Spring Deals Automotive Best Books of the Month New-season heels nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stream your favorites. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Echo Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now TG18SW_gno

on May 11, 2015
I grew up on Super Mario Bros... Super Mario Bros 2... Super Mario Bros 3... Super Mario World... Super Mario 64... and then for a while I quit playing Nintendo. It was the time of PS2 and XBox, and I have not played a Nintendo game in several years now.

I bought my youngest son a Nintendo DS not long ago - and this was one of the games I got him for it.

Unlike most nostalgic feelings - this has been a real treat to revisit this part of my childhood. My son was playing it, and asked me to get him past a certain part. I was immediately hooked and continued playing until I had beat several more levels. Since then I have been grabbing his DS at every opportunity and playing further along - and am about halfway through the game so far.

It is classic Mario - if you ever played any of the original games you'll know the score - however new music, some new moves (downward slams, wall jumping, etc.) as well as delightful moments such as getting the super big mushroom which makes Mario as tall as the screen - while you laugh like crazy and burst through everything - walls, blocks, enemies, etc. like King Kong on crack add a whole new depth to the game - and keep the 80's classic fresh in its newest form. If you grew up on the old games like I did - you will squeal with delight when you see a new enemy that was only in a select level or two from one of the older games - that brings the memories back fresh.

I am extremely pleased at how such a classic character can be brought back in a fresh new way - and invigorate this franchise which is still going strong after two, nearly three decades.

I had absolutely no interest in the Nintendo DS and only bought my son one because he had been really good this year. Now that I've tried out this game - I find myself browsing through Amazon for new DS games to try.

I wholeheartedly recommend this game for the DS... although I will warn you that you will find yourself wanting to feed your new addiction with more games for the system.
11 comment| 16 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
Top Contributor: Petson July 11, 2016
I've always been a fan of the Mario franchise, and this was one of the first games I picked up when I bought a DS. I beat it, but somewhere along the way it got lost so I purchased it again.

If you've ever played Mario (the regular ones, not the newer 3D ones), you know what to expect from this. Each level is fairly short but as you go along, they increase in difficulty. Once you beat the game, it's fun to go back and gather missed items. It's also possible to unlock other worlds as you go along.

This game is becoming harder to find, so if you're on the fence, go ahead and get it before the jerks that resell at outrageous prices snatch up the reasonably priced ones.
on August 20, 2016
This is a review on an order that was fulfilled several years ago. It turns out this was a counterfeit copy of the game. It will not longer play on my son's 3DS after Nintendo sent an update to block the fakes. The cartridge that I received was labeled as NTR-A2DP-USA, which is not a valid product code. Be careful buying used copies of this game,
review imagereview image
on November 2, 2016
Just as frustrating and hard as original lol good game
on April 16, 2014
I've always been a fan of the original SMB for the NES & arcade. Who hasn't or isn't? The graphics are amazing,
very colorful. The music is classic SMB done right. The play controls are tight and precise. There are numerous
secrets to be found and the replayability is very high. There are some gamers who say the game is too easy.
There are some areas that are, but the difficulty is just right in my opinion. The fun factor is out of this world, I
won't reveal anything here, you have to play this game and experience it for yourself.
Very highly recommended for SMB fanatics everywhere.
on February 2, 2017
One of the best portable Mario games ever created in my opinion, the game is challenging, frustrating and genuinely exciting at times. The controls are more tighter and responsive than they have ever been, and I think this game is superior to New SMB 2, which was a bit too easy.
on April 27, 2013
As a fan of Mario games, this game is definitely a must own. I've heard people complain that it doesn't offer a whole lot of change or innovation compared to games like Super Mario Bros 3 on NES or Super Mario World on SNES, but honestly, that's kind of the point. This game, and indeed the series of games that it spawned (the New Super Mario Bros games) are very deliberately retro. They very deliberately use the same gameplay as the classics.

That said, they still do offer some new power-ups that allow for new/different ways to do things. So no, its not the next generation of games, but it is another iteration of the classic formula that people still love, and apparently still want, considering how well this series seems to be selling.

In addition to the main "storyline" game (if it can even be said to have much of a story), this also includes a load of mini-games and multiplayer games, some of which DON'T require a second copy of the game to play (as long as the other party has a DS).

All in all a great purchase for fans of the Mario series.
on May 27, 2013
There are sometimes where you look at classic video games, and how much they've impacting the gaming industry. While there are great games out there that have been well-receieved like Halo, Doom, Madden '06, and others that've really shown a great depth of universal appeal. That has definitely also been the case with Mario. Since 1981, as Jumpman in Donkey Kong, Mario has been the most universal of all the video game characters and personas ever, and continues to develop with the times. That also has been shown with the Nintendo DS as well. The breakout success of Nintendo's latest handheld system has really been a great transition to how we play video games on hand with the stylus, and appeal of the dual screen action. Now, Mario is set to have that classic feeling all over again.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on April 24, 2014
This game was a big deal at the time of its release. It was a return to the traditional side-scrolling Mario with new and creative elements to bring everyone's favorite Italian plumber into the modern age. Unfortunately, I picked the game up many years after the fact. In light of games like Mario 3D Land and 3D World, this game feels a little stale. It's still enjoyable, as all Mario games are, but feels more nostalgic than anything else. It's also a rather short game, so keep that in mind if you're a gamer looking for a long playtime. I would definitely recommend for DS or 3DS owners who haven't played it, but there are many better Mario games out there at this point.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on July 7, 2016
A little different than the original Super Mario Brothers games I was use to playing, but I suppose that's why they named it NEW Super Mario Bros.
It's a great game with great graphics and fun for everyone! I orig. purchased this new in 2006 and am still playing it time to time 10 years later. That's gotta say something!

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.