BCA Month Beauty altText This Week in Books Hallo nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums $69.99 Handmade Tote Bags hgg17 Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon outlanders3premiere outlanders3premierealtText Watch Outlander on Starz with Amazon Channels outlanders3premierealtText Watch Outlander on Starz with Amazon Channels  Three new members of the Echo family Now shipping All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

The New Psycho-Cybernetics
Format: Paperback|Change

on November 10, 2015
One of the first copies of Maxwell Maltz's book, Psycho-Cybernetics is still, to this day, on my bookshelf.

In 1961, It did much more than just put me on my quest for self-improvement. For the very first time, someone connected the mind to the body and brought home the old, simple adage ... "Change your Mind and you change your life!"

That was Psycho-Cybernetics. That was the principle of Self Image Psychology ... proven and verified by science itself as an irresistible and powerful no nonsense psychology of happiness and fulfillment.

From there on ... for decades ... everything else that was printed in the Self Help Industry became supporting commentary for the principles in this book.

An now ... the new "enhanced" version of Psycho-Cybernetics just arrived. And Yesssss!!! I enjoyed this one as much as the original. If not more so!

Comparing the two, the new authors kept the voice and the insights of the original text intact, integrating only the updates needed for new generations to come to experience and cherish the joy of reading this old, new classic for the first time. And experience it, you will. You cannot do otherwise.

Indeed, it gives me great pleasure to recommend this new version of the book that's been around for over a half century. If you are not among the 35 million+ people who read the older one ... please, do yourself a favor ... get a copy now and read it!

You will find that Psycho-Cybernetics will do it to you, as it did it to us, decades ago. True to its kind, the new Enhanced version of Psycho-Cybernetics is still the only book that scientifically proves the principle of Self Image Psychology and makes it the new foundation for a new century's hope, success and the dream of a better life.

And the beat goes on!
on March 4, 2013
This film was made in 1957. It is black-and-white. The story takes place almost totally in one room--the jury room. The set consists of a table, chairs, some ash trays, a fan, some windows and a couple of notepads. The jury consists of, yup, you got it, 12 angry men.

Although this will seem outdated to many with its all-male jury, smoking allowed, no air-conditioning and no fancy meals, the story line transcends all that. It's a story of reasonable doubt, deductive reasoning/thinking and discovering that things aren't always as they seem.

The 12 men don't start out angry. One juror is not convinced of the guilt of the accused. In the process of discussing the details of the crime, tempers flare.

The photography is wonderful--the use of shadows & light and camera angles is a joy to behold. The interaction between the very diverse men is engaging, and although some of the scenes seem a little stilted (remember this was made in 1957), overall the acting is stellar.

I think this is a great movie to watch with young people to help them learn about tolerance, analyzing information, patience, critical thinking, humility and redemption. There is no sex, violence (other than a slight scuffle between two jurors), gore or swearing.
on May 31, 2016
I love this series. It accurately depicts how male and female cops interact. Angie Harmon is great. They did a great job writing Frost out of the series and the stories are engaging. I like the interaction of the Rizzoli family. The only thing that bugs me is how more often than not, they have a cop character going it alone when following up on a murder suspect, especially Rizzoli, which is just plain stupid and probably against most police department's protocol and policy. This is one of the few American police procedurals i can watch though. Most of the others are not realistic and use too many pretty people unlike BBC productions which use average people who look more the part. Overall great series.
Enthusiast: Coloringon March 13, 2016
I had seen this movie many years ago and loved it. Recently a family member was cast in the play at college. I wanted to watch the movie together by renting it digitally. I searched and the only place I could find this option was on Amazon. I rented the movie on my laptop and attached my laptop to my tv with an HDMI cord. The movie played full screen on my tv. We enjoyed the movie very much. The young Henry Fonda was a joy to watch. The movie is a classic (black and white), powerful and very entertaining.
on February 5, 2016
My four star rating is based on the DVD with extras, not the film itself which I consider to be a big five stars. The DVD comes in a basic plastic keepsake case. The DVD does have artwork on it via an image of Henry Fonda and the title of the movie. It played perfectly for me with no issues with audio or visual.

