Truck Reviews HPC Spring Reading Men's slip on sneakers nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc CMA Fest Fire TV Stick Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Kids Edition Echo Dot Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite Find a new favorite show Find a new favorite show Find a new favorite show Shop now SWMTVT18_gno

New Super Mario Bros
Format: Video Game|Change

on May 11, 2015
I grew up on Super Mario Bros... Super Mario Bros 2... Super Mario Bros 3... Super Mario World... Super Mario 64... and then for a while I quit playing Nintendo. It was the time of PS2 and XBox, and I have not played a Nintendo game in several years now.

I bought my youngest son a Nintendo DS not long ago - and this was one of the games I got him for it.

Unlike most nostalgic feelings - this has been a real treat to revisit this part of my childhood. My son was playing it, and asked me to get him past a certain part. I was immediately hooked and continued playing until I had beat several more levels. Since then I have been grabbing his DS at every opportunity and playing further along - and am about halfway through the game so far.

It is classic Mario - if you ever played any of the original games you'll know the score - however new music, some new moves (downward slams, wall jumping, etc.) as well as delightful moments such as getting the super big mushroom which makes Mario as tall as the screen - while you laugh like crazy and burst through everything - walls, blocks, enemies, etc. like King Kong on crack add a whole new depth to the game - and keep the 80's classic fresh in its newest form. If you grew up on the old games like I did - you will squeal with delight when you see a new enemy that was only in a select level or two from one of the older games - that brings the memories back fresh.

I am extremely pleased at how such a classic character can be brought back in a fresh new way - and invigorate this franchise which is still going strong after two, nearly three decades.

I had absolutely no interest in the Nintendo DS and only bought my son one because he had been really good this year. Now that I've tried out this game - I find myself browsing through Amazon for new DS games to try.

I wholeheartedly recommend this game for the DS... although I will warn you that you will find yourself wanting to feed your new addiction with more games for the system.
16 people found this helpful
|11 comment|Report abuse
on November 2, 2016
Just as frustrating and hard as original lol good game
5 people found this helpful
on April 16, 2014
I've always been a fan of the original SMB for the NES & arcade. Who hasn't or isn't? The graphics are amazing,
very colorful. The music is classic SMB done right. The play controls are tight and precise. There are numerous
secrets to be found and the replayability is very high. There are some gamers who say the game is too easy.
There are some areas that are, but the difficulty is just right in my opinion. The fun factor is out of this world, I
won't reveal anything here, you have to play this game and experience it for yourself.
Very highly recommended for SMB fanatics everywhere.
4 people found this helpful
|11 comment|Report abuse
on February 2, 2017
One of the best portable Mario games ever created in my opinion, the game is challenging, frustrating and genuinely exciting at times. The controls are more tighter and responsive than they have ever been, and I think this game is superior to New SMB 2, which was a bit too easy.
2 people found this helpful
on January 22, 2010
New Super Mario Brothers DS

Mini games are kind of fun, they rely on different skill sets, one even uses the microphone.
The overall game itself is a combination of elements from Mario Bros 1-3, Super Mario World, and Mario 64. The stylus isn't used much for the normal game, but the controls are easy enough. You basically have the same controls as Mario Bros 1. The most frustrating part of the game is the save system. Granted, most of the levels are very easy and short. But many people have normal lives outside of games, so we tend to rely on frequent saves. In New Super Mario Bros, you can only save after major milestones or after you beat certain areas of the map (castles are one example). The graphics and sound are top notch, typical of all Super Mario games. Again, there are elements of all the previous Mario games in the DS version. Some of the sounds and moves are directly from Mario 3 and Mario World, while the audio sound bytes reminded me of Mario 64.

There's no Yoshi or any way to fly/float/glide. These are major drawbacks to the game.

Overall, the game gets 4/5 stars.

Pros: Mario fans rejoice, you get a nicely made Mario game for the DS. Easy controls for all ages, lots of familiar elements from previous Mario games. Excellent graphics and sound.

Cons: Frustrating save system, easy levels, short game, no Yoshi, no way to fly.

Overall: 4/5 stars because it is still worth buying for the DS.
on April 24, 2014
This game was a big deal at the time of its release. It was a return to the traditional side-scrolling Mario with new and creative elements to bring everyone's favorite Italian plumber into the modern age. Unfortunately, I picked the game up many years after the fact. In light of games like Mario 3D Land and 3D World, this game feels a little stale. It's still enjoyable, as all Mario games are, but feels more nostalgic than anything else. It's also a rather short game, so keep that in mind if you're a gamer looking for a long playtime. I would definitely recommend for DS or 3DS owners who haven't played it, but there are many better Mario games out there at this point.
on March 16, 2018
A must have if you love Mario!! Tons of hours played on this game! Package also made it to my home rather quickly!
on July 7, 2016
A little different than the original Super Mario Brothers games I was use to playing, but I suppose that's why they named it NEW Super Mario Bros.
It's a great game with great graphics and fun for everyone! I orig. purchased this new in 2006 and am still playing it time to time 10 years later. That's gotta say something!
on October 22, 2014
This is a well made game. It's not as good as Super Mario 3 on the original NES, but it plays kind of similarly I'm not really used to hand-held gaming, but I suppose I'll get used to it. The game only offers two different button configurations, and neither of them is the one I would prefer. Me, I have a little trouble with the game because I only get to play pretty rarely, but it is fun and most players will have a good time I think. It is far superior to some other games for the ds/3ds because of its gameplay mechanics and whatnot. Other side-scrollers should strive for this level of playability.
|0Comment|Report abuse
This game is primarily played by my 6 year old. He enjoys it and finds it challenging but fun. You have to help Mario rescue the princess from the evil turtle, Bowser. He's never made it all the way through the game yet, but he may be a bit younger than the age group Nintendo was aiming for. Give him time! He said he did kill Bowser once, and for that he is quite proud, but he came back to life.
|0Comment|Report abuse

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.