Your Garage Luxury Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Samsung S8 Launch Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Mother's Day Gifts hgg17 Book House Cleaning animestrike animestrike animestrike  Introducing Echo Look Starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis Nintendo Switch National Bike Month on Amazon disgotg_gno_17

Showing 1-10 of 622 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 738 reviews
on January 20, 2014
Note: This is actually my first written game review ever so it might not be the best. But, overtime I should get better with the help of you guys.

Before I get into this review, I will first like to point out that despite the name of the game, it is actually not the second one in the series. Let me explain: This is actually a direct sequel to New Super Mario Bros., released in 2006 for the Nintendo DS and is the third New Super Mario Bros. side-scroller, the second one being New Super Mario Bros. Wii, which came out on the wii. Hope that clears things up, now on to the review!

This game marked my second main Mario game for the 3ds, the first being Super Mario 3d land. I wonder if this game could live up to 3d land and while it didn't, that does not mean I did not have a blast paying this game.

Presentation:
The story is a epic one. Its is about...well, I think we all know how the story goes so lets just skip right to the other things like unlike pervious Mario games, this has a heavier emphasis on coin-collecting than other Super Mario games, with multiple unique items dedicated to producing large amounts of coins. Anyway, from going from 3d to 2d, this game does not disappoint in terms of graphics. Sure, the 3d effect really does not do much to this game since it is 2d, and it doesn't even need the 3d to be able to play this game (unlike 3d land), but it does not take away from how beautiful this game is. All of the colors pop and just overall look amazing. This game has three game modes: Single, co-op, and coin rush mode. Coin Rush focuses exclusively on quickly completing a series of stages while collecting as many coins as possible. Thanks to the Nintendo Network, you can download dlc packs to expand your coin hunt. An interesting thing to point out is that New Super Mario Bros. 2 is not only the first Mario game to have dlc, but also the first Nintendo game overall to feature true downloadable content. Their are 10 dlc packs you can buy.

Gameplay:
New Super Mario Bros. 2 continues the style of gameplay from New Super Mario Bros, so if you played those game, you already know what you are getting yourself into. Eight worlds, beat Brower at the end. But, with added power ups that will help you collect more coins, like gold Mario which will allow you throw a gold fire ball and what ever it touches will turn into coins (by the way, I will like to point that besides beating the main game, you also have the goal to collect 1,000,000 coins, something that I did not even do yet). In co-op mode (which you have to have another copy of the game and another 3ds, your friend gets to play as Luigi and you get to go through the main game again, but this time, it is with a partner. I would of like it better if this co-op was online, but besides that, it does not take away from the game.

Overall:
The most disappointing aspect of New Super Mario Bros. 2 is that it’s remarkably easy, and doesn’t really elevate the series past what New Super Mario Bros. Wii managed to do. That is really my only complaint. If you haven't played a Mario game before (if that is the case, I wonder what you have been doing with your life lol), then this should be a good start and should put up a challenge. But for you veterans out their, even though it is easy, you still have to but this game because it is a lot of fun. Overall, this is a must buy and a great addition to your 3ds collection.
on September 2, 2013
I've seen so many reviews complaining about the repetitiveness of the Super Mario Bros. titles. My argument is, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Also, every SMB sequel is somebody's first.

My daughter's for instance.

My daughter got a 3DS and a couple of games for her birthday. We may have just as well super glued the SMB2 cartridge in place in the 3DS, because it has yet to come out. She...loves...it! (Let me interject right here--we only give her one hour a day of game time...and that has to be earned!) Practically every day for the last 2 months, she has played this game. She draws pictures of the characters and runs around trying to sound like Mario all day long.

I've played it a little bit, when she needs help getting through a course. For all the new power-ups, enemies and snazzy graphics, it feels and plays just like the old Super Mario Bros. on the NES from my childhood. What a cool way to connect with my kid.

You're not going to get a lot of bang for your buck if you're looking for games that really utilize the 3D technology. But if you want some good old fashioned, side-scrolling Mario action, or you want to introduce a kid to the Mushroom Kingdom, I give this game my highest recommendation.

Whatever that's worth.
on June 3, 2015
I have loved the New Super Mario Bros games for both the Wii and the 3DS.

This one was particularly special to me because it is one of the few true multiplayer games. My girlfriend and I played through the entire game together on separate 3DS consoles and it was very fun.

One *very* important note and downside about the multiplayer: both people need to own their own copy of the game to play multiplayer. You cannot have only one copy and share it with both consoles. Both people need to own the game to play multiplayer.

Another slightly annoying thing is that your partner can go off the screen and won't necessarily bubble back like in the Wii version, but this is a pretty minor gripe compared to how much fun the gameplay is.

The world is quite beautiful and the levels are challenging. If you are a fan of the New Super Mario Bros. franchise this game will not disappoint you.
on December 20, 2012
Many previous Super Mario games had a simple premise: Find Princess Peach and rescue her. Along the way, you collected power ups and stomped your way to Bowser. In this installment of the Super Mario Bros. franchise, there is more than just the standard Mario game. This game has... COINS! Lots and lots of coins! The game keeps a running count of all the coins you have collected throughout the game and even boasts a "Coin Rush" mode where you can challenge yourself to speed run through 3 levels and collect as many coins as you possibly can with only 1 life! With limited time and powerups, the Coin Rush mode is definitely where the challenge is in the New Super Mario Bros. 2. And with the addition of courses available as DLC, you can continue to play the game well after you have rescued Princess Peach and have defeated Bowser. Because the coin rush mode is so addicting, you will continuously try to score more coins and rise in the leader boards. The coin rush mode definitely adds a new twist to the Super Mario franchise and adds to the replay value of the New Super Mario Bros 2 game. A must buy for all Super Mario fans of all ages!
on December 23, 2012
You can't except much from the mario game that the mario thing existed sense 1985. Still overall fun too play with, the leaf as everybody knows is from mario 3(NES) but it appears on this recent game as well.

