Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch New Album by Noah Gundersen PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Trade in. Get paid. Go shopping. Shop Now STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 97 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 126 reviews
on April 28, 2012
For any of you who are interested in learning some computer information to bridge that gap in your technology knowledge, I can highly recommend the text book we're using in my Computer Literacy class (CIS 101) at the local community college.

I bought this year-old edition, to save a few bucks over the 2012 version we were supposed to buy, because the instructor said it would be 95% as useful as the most recent edition. I've been doing quite well on the chapter tests taken from the 2012 version, so apparently he was truthful. The 2011 edition wouldn't be sufficient if you're trying to learn cutting edge technology, but then, what bound paper book about technology is ever truly cutting edge? The edge gets pushed outward every week or so; however, there are website articles for that. This volume is well-suited to provide a novice or non-techie a good/broad understanding of that mystical realm of "what are computers actually good for, and what the heck goes on inside one"?

(warning: the *brief* version of this book has only the first 4 chapters, and is not as worthwhile as the *comprehensive* version ~ but it would be adequate for someone who just wants to get familiar with home applications and understanding the meaning of the jargon used for home computer specifications, with no need for studying the internet, digital media, or more advanced application uses such as databases)

The writing style is down-to-earth, considering the difficulty of technical topics (for us laypeople anyway) - and that's a crucial lack in many technology books. The graphics are clear & helpful, and they include screen shots showing what you'd actually see on your computer screen if you did the exercises. I've appreciated the bold type used for all important terms, which helps me go back to cover something again while studying.

There are glossaries in all 12 chapters, titled as follows:
1 - Computers and Digital Basics
2 - Computer Hardware
3 - Computer Software
4 - Operating Systems and File Management
5 - LAN's and WLAN's (that means networks)
6 - The Internet
7 - The Web and E-mail
8 - Digital Media
9 - The computer Industry: History, Careers and Ethics
10 - Information Systems Analysis and Design
11 - Databases
12 - Computer Programming

And if your book has the CD with it, you have bonus interactive lessons. I'm planning to keep my comprehensive volume as a reference after the class ends (unless I upgrade it to the 2012 version, when they are available more cheaply). My purpose in taking the Computer Literacy class was to gain enough understanding about the more advanced functions of computers, networks, and software to speak intelligently as a small business owner with (1) any customers asking for digital photos/videos and (2) any vendors I might hire to create web content. Not trying to become a computer expert, just trying to have conversations about what technology can help me do. I feel that this reference book is helping me achieve that goal.
on October 18, 2013
This book is excellent! It's not the current edition, but if you are at all familiar with computers, you should be fine. It covers many topics in detail with short, digestible paragraphs. This book was not required, but suggested for the course. However, I am really happy that I purchased it, as it will help me with the basics in other tech classes (I plan on taking a programming class, and this has some basic definitions.)

I purchased this used at a really fair price--I got more than what I paid. By next year, this will be out of date, maybe, so I would purchase the 2013, used if you can find it.
on June 21, 2012
I received my textbook today, and I'm more pleased with how the seller went out of their way to send it. I made a complaint to Amazon directly because there was a misleading detail at the end of my order. To make a long story short, Yarokin communicated, and sent the textbook paying for the additional shipping when it wasn't something the seller had to do. This seller Yarokin has the reviews that it deserves and even more so. The other textbook I ordered from Amazon came out to be a book the CD did not come with, although it did not note it on the details, it should of been stated. Everything that Yarokin displays is integrity, good selling tactics and someone who just wanted to makesure I got my item. Thank you!!
on March 31, 2017
Product arrived on time & is good
on September 15, 2017
good product.
on April 5, 2016
I love the information that Ms. Parsons shares with the reader and the world. For me personally it is giving me the necessary foundation to confidentially pursue other business models that require a deft understanding of the computer and what the computer can do.
on January 25, 2012
I bought this book for a computer course; it is wonderfully illustrated and organized, but I am having difficulty reading through it because there is so much information packed into each chapter. The CD is a plus; it has interactive animation and website information that really helps add life to the text. I would recommend this book to anyone who wants to know the inner and outer workings of the computer. Beware of used copies, however, because they often do not come with a CD. Our class is required to complete the labs on the CD at the end of each chapter. This is a book that I will definitely keep at the end of the term.
on October 9, 2014
I like it very well, I am using it to teach two high school boys and it has a lot of information in it. I hope to get to the end or close by the end of our year. We are planning on having them build their own desktop computers and select the parts for it. I also have one who is wanting to get into game programming and I think this is a real good starter book for him.
on August 27, 2013
Arrived in two day which is great cause class starts in a couple of days.Has the smallest imaginable amount of wrinkles on the spine and that might just be from shipping, and there is a ring where the disk has rubbed on the cover. Honestly, i could care less about that. I'm just glad that it came with one. So many i looked for weren't guaranteed to have one.
on January 4, 2015
I purchased this book for an online class. I found the book very easy to follow and understand. Sometimes you purchase books like this and they are more confusing than anything but this booked just flowed and explained everything so well. I'm no longer in the class but I still refer certain sections in this book when needed.