Industrial Deals HPC Spring Reading Introducing Prime Wardrobe nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Offline listening. Learn more. PCB for select Bang & Olufsen Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon westworldS2 westworldS2 westworldS2  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now TG18PP_gno

Showing 1-10 of 160 reviews(4 star). See all 580 reviews
on January 10, 2013
After the dismal failure of Crossroads of Twilight, New Spring is refreshing. Following two plot lines, the "short" novel details the last Accepted days and first Aes Sedai days of both Moiraine and Siuan. The other plot line focuses on Lan.

The White Tower is besieged by Aiel. All Aes Sedai save for the Amyrlin, and the Keeper, Gitara, are outside healing soldiers. One night while Moiraine and Suian are attending the two, Gitara Fortells that the Dragon has been reborn. Siuan and Moiraine are then sent on a discreet hunt to find him. It's a hunt that will have them confront the Black Ajah and conspiracies in the White Tower that lead to the death of the Amyrlin. Meanwhile, Lan fights his own war against the Shadow. Eventually these two plots intersect and you have a climactic showdown in Chachin. Like I said in a previous review, it's as if Jordan wants to show a bit of every single country.

Raised to Aes Sedai shortly after the Fortelling, the section on Moiraine shows much more of the White Tower and how it functions. It's actually pretty revealing, especially as it concerns how Aes Sedai hierarchy works. And the section on Lan reveals more about Malkier society. All in all, New Spring is a good prequel to the series and a refreshing work after Crossroads of Twilight. Oh and if you're especially observant, you learn who Elyas' Aes Sedai is.

For New Spring I decided to check on sniffs too. There are only two.

Elaida - I
Moiraine - I

And for the 11 books so far (11 includes the prequel)

Total So Far
Nynaeve - IIIII IIIII IIIII IIIII IIIII IIIII IIIII IIIII IIIII II (47)
Egwene - IIIII IIIII IIIII II (17)
Elayne - IIIII IIIII IIIII I (16)
Aviendha - IIIII IIIII II (12)
Min - IIIII III (8)
Verin - I
Woman in Fal Dara - I
Women of Emond's Field - I
on February 20, 2013
The Aiel War comes to an abrupt end, leaving a Malkieri soldier named Lan Mandrogoran longing to avenge his lost kingdom. Moiraine Damodred and Siuan Sanche, two young Accepted in the White Tower, stumble onto a search for the newly born Dragon who will defeat the Dark Lord in the Last Battle. Two of the most iconic characters from the early books of the WoT series are brought together in this prequel.

While it's fun to revisit this world and spend some time with characters that we haven't seen in a while, this book is largely unnecessary. There's a good deal of fan service for followers of the series, but it must have been frustrating to read when it came out, following the cliffhanger ending of Crossroads of Twilight without any resolution at all. That makes it a difficult book to place. It's not a particularly good entry point to the series, but it's not a series you want to interrupt, considering that the books are a single narrative.

That said, it's fun to read a Wheel of Time book that has brevity and focus. And we get to see a portion of the test by which Accepted are raised Aes Sedai and spend time with a character who is constantly struggling with the three oaths. That shift in perspective makes this feel fresh, along with the reader's knowledge that Moiraine is not in any danger of actually finding the Dragon Reborn in this book.

So, I don't know, squeeze it in somewhere. Or start with it if you ever go back to the series.
on June 11, 2012
One of the shortest books in Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series, New Spring differs in several ways. First, it is a prequel, beginning some eighteen years prior to The Eye of the World, and rather than the three youths, Rand, Mat, and Perrin, focuses on the Aes Sedai, Moiraine, her best friend, Siuan, and her warder, Lan Mandragoran. It also is much faster in pace, with less attention to the details of setting, countries, and customs and more to the characters and the plot development. Written after ten previous volumes, Mr. Jordan seems to assume his readers are already comfortable in (if not natives of) the Wheel of Time world, which approach lends greatly to the enjoyment of this book. Two or three of his other late-in-the-series books could have benefited from this same approach.

