picking up several months after the end of "Twilight", Bella Swan is just starting her senior year of high school. Watching "Romeo and Juliet" with her vampire boyfriend Edward Cullen, she reflects on the similarities between them and the literary couple--which quickly comes true. After Bella's life is again jeopardized by a vampire (this time one of the Cullens), Edward abruptly dumps Bella and the family moves away. As Bella's whole life has been bound up in this relationship, she is devastated, spending months as a virtual zombie. When she wakes up, it's with a vengeance, as she seeks out one dangerous situation after another in order to hallucinate Edward's presence back in her life. Bella's seeming death-wish nearly comes true both for her and for Edward, and sets up a future confrontation with some new friends Bella made during the Cullen's absence.

Didn't like this book as much as the others, but the movie's one of my favorites. It offers more proof of how controlling and even abusive Edward's relationship with Bella is--she's so isolated from everyone else that being torn away from the Cullens is an unbelievably devastating experience for her. She has nothing and no one to fall back on. Teenage dramatics taken to an extreme. Bella also doesn't come off well in how she treats young Jacob Black. Son of her dad's best friend, and someone who has a crush on her, Bella has no problems using him to push away her loneliness and despair, or to pump him for secret information she isn't supposed to have. And the way she abandons him for Edward (especially considering how Edward treated her) is appalling.
on December 6, 2012
After reading NEW MOON, I feel like I ate a mountain of empty calories without any real payoff at the end. Sure, it was an enjoyable read, written for a particular audience, and done very well in that regard; sure, it had a steady pace like a racehorse destined for some sort of glory; and sure, there was no point where I wanted to put the book down, toss it across the room, or throw it in a garbage can. But I feel like Stephenie Meyer could have offered us so much more.

The basic plotline is this: Edward leaves, Bella stays, and then Edward returns. As a teenager myself, once, I like to believe I offered the world slightly more depth than what this particular story entailed. Of course, maybe that is just wishful thinking on my part. But it doesn't mean I will stop this particular saga in midstream, nor will I postpone the third book.

Since TWILIGHT offered the reader a bit more than this one did, I suppose I had set slightly higher expectations for this one. Not grand expectations, mind you, but I did hope to be dazzled a bit more than I was, especially since there is talent at work here.

I am curious to see what happens to these two ill-fated lovers, but I hope the next two novels prove a bit more interesting than this one did. If you thoroughly enjoyed the first book, or even if you're just curious to see what everyone is talking about, or if you happen to connect with these particular relationships on some level, as I did, or you're using this series as a marketing study, you probably won't want to miss this one. Otherwise, you may feel a little disappointed at the end.

Robert Downs
Author of Falling Immortality: Casey Holden, Private Investigator
on August 2, 2015
I’m easily sucked into these books. They are light and quick to read; Bella’s narration is often humorous; and the situations the author presents are gripping. Bella’s stomach-churning anxiety comes across vividly and powerfully as she suspects something is wrong, tries to rationalize away the signs, then turns numb as the truth comes out. A trivial thing like a paper cut becomes a major issue when a house is full of vampires. The mystery surrounding Sam and his followers among the Quileutes hints of cult activity. And then the meeting with the Volturi…

That said, I read these books because I am interested in Edward and Bella, together, so when Edward vanishes for 300 pages, the story leaves something to be desired. Bella is hardly an admirable character. She’s devastated and needs time to heal, naturally, but she never pulls herself fully together and gets on with her life. She is and always will be “broken.” She clings to the last vestige of Edward available to her, hallucinations of his voice, by doing things that could easily kill her. On one level, undying love may be romantic, but taken to this extreme, it’s pathetic. She uses Jacob to feel better, allows him physical intimacies that encourage his feelings for her, and considers a relationship with him not because she truly wants him, but to make him happy. That doesn’t sound admirable to me.

What I saw most in this book was how it established the basis for the rest of the series. Victoria and the Volturi will threaten our lovebirds, Bella will press Edward to make her a vampire, and the werewolves and Jacob will be ready to pounce on the Cullens if he does.

While I enjoyed parts of this book, the large segment devoted to Bella’s interactions with Jacob slowed the story down too much for me to give a higher rating.
on March 31, 2014
This is the second book in the Twilight series. In the first book Edward Cullen is revealed to be a vampire. In this book there is a werewolf . The vampire was enough, adding in a boyfriend that is a werewolf makes this over the top for me.

Bella, who is mourning the loss of Edward and the rest of the Cullens who have moved to some unknown location takes up with Jacob. Much of the plot is about their growing friendship. However, I found that I just kept reading, waiting for Edward to show back up in the story. Could have used some pairing down, in my opinion. Eventually, Edward does show up again when Bella goes on a mission with Alice to save him from offing himself. This book was drawn out, slow moving and two types of supernatural characters, was a bit much,. Also, Bella appears weak and depressed after her break up with Edward -- a femme fital. Not the role model we need for young women.
on January 12, 2009
is good, but I dont like how it spent so much time on Jacob. I really hope the movie for "new Moon" changes that a little. also I didnt like how Bella always seemed like this "Damsel in distress", I love how the "twilight film" defiantely made her alot stronger than the twilight book did as well as how "new moon" portrayed her..

but all in all "New Moon" wasn't a bad read. I'm waiting to receive "eclipse" so I can read
"breaking dawn" which I already have in my possesion! So far though "twilight' is the best book in the series.