Getting the download link through email is temporarily not available. Please check back later.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
New Traditional Architecture: Ferguson & Shamamian Architects: City and Country Residences Hardcover – March 22, 2011
The Amazon Book Review
Author interviews, book reviews, editors picks, and more. Read it now
Frequently Bought Together
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
“I’m thrilled to say that many of their designs are now beautifully presented for the enjoyment of all in the soon to be released Rizzoli book, New Traditional Architecture Ferguson & Shamamian Architects.” ~whatisjameswearing.com
About the Author
Top Customer Reviews
The format is over-sized.
The architects are obviously adept, highly talented, and bring new life to an ancient language of tradition.
All to the good.
The book however has other qualities:
1) Each home has its own defined section - and really should be de rigueur for all books on architecture. Such a format brings clarity, and is an immeasurable help in fully understanding each project.
2) The writing really drew me in. The HOW of each project is articulated. As one reads, then glances over to the adjacent images and plans, reads some more, and then more glances, each project gains meaning and depth. Indeed, each project was transformed by understanding WHY they were designed as such.
3) There are occasional BEFORE images which really help appreciate the wonder of what the architects created. I would like to see this more often in such books.
4) Plans! It is amazing how many architectural books do not include plans, or have them so diminutive as to be essentially useless. As other reviewers have noted however, only main floors are shown mostly and this makes it impossible to fully appreciate the projects. Sigh. Some compensation is offered by the inclusion of site plans and detail drawings.
5) A particular delight is my emotional response to the fact that such beauty is still being created in America. A language of tradition was almost snuffed out by the unrelenting fundamentalist juggernaut of Modernism. Make no mistake; I am a great admirer of Modernism but deeply belief that diversity is both vital and good.Read more ›
If residential architecture is an interest of any customer I suggest adding this book to any collection.
New Traditional Architecture: Ferguson & Shamamian Architects: City and Country Residences
This book is full of home exterior and interior finish pictures and that really provides an excellent source to "dream" and create!! Even if you can't afford to do all of it. Most of us can't! I love the imagination and the art of it. When we aren't sourcing this wonderful book for our "creation" ........we can use it as a coffee table book.
No regrets. Architecture and design are truly a form of art and this book definitely tells that story well.
Most Recent Customer Reviews
Beautifully done book with great pictures of beautiful architecture. I really like it, although I'm not "wow'd" the way I thought I would be. Interesting work thoughPublished on October 18, 2013 by sm2k8
This is a great book. It is beautiful and has wonderful photos and details.
If you love houses or are building a traditional home - I would recommend this book as a... Read more
This book is just gorgeous! The architecture is art and Ferguson and Shamamian are the best in the business. I recommend it.Published on January 13, 2013 by Sylverdollar
It looks like a coffee table books but it's really beautiful illustrations and pictures of traditional homes taking a step forward in history. Read morePublished on September 18, 2012 by Dan B.
Mark Ferguson and Oscar Shamamian pretend to be the proponents of classical and traditional architecture. Read morePublished on August 16, 2012 by Brian Scott Mednick
This is a great big, glorious book of seriously beautiful archiecture. I very nearly jumped up and down with joy after just leafing through this book, hefty as it is, and... Read morePublished on June 30, 2012 by Jerry B