In this book, two of our favorite supporting characters, Moiraine Damodred and Siuan Sanche are young Accepted at the White Tower when they witness a Foretelling prophesying of the birth of the Dragon Reborn. In the meantime, Lan Mandragon is outside the walls of Tar Valon fighting the last skirmishes of the Aiel War. Over the course of the book,the two friends begin their perilous quest to find the new babe who will one day hopefully save the world, and sweep up Lan into it as together they battle against the dreaded Black Ajah.

I enjoyed this book and finished it quickly. Mr. Jordan initially intended to make this a three-volume series, but his untimely death prevented it, as it did his completion of the last volumes of The Wheel of Time. Brandon Sanderson has thus far done a marvelous job completing two of the three last volumes of the first series with the help of Mr. Jordan's extensive notes and writing. It is to be hoped that completing the youthful tale of Moiraine, Siuan and Lan is on his to-do list.

Final word: I own this book. It goes on my 'enjoy again' shelf
on September 25, 2012
I love the character of Moraine. What really helps this book is focus. A lot of times Jordan will have a large book with it going everywhere. This book has a main character. That is Moraine. Then it tells her story about twenty years before the start of the Eye of the World. This novel is chock full of the good stuff that loyal fans of the Wheel of Time have come to expect. There is Black Ajah, good humor, court polotics, and epic battles.

There is still a few things wrong with it. I love Jordan's books but he can ramble about goofy stuff. While there is a end to this book there is a lot of plot threads left hanging. This is because Jordan planned on writing more books that would have been sequels to this book. Tragically he died so this book can feel a little anti climatic.

Still this is good stuff. I would recommend this to anybody that is a Wheel of Time fan. Those who are new to the series I would say wait until you have read at least the first five books before you start this one.
on October 15, 2013
I purchased and read this book after I had finished the entire Wheel of Time series for the first time.

It was great to continue to read more about the characters that I'd already started to miss, and I found some of the back story very exciting! Overall though, I couldn't shake the feeling that this could have been any of the other girls, like Egwene and Nynaeve, instead of Siuan and Moiraine. By that I mean it feel like a re-hash of some of the stories with those girls, and their personalities didn't stand out enough.

Either way, if you like the Wheel of Time series, i think you'll like this one. It could probably be read anytime after the first couple of books, though nothing important enough that you couldn't wait until after finishing the series.
on November 8, 2015
This prequel is one for the books. Mr. Jordan deftly laid the groundwork for the Wheel of Time series. Intrigue, politics, duty, friendship, and betrayal feature in New Spring. One of my favorite things about the wheel of Time series is that you never know for sure exactly whom you can and cannot trust. Moraine is an Aes Sedai James bond in this book has a very unique way of taking the plot. I look forward to reading the rest of the wheel of Time series and encourage other readers to do the same. You will not be disappointed.
on March 17, 2012
If you have, or if you are reading the Wheel of Time series, it is ok to read this book before finishing the rest. The revelations in this book do not impact the stories told in future books. I does tell a very interesting story about Moraines' journey to becoming an Aes Sedai and how she and Lan met and how it ultimately led to his bonding to her as Warder. I would highly recommend reading it especially if you had any of those nagging questions about the back story or how Moraine came to choose the Blue Ajah or the politics of the White Tower. New Spring is not without its own drama and intrigue either and it is where the whole story begins. It really does clarify some of the details missing in the series that would help you better understand what is going on with the characters, specifically Lan and Moraine.
on October 26, 2015
Like so many others, I'd managed to get bogged down in the glacial pace of the latter part of the Wheel of Time saga, so Momma Bear suggested I read this to re-peak my interest. It worked! I'm ready to dive back in and finally find out how the series ends. Then I'll come back and read still more books about how it began!

Good fun...
on January 4, 2013
While the story of New Spring is not particularly compelling in its own right, the book is valuable as context for the main entries in the Wheel of Time series. It provides additional background on Malkier and the inner workings of the White Tower, and provides some interesting character insight into Lan Mandragoran and Moiraine Damodred, and to a lesser extent, Siuan Sanche. Even though it is technically a prequel, it would be a poor introduction to the world of the Wheel of Time, and is better read after having read a number of entries in the main series.
on April 22, 2017
This was a fun prequel. Full of intrigue and excitement. I would recommend this to anyone who has already read or is planning to start the wheel of time series.