Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals HPC Enlightenment Now Red Shoes We Love nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stream your favorites. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Thor: Ragnarok available to buy Thor: Ragnarok available to buy Thor: Ragnarok available to buy  Three new members of the Echo family Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now TG18SW_gno

on September 2, 2013
I've seen so many reviews complaining about the repetitiveness of the Super Mario Bros. titles. My argument is, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Also, every SMB sequel is somebody's first.

My daughter's for instance.

My daughter got a 3DS and a couple of games for her birthday. We may have just as well super glued the SMB2 cartridge in place in the 3DS, because it has yet to come out. She...loves...it! (Let me interject right here--we only give her one hour a day of game time...and that has to be earned!) Practically every day for the last 2 months, she has played this game. She draws pictures of the characters and runs around trying to sound like Mario all day long.

I've played it a little bit, when she needs help getting through a course. For all the new power-ups, enemies and snazzy graphics, it feels and plays just like the old Super Mario Bros. on the NES from my childhood. What a cool way to connect with my kid.

You're not going to get a lot of bang for your buck if you're looking for games that really utilize the 3D technology. But if you want some good old fashioned, side-scrolling Mario action, or you want to introduce a kid to the Mushroom Kingdom, I give this game my highest recommendation.

Whatever that's worth.
on August 8, 2015
My 9 year old's feedback: Good game. Only 4 out of 5 stars because it is kind of like Super Mario Bros WiiU - a little bit repetitive. If you have the WiiU version, this game is exactly the same.
on January 16, 2018
My son is a Mario fan, and this is the only game he plays on the 3DS, but he's already bored with it. It could be just him or the game is a little out dated.
on January 11, 2013
I needed a good platformer to play. I was hoping this would sate my appetite. Sadly, it's not much different from New Super Mario Bros. or New Super Mario Bros. Wii. The game brings back all the same mechanics from the previous versions, including Super Mushrooms and Mini Mushrooms, but made a few changes to the game. They took out Yoshi and added a very familiar item from Mario Bros 3: the Raccoon Feather! They also added a few new items: the White Raccoon Feather, the Gold Mushroom, and the Gold Flower.

First, the main emphasis of the game (as if the cover art wasn't clear enough already): gold coins. The gold mushroom just gives tons of gold coins, and the gold flower just turns everything into gold coins, including enemies and blocks. The game keeps a running total of how many gold coins you've collected, and the idea is to try to reach 1,000,000. The problem is, unless you go out of your way to get them, you'll probably get about 50,000 by the time you complete everything else there is to complete in the game. Which brings me to a new mode they introduce: Coin Rush!

In Coin Rush, you start with 100 seconds, and they pick 3 random levels, fill it with coins, give you a gold flower, and have you try to get as many coins as you can. Whatever you collect is added to your running total. This is the ideal way to reach your 1,000,000 total since single games can get you 5000 or 10,000 or even more if you're really good at it. My guess is the 1,000,000 coin collecting is Nintendo's way of trying to add content to the game without actually adding content to the game. Those interested in what the reward is can look it up on their own, but I can guarantee disappointment.

Oh yes! White Raccoon Mario. If you happen to fail a level a dozen or so times, you'll notice a nice block appear next to you at the start of the level or the midway point. This feather will turn you into White Raccoon Mario. It basically allows you to fly with a very, VERY, short running start, makes you invincible to any attack until you reach the goal post (minus lava, bottomless pit, etc), and allows you to defeat any enemy simply by touching them. The catch? When you finish the level, the circle will remain red colored, rather than changing to the "completed" blue color. I can't say for sure if it'll prevent you from getting the star on your profile for completing all levels, since mine are all blue, but that's just something to keep in mind. One tactic I used on the more difficult and frustrating levels was to use White Raccoon Mario to collect the Star/Lunar coins, complete the level, then replay the level without the feather to change the tile to the completed color.

Oh right! You can play co-op! I haven't gotten a chance to see if this can be done with one cartridge or if two are needed, but I will update my review as soon as I get a chance to.