Still its a great game, I'm not soo good at telling about reviews but what the hell. And the game isnt as much challaging as the old mario wii game because after you get killed so many times the white leaf appears and allows you too walk pass the level.

If you want *NEW LEVELS* and sick of same old super mario wii levels then I surggeest you purpose the game from amaZoN, I seen on youtube, super mario bros frustation, look like the classic game but the levels are some how hacked an who ever hacked the game can make they own levels.

All the game looks like is a hacked mario bros wii game with new courses and extra items.

Super mario bros. the lost levels look like the original mario game except wind and poison mushroom, new courses, that includes world 9, A, B, C and world D.
on May 27, 2013
I'm much more a fan of the 2D side-scrolling Mario titles than I am the 3D free roam-esque titles akin to Super Mario 64. I remember buying my old Wii to try Super Mario Galaxy 2 and simply...shut the game off after a few hours. I felt like the game was lacking something, but it had everything. Then I bought New Super Mario Bros. Wii and fell in love. THAT was the Mario experience I'd been looking for! I hold Super Mario 64 in its own regard for the 3D titles, but all of the other ones afterward haven't been to my liking for some reason that I really can't figure out. Maybe I'm just a sucker for the side-scrolling experience that I fell in love with back in '92.

This game is fantastic. It doesn't earn five stars specifically because, like most reviewers have stated, it doesn't do enough to add anything to the series. It feels more of an expansion-port of New Super Mario Bros. Wii than a standalone sequel, but that's more than alright because of how well designed the levels are. It amazes me that after all these years Nintendo developers can still come up with brilliant levels that all result in a fun way to reach the top of the famous flagpole. I do enjoy the aspect of "coin greed" they seem to have implemented with this package, but more for a fun little gimmick than a real game play element. This game is nothing but fun. That's why I bought it over Super Mario 3D Land (though will have to try the latter). When I think of Mario, I think of the first game I ever beat in my entire life; Super Mario World. I think of side-scrolling action with unique, fun ways to get out of the traps laid masterfully laid before you in each title.

Though this game doesn't add very much 'newness' to the New Super Mario Bros. series, it's still a fantastic title. I like that I can play this game in short spurts. I typically play a few levels in a row, quick save, then fold my 3DS until I play again. It's very quick, accessible, and fun. I'm 21 and this game appeals to me much more than these gritty, action-y games coming out for the more adult oriented demographic.
on May 18, 2014
I must be quick to admit that I am not a big fan of the New SMB series. That being said, this iteration has proven to be my favorite so far. I really feel that the New Super Mario Bros. series is best on their portable versions, as their ease and relatively simple gameplay are great for on-the-go gaming. This game is, first and foremost, very fun. Second, the coin collecting mechanic makes more very interesting gameplay. Third, the fact that this game has DLC, extends the life of the title (in short, the main game 100% takes only around 15 hours). I would have given this game a four, as I feel that this is not really one of the most inventive, or otherwise "freshest" entry in the series, but considering what this game is aiming at (old-school Mario that appeals to all ages), I think it merits a five for being a very fun game.
on May 8, 2015
It's another Mario Bros game. The game is fun and enjoyable just like any other side scrolling Mario game. Easy enough for casual players and there are quite a handful of challenging stages as well.

I got two so me and my wife can play together.
In the beginning it was more of a headache than anything, cause one player controls the screen while the other can get lost out of the screen. Then the screen controller gets shifted to the other player. Once your get use to this (and the feature if one player dies, the other can just stay alive while the dead player respawns... ^_^) the game begins to get fun and more of a co-op. I help my wife pass through those difficult stages.
on July 27, 2015
It was a lot of fun! Pro's Coin collection is better then I thought it would be, There's So many worlds, It's a great game to play with your friend on the go. Cons. In multiplayer the screen only follows one person which is a huge let down the worse con of the whole game, You cant do that mid air jump like you can in the Wii by shaking the remote and the back round looks blurry when you have the 3D I guess it was supposed to be and effect but it's unnatural because when you look at Mario your focus will change and it will blur out anyways so now you cant really look at it but its not a bad con just a small one.
on March 19, 2014
If you're looking for classic Mario/Luigi platforming action, then this game will satisfy your cravings just fine. The formula is a bit tired at this point and the level design isn't particularly inspired, but the action holds up nicely. The addition of the "coins absolutely everywhere" theme is an attempt to add something new, though it didn't really appeal to me...and the goal of "Can you reach a million coins?" is a little absurd...especially considering that dozens of playthroughs would probably be necessary to reach it (I don't know for sure, I only played once) and from what I've heard, the reward is pretty lame. But like I said, all in all, it's fun if you enjoy Mario or platformers in general.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.