- Series: Sunset Western Garden Book (Paper)
- Flexibound: 768 pages
- Publisher: Sunset; 9 edition (February 7, 2012)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 0376039205
- ISBN-13: 978-0376039200
- Product Dimensions: 8.5 x 1.1 x 11 inches
- Shipping Weight: 3.7 pounds (View shipping rates and policies)
- Average Customer Review: 418 customer reviews
- Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #6,839 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
The New Western Garden Book: The Ultimate Gardening Guide (Sunset Western Garden Book (Paper)) 9th Edition
Use the Amazon App to scan ISBNs and compare prices.
"Rebound" by Kwame Alexander
Don't miss best-selling author Kwame Alexander's "Rebound," a new companion novel to his Newbery Award-winner, "The Crossover,"" illustrated with striking graphic novel panels. Pre-order today
Frequently bought together
Customers who bought this item also bought
Customers who viewed this item also viewed
As surely as gardens change with the seasons, gardening is ever changing. New plants, techniques, materials, and lifestyles are constantly broadening the choices you have and reshaping the way you garden in the West. In response to this natural evolution, the editors of Sunset-the West's most trusted source of gardening information for more than 80 years-have completely redesigned and updated The Western Garden Book in this new 2012 Ninth Edition. Following the best-selling success of the previous editions of The Western Garden Book, this edition includes a fresh new look, thousands of color photographs, fresh illustrations, and an easy-to-follow format. Written by experts for gardeners in the West, this book is an indispensable reference for beginning and expert gardeners alike.
The New Western Garden Book features include:
- A photo gallery shows the West's most innovative gardens, from all-edibles front yards to stylish water-wise and fire-wise gardens to living walls and green roofs-all with ideas you can use.
- Climate Zone Maps and growing-season graphs for all regions of the West including Alaska and Hawaii.
- A new "Plant Finder" section helps you choose plants for their garden's problem areas or for special effects.
- "A to Z Plant Encyclopedia" lists some 8,000 plants that thrive in the West, including more than 500 new ones. Gorgeous color photographs illustrate all plant entries-for the first time ever in The Western Garden Book.
- "Gardening From Start to Finish" is a new visual guide that leads readers through all steps of making a garden, from soil prep through planting, growing and care, with special sections on natives, veggies, grasses and more.
Author interviews, book reviews, editors picks, and more. Read it now
Top customer reviews
There was a problem filtering reviews right now. Please try again later.
In the past it seemed that new editions were published more frequently, which meant the plant names in the book kept up with changes in taxonomic names, and that's a bit less true currently. That said, names don't change that often, and Sunset generally notes both the old and new names. Regardless, I'm sure I'll buy the next edition whenever it's published.
The 5-stars are a given, and I highly recommend this book for anyone interested in plants and/or gardening, especially for the price. I contains an amazing amount of good information!
However I have a beef and hence the four checks rather than five. I'm in Hawaii, specifically H1 and eagerly looked forward to this edition hoping there would be some expansion on the section dealing with Hawaii. Alas, there was even LESS included than in the last edition. Go to the local Home Depot and you'll find many plants not included in the book. The stores are all located in zone H1 and info re their suitability to survive in zone H2 where I live is sorely lacking.
So we here in Hawaii are a small group with a myriad of unique plants unheard of in other western states. I think devoting a page or two more would go a long way in addressing our needs here. Another solution would be a separate book like others Sunset offers for specific situations like Easy-Care Plantings, Western Landscaping, Problem Solver, etc.
depth information on the internet, though. I think every gardener should have one if they live on the west coast.
I just bought a house in a totally different zone than I'm accustomed to, so needed this book to find out how to care for my new landscaping. I have had different versions of this book over the past 20 years, and this is my favorite. The pictures are clear, the drawings are clear, and they have even more common sense tips for people like me, who struggle to care for plants properly.
I have crepe mertles in my yard, and this book explained exactly why we were seeing yellowing of the edges of leaves. This is SO helpful! I can now treat the plants accordingly (potassium deficiency) without worry. It told me how to prune them (different than most trees/shrubs) and gave common sense information about traditional pruning of our other new trees and plants.
I actually got better information from this book than I did the local nursery's specialists. That says a LOT.