Oil month Automotive HPC World Book Day Introducing Prime Wardrobe nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Made for you. Learn more. GNO for Samsung S9 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon westworldS2 westworldS2 westworldS2  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now Start your Baby Registry

New Moon (Twilight)
Format: Paperback|Change

on March 5, 2014
New Moon picks up while Bella is well on her way to recovery from the events that ended Twilight, but after an accident that reminds everyone that, yes, Bella is human and, yes, Edward and his family are indeed vampires, Edward becomes more and more distracted by his concerns for her continued safety. When he decides that the only way to protect Bella is to remove himself from her life entirely, Bella suffers from a major breakdown.

The budding friendship between Bella and Jacob draws her out of a deep depression. Despite her lack of romantic interest in him, she leads him on, afraid of falling back into her slump. She tries to be honest and tell him that she's stuck on Edward, but can't help but tell him that she also wants him to keep trying. It's kind of a flaky, selfish thing to do, not exactly endearing. The whole thing left me feeling sorry for poor Jacob.

But despite all that, I felt myself mourning with her. It's easy to say that she shouldn't have fallen apart so much over a guy, but then again, she didn't just lose him, she lost a family and a new sister, Alice. To have so much, love, family, acceptance and perhaps even the promise of immortality, and then to lose all of it all at once, how could she not have fallen apart? Do I agree with how she deals with it? No. Do I empathize? Yes.

As for Jacob, we get to know him in this story, and he has to be one of the most interesting characters so far. With Edward out of the picture, it's difficult not to root for him. He's the ultimate good guy: kind, funny and supportive. He knows Bella is broken, but wants nothing more than to make her happy and perhaps find a place in her heart. And then there's the whole werewolf thing. Kind of hard to court a girl, especially one like Bella, when you keep turning into a wolf everytime you're angry or jealous. I think it's ironic that he, like Edward before him, believes the only safe option for Bella is to stay away. She just can't seem to catch a break.

Besides all the drama, there is a good deal of humor sprinkled through the story, and horror as well. The Volturi are creepy, the encounter with them terrifying. The whole scene kept me up way late. I probably shouldn't have tried to read that chapter right before bed, not good for your peace of mind.

Overall, I loved this book, love triangle and all. Jacob is really the star of this one, and I can totally get why some people would tend to take his side. Then again, it's hard to argue against Edward, flaws and all. He is obviously Bella's soul mate, whatever that's worth. No matter how good Jacob would be for Bella, her heart belongs to Edward, and honestly I don't think Bella's right for Jacob.

I'd recommend this book to those who like YA romance, particularly with love triangles, werewolves, and vampires. It compares pretty closely with the movie of the same name, which I must admit I watched first. I thought it was fantastic that the movie was able to so vividly bring the book to life, and so accurately, which I didn't realize until I finished reading New Moon.
Continuing with my journey to revisit the Twilight saga story again in graphic novel form, New Moon Part 1 gave me a lonely, fragile, yet funny version of Bella.

The illustrations were great, but lacked the climatic effect that the two Twilight volumes did. Most of the graphics were black and white with the exception of two or three short scenes. This volume lacked to capture the tone as effectively as I have come to expect. After Bella discovers Edward has left, I wanted to see her state of mind reflected more in the artwork, but this aspect of the story was glossed over. For something that impacted me so heavily in the novel and film versions, I was left feeling let down. The black and white drawn in grey shades, when I’d have liked it to be represented more visually desperate than a white-wash treatment.

With that said, I still liked the darkness – the more sinister aspects of the storyline: the wolves, Laurent, Victoria. While the movies only hinted at this, in the novel it was meant to make you feel uncomfortable, or in the least, shiver. The artwork here captures the impact more in the tone of the novel, and I enjoyed getting more tension for Bella than I had from the film franchise.

Though, my favourite pages from this volume would have to be the end pages, which I feel really captured the soul of the first half of New Moon – desolate, haunting and dark.

So while I appreciated the artwork, the story felt flat. Admittedly there was a lot of detail in there that I did not expect, but there was something about it that failed to punch in its weight class. Possibly because some of my expectations went unmet.

Really looking forward to Volume 2 later this year. And upon searching the internet, it doesn’t appear Young Kim is continuing with the series. Sad. I’d really like to see where her illustrations could have taken the saga.
on June 22, 2017
Broken hearts, werewolves & love triangles. This 2nd installment in the Twilight series was probably the hardest to read since the love that you were so happy came to be and seemed unbreakable was no more. Granted Edward thought he was doing the right thing but you still cried right along with Bella. Enter in Jacob and his admissions to Bella, both of his heart & a secret he didn't know he carried.