All in all, I had a blast playing the game. It kept me busy for quite a while. The game isn't very challenging, though, and there isn't much replay value once you collect everything. The game virtually hasn't changed from the other games of similar name, so if you're expecting something new, you're going to be disappointed. If you're looking for a relaxing platformer, this is a pretty good choice. More hardcore players might opt for something like Rayman Origins instead.
on May 18, 2014
I must be quick to admit that I am not a big fan of the New SMB series. That being said, this iteration has proven to be my favorite so far. I really feel that the New Super Mario Bros. series is best on their portable versions, as their ease and relatively simple gameplay are great for on-the-go gaming. This game is, first and foremost, very fun. Second, the coin collecting mechanic makes more very interesting gameplay. Third, the fact that this game has DLC, extends the life of the title (in short, the main game 100% takes only around 15 hours). I would have given this game a four, as I feel that this is not really one of the most inventive, or otherwise "freshest" entry in the series, but considering what this game is aiming at (old-school Mario that appeals to all ages), I think it merits a five for being a very fun game.
on May 27, 2013
I'm much more a fan of the 2D side-scrolling Mario titles than I am the 3D free roam-esque titles akin to Super Mario 64. I remember buying my old Wii to try Super Mario Galaxy 2 and simply...shut the game off after a few hours. I felt like the game was lacking something, but it had everything. Then I bought New Super Mario Bros. Wii and fell in love. THAT was the Mario experience I'd been looking for! I hold Super Mario 64 in its own regard for the 3D titles, but all of the other ones afterward haven't been to my liking for some reason that I really can't figure out. Maybe I'm just a sucker for the side-scrolling experience that I fell in love with back in '92.

This game is fantastic. It doesn't earn five stars specifically because, like most reviewers have stated, it doesn't do enough to add anything to the series. It feels more of an expansion-port of New Super Mario Bros. Wii than a standalone sequel, but that's more than alright because of how well designed the levels are. It amazes me that after all these years Nintendo developers can still come up with brilliant levels that all result in a fun way to reach the top of the famous flagpole. I do enjoy the aspect of "coin greed" they seem to have implemented with this package, but more for a fun little gimmick than a real game play element. This game is nothing but fun. That's why I bought it over Super Mario 3D Land (though will have to try the latter). When I think of Mario, I think of the first game I ever beat in my entire life; Super Mario World. I think of side-scrolling action with unique, fun ways to get out of the traps laid masterfully laid before you in each title.

Though this game doesn't add very much 'newness' to the New Super Mario Bros. series, it's still a fantastic title. I like that I can play this game in short spurts. I typically play a few levels in a row, quick save, then fold my 3DS until I play again. It's very quick, accessible, and fun. I'm 21 and this game appeals to me much more than these gritty, action-y games coming out for the more adult oriented demographic.
on January 20, 2017
Nice game. The kid is enjoying it very much. He just turned six. His mother is an old-time Mario Bros. fan and she loves it, too.
on March 25, 2013
After having to live up to the previous galaxy, 3d land, and new super mario bros wii this game had a lot to live up to. The ones i mentioned were probably the best mario games ever since mario 64 and the originals on the nes. However this one was a bit of a step backwards. My main complaint is that the game *is* pretty much nsbw but on a handheld. The game uses the same music with more Wahs and even though the games graphics are a bit sharper its still pretty much the same. The levels however while simular to the nsbw are diffrent. With all that being said even though its a bit of a step backwards it isnt a huge step backwards as there is still lots of fun and even though its more forgiving then past mario games there is still a few challenging moments as the levels themselves are very well designed just like all the other mario games just dont play it thinking this is gonna change the gaming industry. The one thing it does seperate from mario bros wii is the coin system and the game wants you to collect 1,000,000 coins which is very fun but also kinda broken as you will easily have over 200+ lives by the time you do this. Anyway if you like the other mario games i would recomend it as you will enjoy it expecilly if your not very good at them as this would be a great starter game since its easier

pros: its classic styled mario
the raccoon suit makes a return to 2d mario
coin system is more unique and kinda gives it a slow paced sonic gamewith mario feel
cons: recycled content on surface it looks just like the previous game
coin system while unique does kinda break the game with lives
to easy
on February 13, 2018
Hubby has had fun playing this (although it is supposed to be mine, lol)....Will enjoy when I get some time....
on April 8, 2014
This New Mario is more than ever a gold-hungry race. There's not much novelty there, but an almost shoot'em up like approach to patterns and skill in order to reach the goal of 1 million coins. But the game remains easy, it seems like even Nintendo itself doesn't care that much anymore for pushing the boundaries of game design and appearing different.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.