Industrial Deals HPC Best Books of the Year Holiday Dress Guide nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Listen for a chance to win STEM $54.99 for a limited time only Handmade Gift Shop Holiday Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Shop movie deals exclusively for Prime members on Amazon Video Shop movie deals exclusively for Prime members on Amazon Video Shop movie deals exclusively for Prime members on Amazon Video  Echo Devices starting at $29.99 Save $30 on All-New Fire HD 8. Limited-time offer. $20 off Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now HTL17_gno

I've always been a fan of the Mario franchise, and this was one of the first games I picked up when I bought a DS. I beat it, but somewhere along the way it got lost so I purchased it again.

If you've ever played Mario (the regular ones, not the newer 3D ones), you know what to expect from this. Each level is fairly short but as you go along, they increase in difficulty. Once you beat the game, it's fun to go back and gather missed items. It's also possible to unlock other worlds as you go along.

This game is becoming harder to find, so if you're on the fence, go ahead and get it before the jerks that resell at outrageous prices snatch up the reasonably priced ones.
on November 13, 2017
I own every version of the Nintendo DS since it first came out. This game came with my first DS. I have since sold it, but always missed it. Bought another copy! It remains one of the best games out there for the DS system.
on June 1, 2006
I mainly bought this game because of the mini games. I had so much fun with them on the Super Mario version. I was dissapointed to see they were repeats, but they are still fun, of course. Anyway, I started to play the actual game and i was just blown away. I read the other reviews and I was expecting some real downers like the game being too short and other problems, but I have to dissagree. Even though the game reminds me mostly of Super Mario 3 of the original Nintendo, it has a lot of elements with the very first Super mario game. For instance, it has 8 worlds, a castle of course being at the end of each world, and a flag you jump to at the end of each level. Like the future Mario games, there are more than four levels in each world. What's cool is, you can go back to these levels and explore things you missed the first time. I like that there is a mushroom that makes you a giant and a mushroom that makes you a tiny mario. I thought it was cool when I saw the teeny tiny pipe only little mario can squeeze into. Anyway, like the original mario game, the first level in the world is rather easy, but gets harder with each level until you get to the castle. I'm still on World two, because I'm not getting the three special coins in all the levels and I'd like to unlock some bonuses with them. My favorite part of the game is the fact that you can save a flower power, big mushroom, mushroom etc on the lower screen (only one at a time though) and when your guy is in trouble, touch it and down if falls on mario. Also, every time you go into a pipe, unless it shoots you into the sky, mario goes down and the game appears on the lower screen. I think that was a very cool idea. It's just a really fun game. It's worth every penny. I can overlook that he cant fly, because he couldn't in the original mario game, but he becomes a giant, so who cares. Everything you have to do is where you can reach it most of the time. So in conclusion, I only gave four stars overall because, the mini games are repeats and I agree with other critics that it's annoying when you can't save from anywhere. That's why I try to get all the special coins. When you have five coins, you can unlock a bonus spot in the game, and before you get your bonus, they ask you if you want to save. You also can save when you defeat a castle or the smaller castle in the middle of the worlds. But still, that's not convenient at all. It's still worth the money and I can live with those two exceptions. Thanks for reading.
on September 2, 2017
I honestly have no idea how to advance. I got past the first "round" but it doesn't save so I have to do it over every time I play. Please help lol
on December 26, 2016
Got the game and it didn't even play the picture was yellow and the cartridge was very dirty I had to get a Q-tip and alcohol and clean it very well for it to even play
on December 5, 2015
Even better than the Wii version - they are not identical games as I thought. This is a title every Mario lover needs in theor game collection such as my 7 year old is.
on June 4, 2014
Awesome and affordable. I was really happy that it shipped in a timely fashion for Christmas that year. The only thing that keeps me from giving that final star is the fact that I almost threw it away with initial "unboxing." The package was a small shipping envelope and inside it was filled with brown packing paper. The little chip was just hanging out in that wad of paper.
on July 7, 2016
A little different than the original Super Mario Brothers games I was use to playing, but I suppose that's why they named it NEW Super Mario Bros.
It's a great game with great graphics and fun for everyone! I orig. purchased this new in 2006 and am still playing it time to time 10 years later. That's gotta say something!
on July 7, 2017
new super mario bros is a really impressive game. the graphics are very beautiful, and the gameplay is top notch side-scrolling action. the only minor complaint i've got is that i would like to save anywhere, but other than that it's a great DS game.
on January 19, 2014
So far, haven't found anything about this game I dislike. This game was purchased for my son on his Nintendo 2ds platform. It's a great take on the Mario game while remaining reminiscent of the original Super Mario Bros., but with many improvements. My five year old son was amazed that his father knew how to play it, which made me chuckle a bit. The levels do a good job of getting more challenging as you go and all the little additions to the game are great! The giant Mario mushroom is my son's favorite, allowing Mario to grow to enormous size and squash the mushrooms and Koopas and kick the warp tunnels out of the way. Nintendo had a smash hit with this game when it was introduced all those years ago, and with every iteration reinvents it enough to make it a hit with another generation of kids. Great job guys, the whole family loves the game.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.