This read was just as addicting as the first, even though your favorites were in depression. Depending on which team you were on that is. I'm obviously Team Jacob. :)

We also get to meet a new cast of characters to love and hate (I'm looking at you Volturi) But through it all you still root for Edward and Bella to overcome and find their way back to each other.
on May 27, 2013
This was my third re-reading of the novel, which is the second one in Meyer's beloved series. I read it as avidly as I did the first two times! I know there will be future re-readings, as well.

I had not posted a review of the book before because so much has been said about it, in other reviews -- on Goodreads, Amazon, and countless blogs, although not everyone likes this book, (nor do they like the entire series). Still, I felt it was time for me to post my thoughts about this installment in the Saga, since I have embarked on a third reading of all four books.

This is a very bittersweet novel, due to the introduction of the love triangle of Bella, Edward, and Jacob. In the first novel, Twilight, the intense relationship of Bella and Edward was the main focus throughout. In this one, Jacob makes it clear to Bella that he has fallen in love with her, even as he realizes she only considers him her best friend.

The story opens with a deceptively happy event -- Bella's eighteenth birthday. Bella is hypersensitive about celebrating this event, because Edward is eternally seventeen, of course, and she has been pleading with him, since the first book, to make her a vampire so that she can be as young-looking as he is, forever. She's terrified of growing old and being mistaken for his grandmother in the future.

Not to be deterred by Bella's reluctance to acknowledge the big day, the irrepressible Alice plans a party for her. And this is where the novel's emotionally-wrenching, unexpected plot twist takes place....At the party, Bella cuts herself when opening her birthday card, and Jasper, suddenly crazy with bloodlust, attempts to attack her. Although the other Cullens do restrain him, Edward makes a fateful decision -- to leave Bella, for her own good. He doesn't want to place her in any more danger because of his vampire nature, and also wants her to have a chance at a normal human life.

After Edward tells Bella he no longer wants her, abandoning her in the forest near her house, she sinks into a three-month-long depression. When I read the novel the first time, I sank into a depression right along with her. After all, I remember what I went through during my divorce... Bella describes feeling a 'hole' in the middle of her chest, and I can definitely relate to that. The pain of losing such an important relationship is very deep and all-consuming, and Meyer's description of the desolation and emptiness is very much spot on.

When Bella makes an interesting discovery -- she's able to hear and see Edward every time she's in a dangerous situation -- she decides to deliberately place herself in such situations in order to elicit these hallucinations. Enter Jacob, who will help her restore a couple of old motorcycles, and teach her how to ride one of them. Thus begins Bella's new flirting with danger. She is elated to hear Edward berating her, pleading with her, to be careful, when she's in danger. Her new friendship with Jacob, who made some brief appearances in the first book, not only makes it easier for her to engage in these activities, but also helps her to deal with the loss of Edward. While she's with her friend, she feels grounded, safe. The tattered edges of her hole are almost -- although not quite -- closed.

Jacob, who later joins the Quileute pack of werewolves after he discovers he's able to shapeshift into one himself, is an entirely lovable character! I fell under his spell this time around as well. He's a marked contrast to Edward because, in spite of being a werewolf, he's still human. It's wonderful to see how gentle he is with Bella, as well as how he makes her laugh, bringing her out of herself. Many fans are "Team Jacob", and I myself was torn for a while.... Bella would have had a great life with him. They would have had several kids, laughed and played together... I can almost see it. Jacob is just as loyal as Edward, just as committed to not hurting Bella as Edward is. He is more down-to-earth, though. With him, Bella can be totally herself. She forgets all of her self-deprecation. Jacob represents life in all of its immediacy and reality, while Edward represents a nearly impossible ideal of existence, devoid of the natural cycles of human development.

Yes, I was tempted to want Jacob to be Bella's true love. Meyer makes a very compelling case for him, after all. But then, whenever Bella experienced one of her Edward hallucinations, I yearned to see them together again... This was also the author's way of gently reminding the reader that Edward was somehow still in the picture.

In this novel, Alice becomes very important to the plot, and she and Bella become more than friends -- they are now sisters, united in one purpose: to protect Edward from himself. Alice can see the future after all, and she knows his plans. She and Bella become powerful allies in their quest to help Edward.

