About the Product
- Experience over 80 new courses as Luigi
- Show off your skills as you master each challenging course
- Share triumphs with the community via Miiverse (Broadband Internet access required for online features. For more info, go to support.nintendo.com)
Frequently Bought Together
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
From the Manufacturer
Luigi takes center stage in his first starring role in a platform adventure! Show off your skills as the green-hatted hero, complete with his trademark high jump, as you experience over 80 new courses. This special packaged version of New Super Luigi U celebrates the Year of Luigi and does not require New Super Mario Bros. U to play.
With Mario nowhere to be found, it’s up to Luigi to save the day in a brand-new adventure that takes place in the world of New Super Mario Bros. U. Experience new gameplay challenges as you guide Luigi, complete with his high jump and unique slide, through all-new courses. Enjoy high replay-ability and satisfaction from mastering each course, and then share your triumphs via the Miiverse feature. Up to five players** can jump into the fun, with Nabbit taking the place of Mario as a playable character. Help Luigi finally prove he has what it takes!
- Take control of Luigi in his first starring role in a platform adventure
- Level-up your New Super Mario Bros. U experience with more than 80 new courses
- High replay-ability and satisfaction from mastering each course
- Play with distinct Luigi physics, including his unique slide and higher and longer jumps
- No time to waste as each course begins with only 100 seconds
- For the first time, play as Nabbit, invincible to enemies and obstacles
- Share triumphs with the community via the Miiverse feature*
- Play using a Wii Remote controller, the Wii U GamePad controller, or a Wii U Pro Controller
- This special standalone packaged version does not require New Super Mario Bros. U to play
* Broadband Internet access required for online features.
** Additional controllers required for multi-player mode, sold separately.
Top Customer Reviews
The game is classic side-scrolling Mario style fun in the same vein as the original NES games, much like all New Super Mario games. To be more precise, they should be calling these "Retro Super Mario Bros." because that's exactly what they are.
The Luigi game brings back nearly all of the levels of the Mario counterpart but remixes them into all-new designs that are made about half as long, but with slightly harder sections. It was actually cool to play both games back to back to see all the same familiar levels redone in completely new challenging ways. People who've played the first will be used to this enough to be able to do well, but the game may feel incredibly hard to those new to the series. As an expert gamer, in some ways I found this version easier simply because the levels were over so soon. Don't let the short length scare you from buying this, though. There are still about 80 levels, 3 star coins to find per level, multiple paths within the levels, and plenty of replay in going back to find everything you missed. At the budget price it's a pretty good value.
The main drawback to the game is just the quick pace of play if you're in the mood for something more laid back. This game is absolutely out to kill you at every turn. You need to be on your toes and ready for the most unexpected and occasionally frustrating deaths.Read more ›
* All the worlds are the same from New Super Mario Bros. U (Acorn Plains, Layer Cake Desert, etc.). I was expecting new worlds with completely new levels just for Luigi. I was most disappointed with this.
* Most of the cut scenes are the same (minor tweaks based on the lack of Mario as a playable character)
* Each level in each world is a re-hash of the original (although some do feel completely different)
* Almost every level you only get 100 seconds to complete it. There are no checkpoint flags and the levels are short. I don't understand this design decision as I like to take my time and not feel rushed through a game. I like to figure out the best path and the best way to grab Star Coins instead of just plowing through a level. You can argue this adds to the challenge (and it does) but I don't care as I personally don't like speed runs.
* Luigi's handles differently than Mario. He can jump higher and "float" down after a jump. He soars through the air compared to Mario. This makes completing the levels more fun and I do like this change of controls. The amount of ground Luigi can cover in a short amount of time is amazing. Perhaps this is why there is a 100 second time limit (which I still dislike).Read more ›
Please note: Mario does not appear at all as a playable character. After beating the game, you can play as Luigi using the standard physics of his brother.
To put it kindly, the Wii U has had a rough first year. The sales have simply not been there, and Nintendo is fighting tooth and nail to get the install base up for their new machine. One of the key factors has been lack of software titles. Nintendo skipped the full blown dog and pony show of E3, instead issuing a Nintendo Direct (an online presentation of the new software titles that the company was launching). In April 2013, we first learned about "New Super Luigi U", a full blown game starring Luigi. To say we were surprised due to "New Super Mario Bros. U" had jut launched November 2012 is putting it lightly.
However, this isn't the whole story. "New Super Luigi U" straddles the fence between a "brand new game" and an extensive "downloadable content" addition to an already existing game. I personally believe we have gotten a retail version of "NSLU" for a two fold purpose: this DLC is long enough to merit a stand-alone release, and, much more importantly, acts as a stop-gap release in preparation for the all important Christmas season for the admittedly very slim library of Wii U games that have been available in its first year.Read more ›
Most Recent Customer Reviews
The game is for more of a "hardcore Mario fan". 100 seconds to finish smaller revamped super Mario bros Wii u levels. Read morePublished 1 month ago by Maurice
It did not work at all due to the region we live in so we hadon't to return itPublished 1 month ago by Amazon Customer
Fun challenge. If you liked New Super Mario Bros U and wanted some challenges, this is the right game. Read morePublished 5 months ago by Anorak Cafe Podcast