Lyft Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Weekly One ft Nina Nesbitt PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Tailgating ToyHW17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 991 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 1,441 reviews
on May 11, 2015
I grew up on Super Mario Bros... Super Mario Bros 2... Super Mario Bros 3... Super Mario World... Super Mario 64... and then for a while I quit playing Nintendo. It was the time of PS2 and XBox, and I have not played a Nintendo game in several years now.

I bought my youngest son a Nintendo DS not long ago - and this was one of the games I got him for it.

Unlike most nostalgic feelings - this has been a real treat to revisit this part of my childhood. My son was playing it, and asked me to get him past a certain part. I was immediately hooked and continued playing until I had beat several more levels. Since then I have been grabbing his DS at every opportunity and playing further along - and am about halfway through the game so far.

It is classic Mario - if you ever played any of the original games you'll know the score - however new music, some new moves (downward slams, wall jumping, etc.) as well as delightful moments such as getting the super big mushroom which makes Mario as tall as the screen - while you laugh like crazy and burst through everything - walls, blocks, enemies, etc. like King Kong on crack add a whole new depth to the game - and keep the 80's classic fresh in its newest form. If you grew up on the old games like I did - you will squeal with delight when you see a new enemy that was only in a select level or two from one of the older games - that brings the memories back fresh.

I am extremely pleased at how such a classic character can be brought back in a fresh new way - and invigorate this franchise which is still going strong after two, nearly three decades.

I had absolutely no interest in the Nintendo DS and only bought my son one because he had been really good this year. Now that I've tried out this game - I find myself browsing through Amazon for new DS games to try.

I wholeheartedly recommend this game for the DS... although I will warn you that you will find yourself wanting to feed your new addiction with more games for the system.
on July 11, 2016
I've always been a fan of the Mario franchise, and this was one of the first games I picked up when I bought a DS. I beat it, but somewhere along the way it got lost so I purchased it again.

If you've ever played Mario (the regular ones, not the newer 3D ones), you know what to expect from this. Each level is fairly short but as you go along, they increase in difficulty. Once you beat the game, it's fun to go back and gather missed items. It's also possible to unlock other worlds as you go along.

This game is becoming harder to find, so if you're on the fence, go ahead and get it before the jerks that resell at outrageous prices snatch up the reasonably priced ones.
on April 16, 2014
I've always been a fan of the original SMB for the NES & arcade. Who hasn't or isn't? The graphics are amazing,
very colorful. The music is classic SMB done right. The play controls are tight and precise. There are numerous
secrets to be found and the replayability is very high. There are some gamers who say the game is too easy.
There are some areas that are, but the difficulty is just right in my opinion. The fun factor is out of this world, I
won't reveal anything here, you have to play this game and experience it for yourself.
Very highly recommended for SMB fanatics everywhere.
VINE VOICEon September 2, 2010
I am 36 years old. My son is 6 years old. We both play this and have a blast. I have played all the NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, and Wii Mario games. This game utilizes everything from the earlier SMB games and adds some new things. It has levels that pay tribute to old levels (ie: 8-7 is different but reminiscent of 8-7 in the original SMB). There is even a level that has floors similar to the original Mario Bros arcade game. In my opinion, this is the best 2D Mario game out. The level design and fun factor in this game is off the charts. In fact, it inspired me to get some old classic handheld mario games...Super Mario Land 1,2, and 3 and the Wario Land games for the GB/GBC. I've heard great things about those and I'm looking forward to playing them.

In case anyone is wondering...this is a different game than New Super Mario Bros. for the Wii...they both contain completely different levels. The Wii version allows up to 4 players to play on the same Wii at the same time...it's a fun game, but I like this DS game better.

There are 3 save slots, so my son has his own save and I have my own. He loves the game but has trouble after world 3, so I have to help him through some of the more difficult parts. He loves the minigames and begs me to play them with him. If you have 2 DS systems and 1 cartridge, then you can play the minigames against each other which is fun. I can't say I love the minigames as much as he does, but they are fun, quick, and it makes him happy. I just finished the main game a few minutes ago and it was a blast from beginning to end.