Alice has been one of my favorite characters from the beginning, but I especially liked her in this novel. She's so much fun! She's also gentle, compassionate, totally unpredictable, and very loyal to Bella. Her failed attempts to turn Bella into a glamour queen are not only funny, but poignant. She really does care about Bella like a sister. How I wish I had a real-life friend like her!

The reader gets to meet the frighteningly evil vampire clan, the Volturi, toward the end of the book, which brings the narrative full circle back to Edward. Aro, their leader, is especially terrifying, with his syrupy- sweet exclamations that barely conceal his true motives. He has a very powerful talent -- that of seeing all of a person's thoughts -- past, present, and future -- while clasping that person's hand. Jane, the young vampire who truly looks like an angel, can immerse anyone -- except Bella -- in agonizing pain with her intense stare. Felix and Demetri are Aro's goons, doing his bidding unquestioningly, while Alec has undisclosed powers of his own. In the movie version, he has the power to emit a dark mist that effectively cuts off a person's entire sensory input.

I found the novel's pulse-pounding climax to be extremely satisfying. Klutzy Bella becomes a hero! This, I think, should lay aside all those ridiculous criticisms of Bella perpetually being a damsel in distress. She is now irrevocably a member of the Cullen clan, even though she's not a vampire -- yet.

Everything about this novel attracted me when I first read it, and I continued to feel that attraction during this third reading! I love the characters! The setting, which is full of lush forests and snow-capped mountains, is incredibly beautiful, in spite of all the rain (and actually, it didn't rain all the time). The plot itself, with its poignant, emotionally-packed events, described in a very engaging prose style, is totally riveting. Of course, I also loved it when the action shifted to Italy, with its spectacular landscapes. The town of Volterra was splendidly medieval, with its closely-packed buildings and quaint streets.

The ultimate power of this novel, and indeed, of the entire series, is the power of true love. Even though this power is presented through a paranormal tale, it is more important than the supernatural beings and events in the book. True, monogamous love, passionate and powerful, is the true protagonist of this beautifully-written book. Edward and Bella embody that love, while Jacob longs for it -- with Bella.

The huge appeal of this series is precisely that -- the presentation of an eternal, everlasting love, never to be destroyed, never to decrease....

In the midst of all the vampire and werewolf action, this is what matters about New Moon -- the eternal love of Edward and Bella. It's why I have read this novel, and am reading the entire series, again. I will never tire of it. Of course there will be other books, other stories. But I will always, always return to these tales of love, with their powerfully compelling characters and strongly emotional conflicts. That's because they deeply satisfy my soul.
on December 6, 2012
After reading NEW MOON, I feel like I ate a mountain of empty calories without any real payoff at the end. Sure, it was an enjoyable read, written for a particular audience, and done very well in that regard; sure, it had a steady pace like a racehorse destined for some sort of glory; and sure, there was no point where I wanted to put the book down, toss it across the room, or throw it in a garbage can. But I feel like Stephenie Meyer could have offered us so much more.

The basic plotline is this: Edward leaves, Bella stays, and then Edward returns. As a teenager myself, once, I like to believe I offered the world slightly more depth than what this particular story entailed. Of course, maybe that is just wishful thinking on my part. But it doesn't mean I will stop this particular saga in midstream, nor will I postpone the third book.

Since TWILIGHT offered the reader a bit more than this one did, I suppose I had set slightly higher expectations for this one. Not grand expectations, mind you, but I did hope to be dazzled a bit more than I was, especially since there is talent at work here.

I am curious to see what happens to these two ill-fated lovers, but I hope the next two novels prove a bit more interesting than this one did. If you thoroughly enjoyed the first book, or even if you're just curious to see what everyone is talking about, or if you happen to connect with these particular relationships on some level, as I did, or you're using this series as a marketing study, you probably won't want to miss this one. Otherwise, you may feel a little disappointed at the end.

Robert Downs
Author of Falling Immortality: Casey Holden, Private Investigator
I recognize that these are YA novels and I'm not the target demographic so after making those allowances I found Twilight to be enjoyable. However, New Moon annoyed me and it was harder to make those allowances. First of all, Edward is absent for most of the book and while I like Jacob, he is even more emotionally immature than Bella. I also didn't like how Bella strung Jacob along since she needed a place holder for Edward. That seems a bit pathetic. Why not take this opportunity to send the message of a resilient young woman who learns something about herself in this emotional time from which she becomes a stronger and more independent person? Instead, Bella becomes catatonic, then delusional and dangerous to herself. The whole alpha male wolf thing was annoying to me as well. I was glad when the story began again toward the end. I will still read the third one, but I hope it is more like Twilight than New Moon.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on July 28, 2008
(3.5 stars actually.)