I'm very much into DVD extras. I was excited to hear the commentary that is provided by Drew Casper, a film historian. Unfortunately, I was more frustrated by the commentary than happy with it. Casper spoke in an odd rapid fire hushed tone that annoyed me greatly. In fact, I felt aggravated by it. He was calmer in certain sections as the movie progressed, but on the whole, it was not a pleasure to listen. He did have some interesting things to say here and there, however.

What I absolutely loved was a featurette on the making of the movie. This was full of interesting info and it felt complete as it discussed each of the jurors. It talked a lot about Fonda's efforts to get the movie made, too. Another shorter featurette talked about how it was inside the jury room. These two extras are worth the price of the DVD in my view.
Needless to say, with this cast, the acting is second to none. The actors and the script kept me captivated for the full 96 minutes of the movie. It was only after watching it did it dawn on me where the real genius of this movie lie and that's with director Sidney Lumet. I feel this way about the movie because I realize that the entire film is shot within the confines of a jury room. The whole thing is one single set and only a great director can create such a huge classic with, aside from the cast, so little.

This is a must see (or must own) for any movie buff/historian.
on March 10, 2014
Like a lot of people, I was born waaaay after the production and release of this movie. And like many of you, there are perfectly good films that just don't click for me because of the lack of technical polish (black and white, simple camera angles) and the slower pacing compared to modern films.

Those concerns were not an issue for 12 Angry Men.

This is a character study. You take 12 people, each with their own backgrounds, interests, prejudices and personalities, and put them in a (literally) locked room where they must decide the fate of a man: guilty or innocent. Does he die or get to live. And over the course of the film, the grapple not only with the facts of the case but each other and, in some cases, themselves.

Watching the Amazon Streaming Video version, I rented the SD version and couldn't tell the difference between it and the HD trailer I watched. So I wouldn't bother renting or buying HD. The trailer is awful by the way. The film is much better.

However, if you like character driven drama with clever dialogue, this is the film for you.
on January 13, 2015
This show manages to blend the dark side of life with positive counter balance. It takes me back to kind of TV I enjoy.

This show manages to blend the dark side of life with positive counter balance.

It is great to see a show about supportive friendship/family, with its ups & downs, in a way that I can relate to from my experiences with my own friends/life.

At times the writers seem to fall back on the standard formula for police drama, but more often than not, the show keeps a realistic balance of positive and negative. Most of the story lines are well written; but I always wonder why it is necessary to always throw in a psychotic killer who keeps making appearances.

If less was shown about crazy, psychotic behavior, maybe there might be less of it in real life. Life has many, many stories that can be told without the vicious, vindictive, crazy, characters being the main focus.

With all that said, Rizzoli & Isles is positively different enough from many of today's TV shows for me to really enjoy watching. it.
on July 30, 2015
This movie touches on important social issues as the jurors decide the fate of a lower income kid who will get the death penalty if convicted of murder. The character played by Henry Fonda is the only one who thinks there is a reasonable doubt and he must win over all the other 11 jurors to prevent a hung jury. The men have bias against this poor ghetto kid with a record. It touches on issues of predudice and inequitable resources (the kid has a lousy court appointed lawyer). It doesn't discuss racism, homophobia or sexism (all the 1957 characters are white guys), but it easily could. How fair a trial would the kid get if he were black or gay or a Moslem? I'd love to see a modern remake with more diversity.

As a screenwriter, I loved watching this film because it was highly instructive and showed how a dramatic film can be made on a really low budget (as nearly the entire movie was shot in the juror's room with the 12 jurors. I also thought it was a profound commentary on society.
on November 16, 2016
A gripping portrayal of the deliberations of a murder-trial jury and what the presumption of innocence means. The movie is well cast and the entire movie takes place in a New York jury room. Students of our judicial system, leadership and interpersonal communications will find it interesting as 12 very different men deal with personal bias, prejudice, stereotypes and unbearable heat in a tense discussion of a young man's guilt.