Each world is easy enough for casual gamers to get through and there are 3 coins in each level to collect...collecting all these coins gives more challenge for the more advanced gamer. The game got more difficult around world 6, so I went back through the earlier worlds again to collect those coins and to build up my extra lives. Then I came back to finish the game. To complete the game, you only have to go through 6 of the 8 worlds...the other 2 worlds have to be unlocked somehow.

Now that I completed the game, I need to go back and collect all those coins and unlock the two worlds I haven't gotten to yet.
on November 2, 2016
Just as frustrating and hard as original lol good game
on April 27, 2013
As a fan of Mario games, this game is definitely a must own. I've heard people complain that it doesn't offer a whole lot of change or innovation compared to games like Super Mario Bros 3 on NES or Super Mario World on SNES, but honestly, that's kind of the point. This game, and indeed the series of games that it spawned (the New Super Mario Bros games) are very deliberately retro. They very deliberately use the same gameplay as the classics.

That said, they still do offer some new power-ups that allow for new/different ways to do things. So no, its not the next generation of games, but it is another iteration of the classic formula that people still love, and apparently still want, considering how well this series seems to be selling.

In addition to the main "storyline" game (if it can even be said to have much of a story), this also includes a load of mini-games and multiplayer games, some of which DON'T require a second copy of the game to play (as long as the other party has a DS).

All in all a great purchase for fans of the Mario series.
on September 9, 2016
My family loves this Super Mario Bros game. I purchased it back in 2014. I played nintendo Super Marios growing up, so when I saw this, I bought for more kids, when I knew that I myself wanted to play this game. I love playing it with my kids. We have four Wii remotes, so I can play with my three kids (ages 14,12, and 9). We have playing it off and on for the last two years. We have solved it, but yet they still continue to play it. When they have friends over, this is the game that the play with most on the Wii. Sometimes they argue (you took my mushroom, you took my flower, etc), but overall we all have fun and work together to search for the coins and pass each world. If you ever played Mario brothers growing up, then you will defiantly want to give this game a try.
on June 1, 2006
I mainly bought this game because of the mini games. I had so much fun with them on the Super Mario version. I was dissapointed to see they were repeats, but they are still fun, of course. Anyway, I started to play the actual game and i was just blown away. I read the other reviews and I was expecting some real downers like the game being too short and other problems, but I have to dissagree. Even though the game reminds me mostly of Super Mario 3 of the original Nintendo, it has a lot of elements with the very first Super mario game. For instance, it has 8 worlds, a castle of course being at the end of each world, and a flag you jump to at the end of each level. Like the future Mario games, there are more than four levels in each world. What's cool is, you can go back to these levels and explore things you missed the first time. I like that there is a mushroom that makes you a giant and a mushroom that makes you a tiny mario. I thought it was cool when I saw the teeny tiny pipe only little mario can squeeze into. Anyway, like the original mario game, the first level in the world is rather easy, but gets harder with each level until you get to the castle. I'm still on World two, because I'm not getting the three special coins in all the levels and I'd like to unlock some bonuses with them. My favorite part of the game is the fact that you can save a flower power, big mushroom, mushroom etc on the lower screen (only one at a time though) and when your guy is in trouble, touch it and down if falls on mario. Also, every time you go into a pipe, unless it shoots you into the sky, mario goes down and the game appears on the lower screen. I think that was a very cool idea. It's just a really fun game. It's worth every penny. I can overlook that he cant fly, because he couldn't in the original mario game, but he becomes a giant, so who cares. Everything you have to do is where you can reach it most of the time. So in conclusion, I only gave four stars overall because, the mini games are repeats and I agree with other critics that it's annoying when you can't save from anywhere. That's why I try to get all the special coins. When you have five coins, you can unlock a bonus spot in the game, and before you get your bonus, they ask you if you want to save. You also can save when you defeat a castle or the smaller castle in the middle of the worlds. But still, that's not convenient at all. It's still worth the money and I can live with those two exceptions. Thanks for reading.
on September 2, 2017
I honestly have no idea how to advance. I got past the first "round" but it doesn't save so I have to do it over every time I play. Please help lol
on December 5, 2015
Even better than the Wii version - they are not identical games as I thought. This is a title every Mario lover needs in theor game collection such as my 7 year old is.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.