Where Twlight left off, New Moon picks up--of course.

In case you aren't already aware of Twilight, it's the story of a 17 year old girl named Bella Swan who moved up to Forks, Washington and found herself in love with a vampire named Edward Cullen. After some misadventures which nearly claimed Bella's life, she began thinking more seriously (and I use that term loosely) about becoming a vampire herself so Edward no longer needs to worry about her safety and they can stay together forever.

New Moon begins rather bleakly when Edward decides to break off the relationship. This sends Bella spiraling into depression for a few months, until she notices that Edward's voice comes back to her when adrenaline is pumping. This prompts her to start walking on the wild side. Part of this wild side included riding a motorcycle, of which she knew nothing. She enlisted the aid of Jacob Black to fix up the motorcycle and teach her how to ride. Over the course of fixing the motorcycles, Bella and Jacob, though almost two years her junior, form a deep bond.

Where Twilight focused on getting to know Edward Cullen, New Moon focused on getting to know Jacob Black. We, as the readers, got to see how their indiviual relationships with Bella differed. Jacob actually contrasts Edward in almost every way. Jacob is bigger, less graceful, and not as disarmingly handsome as Edward. In fact, Jacob is a werewolf--natural enemy of the vampire.

One would think the climax of the book would somehow entail a bout between Jacob and Edward for the love of Bella, but it doesn't--at least, not overtly. The climax occurs when Bella must fly to Italy to save the life of her beloved Edward, thus saying a tortured good-bye to Jacob. That's the moment she realizes she's torn between the werewolf and the vampire. She wants the friendship of the werewolf, but craves the love of the vampire. But she knows ne'er the twain shall meet.

Since I don't want to fill this review with too many spoilers, I'll just jump to my notes on the book itself.

Again, Meyer's prose still left much to be desired, but it did improve since Twilight. Unfortunately, the same cannot be said about the editing. However, she hasn't gotten over latching on to a particular word and using it ad nauseum. In Twilight, the word was incredulous; in New Moon, it's glower. At any given moment, someone or something is glowering at someone or something else--or grimacing or growling.

The characters, with the noted exception of Jacob, are still rather shallow. Jacob is warm, unconventionally charming, intelligent, and funny. In fact, he seemed quite real.

One thing I didn't appreciate about his character, however, was his willingness to let Bella use him. More than once, she's made it clear that Jacob would be her second choice since Edward would always and forever be her first, yet Jacob stands idly by and accepts it. (In other words, Edward is Bella's Romeo while Jacob is her Paris.)

Rather than overcoming the absence of Edward and growing as an individual, Bella becomes a reckless teenager. Rebellion is to be expected, but going from a girl who can barely walk without tripping to someone who flings herself off a cliff just to hear the voice of her long gone sweetheart? I guess unhealthy obsession can make you do crazy things.

Edward didn't have much time to show us how he'd changed in the many months spent away from Bella since he was absent for much of the novel, so I'm reserving comment. (He still seems rather arrogant and smug, though.)

One truly positive thing I can say about New Moon is that it's much more fast-paced and contains more physical action than Twilight. There is an electric energy that permeates the book which wasn't there with Twilight and I believe that it comes from the introduction of Jacob's character.

At the end of the day, this book was still an enjoyable read and Meyer is still an excellent storyteller. Despite the flaws of prose and illogical reasoning for many of the emotions, it was easy to become lost in the fantasy. As I said in my review of Twilight, it's very much like watching a reality TV show featuring a clumsy teenage girl and, rather than a thoroughly confused vampire this time around, a charming teenage werewolf.

And also, like with Twilight, don't read this with too serious an eye. This is a fluff piece to be read on rainy days when you just want to escape from it all.
22 comments| 13 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
VINE VOICEon December 31, 2009
I recently watched the movie Twilight because my daughter got a copy and I thought "What the heck". I have to say that I'm a mature woman but this movie blew me away. I immediately got on Amazon and ordered "New Moon" (Kindle version). I have finished that book and moved on to "Eclipse". I feel rather foolish saying this but I LOVE this series. It is so romantic and loving that I can't put the books down. I know that this should appeal to the average 16 year old, hence, I feel ridiculous saying I LOVE it but I do. Maybe it brings out the kid in me or the hope of young love before you get cynical. I love the writing, the story line and the flow of the book. I know the premise is bizarre but at the same time it's exciting. I think it's fun to sometimes just put reality on the back burner and just enjoy a good story. I recommend seeing the first movie so you have the characters in your head and can then just watch them develop while you read the rest of the books. This book will not disappoint. Don't look for any reality type moments but more of just young kids trying to work out love and life. I can only speak for myself when I say that it's a joy to read. Edward and Bella are just wonderful and the best part for young people is that they see love without all the sex hype that most movies and TV advertisements have. These two people just have love for one another that is gripping to your soul. Jacob just adds another dimension to the story. It's a weird mix but then this happens in life so they are interesting metaphors for real life situations. Love the book - give it a try.
VINE VOICEon October 21, 2008
"New Moon", the follow-up to Book 1 of the Twilight saga (Twilight), is the continuing story of Bella Swan and her vampire boyfriend Edward Cullen and it contains romance and intrigue aplenty where the first left off. When Edward abruptly leaves Forks after Bella's 18th birthday despite declaring his undying love, Bella is an emotional zombie for several months afterward. She finds solace in her close friendship with Jacob Black and begins spending all her time with him rebuilding a pair of motorcycles as well as trying to distract herself from the pain of Edward's absence. Jacob is persistent in his romantic overtures but Bella repudiates his advances more than once, her final and decisive rebuff creating a nasty love triangle that nearly costs her their precious friendship. Meanwhile, a moderately interesting side story is taking place (and it all becomes fairly predictable as one reads on) that ultimately compromises everyone's relationships and serves as the catalyst for another climactic ending.

For fans of Meyer, "New Moon" will titillate with its melancholic air, sexual tension and consistent suspense. Surprisingly, it can also frustrate, the further development of Bella's character revealing a severely idealistic and somewhat superficial teenage girl who is obnoxiously consumed by her so-called love for Edward that when real love stares her in the face, she turns the other cheek. I can hardly imagine a girl/woman who would be satisfied with eternal damnation rather than marriage, children and a husband/boyfriend who could actually CONSUMMATE the relationship, but Bella's hardly your normal teenager. I commend Meyer for her bravery in writing a female protagonist that is at times highly unlikeable; most writers do want their readers to care about their characters but Bella's self-destructive behavior and self-absorbed motivations can sometimes exasperate even the most passive reader. Also up for criticism is Meyer's repeated use of facial descriptions/body language - still lots of eye-rolling and a lot of frowning and shuddering as well. Then there's the over-the-top character of Aro, a Volturi who for his odd enthusiasm, wistful sighs and exclamations of "wonderful!" comes off as curiously effeminate (see also: flamer - urbandictionary.com).

There are rays of light here and there in Meyer's writing, such as this commendable description of Jacob:

"Jacob was simply a perpetually happy person, and he carried that happiness with him like an aura, sharing it with whoever was near him. Like an earthbound sun, whenever someone was within his gravitational pull, Jacob warmed them. It was natural, a part of who he was. No wonder I was so eager to see him." (pg. 145)

Once again, Meyer includes an excerpt from the next book (Eclipse), a teaser designed to encourage a reader's continual devouring of the series. As a suspense writer, Meyer shows promise but if she wants to appeal to a more mature crowd, her language, subject matter and characters are in dire need of sophistication and introspection. It's easy to get lost for a little while in the fantasy but when a reader gets tired of all the improbabilities of the story and yearns to read something that is plausible and/or relatable, Meyer cannot deliver.

Bottom line: If you're a fan of Book 1, then you're bound to love all its counterparts and will probably find yourself racing through to the end of Book 4 (Breaking Dawn). Meyer's "marshmallow fluff" fiction (as one Amazon.com reviewer so succintly put) is addicting for those who want a highly fantasized escape and they need look no further than the "Twilight" saga.
on August 28, 2014
Although I loved this series, I have to say that New Moon just didn't quite do it for me as much as some of the other books in the series. Maybe it was the lack of Edward and Bella together and the fact she was in essence using Jacob (and vise versa) to try and forget. It made for a great threesome dynamic for the series though and introduced some dangerous players that we would see throughout the rest of the story in the next two books. A must read though.

**** 4 **** "left with a hole in my chest" stars