Industrial Deals HPC Best Books of the Month Casual Friday Style nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stream your favorites. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. GNO for Samsung S9 Prime exclusive: $24.99 for a limited time Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home and Garden Save $20 on a Deep Cleaning Appointment marchmadness marchmadness marchmadness  Echo Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop now TG18PP_gno

on March 22, 2014
This product is identical to those one can buy generically for Win PC's, only with instructions for installing in Mac Pro (a) 2008 and earlier, or (b) 2009+. As noted by several others, the instructions are very poor. The photos were more helpful. Using them, I was able to determine the motherboard on my Early 2009 model Mac Pro does NOT match the Newer instruction photos for either old or new versions of the generation 1 Mac Pro. I have the single CPU model. I spent an additional hour Googling various videos and pdf's on the topic. Most are equally glib and breezy, but some warn this is not for the faint of heart.

I used to build my own Win PCs, but I'm NOT willing to completely disembowel my Mac Pro just on the off chance there are really 2 spare Sata ports hidden somewhere else on the Mobo. If there are, they are NOT located in the upper left corner where the photos say they are. I suspect all photos were taken on older motherboards.

My solution was to order the $262 Sonnet Technologies PCIE card, from Amazon. It provides 4 external eSata ports in one slot.
on April 15, 2012
Granted, Apple should never have made it this difficult. eSATA should be on every Mac Pro dating back to the original. FireWire and maybe someday Thunderbolt are no excuses. This is stuff every PC over a grand has... and Apple shuns it for no good reason.

That all said, Newer Technology did a terrible job, on multiple levels. First, the documentation is terrible at the most key points. I had to fall back to the Mac Pro RAID Card install guide, which I wish I had seen before starting this. This install removes basically everything short of the processors... and had I known that, I would have waited until I got the CPU upgrades that are on my wish list.

Removing the fan assembly is terrible with the guide they provided. The RAID Card guide Apple has online gives the key steps to make it work. Even then, this is stuff that is designed for people on-the-clock to do. I had to hammer back in fan assemblies on the rear that popped out, for no apparent reason.

It took over four hours. Mind you, I am a 20 year Apple veteran, and former engineer... I've taken this stuff apart and put it back together blindfolded (no, really!), and tackled the worst of the worst... including the 12-inch PowerBook G4 and Bondi Blue iMac. This was the third worst upgrade I've ever attempted.

Nothing is more heart-in-your-throat than when a memory riser won't reinsert into your $3,000+ machine, and you followed the instructions exactly... only to find a fan warped itself during the install.

Don't waste your time unless someone is paying you to do this. It isn't worth it. Get a 2.5-to-3.5 inch drive converter and use one of the four HDD bays. Even if you have to take an external SATA drive apart 20 times, trust me, it's not worth the effort.

A much better product formulation would have been to sacrifice one of the HDD drive bays, which are easily accessible, and use a port replicator. Minor loss in performance (which you can configure your way around in software), and would work infinitely better in safely installing.

And, while Newer Tech's hardware is not terrible, it's not great either. The cable length is only ideal for the top slot... which is not going to work for many that need an 8x PCIe card in that slot.

Never, again.
22 comments| 4 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on January 10, 2013
Now, the product seems to be fine, however, I have it installed on my early '09 mac pro and am using the esata connection to connect a hdd dock. The dock sometimes works on the esata, sometimes doesn't. Not sure if it is the connection, adapter, dock, or hdd that are causing it to not work about 50% of the time...thus minus 1 star.
on October 23, 2015
Works but no one tells you have to give up one or both optical drives to use it. Should have got an esata PCI card instead.
on June 23, 2015
Works perfect!
on July 2, 2013
Even though this product state its compatible with mac towers. Be aware the newer Mac Such mine does not have a sata connector on mother board. Never got to used this unit.

They should explain this is only good for older Mac towers.
on September 14, 2012
The instructions that come with the adapter is very well done. I had no problems quickly pulling apart the various pieces of the Mac Pro and wiring it up. Good solid construction, perfect fit, and it works like a charm.
on November 19, 2014
This kit actually fits the mac ! Other PC oriented kits have shorter cables and will not work in the Mac as the location of the SATA ports on the motherboard are positioned too far away from the back so kits for the PC will not work. This one fits and works like a charm!
on April 5, 2014
Very good to me!
That is what I want it. It is works well to me. Easy to installed and works.
on January 16, 2014
Plug-N-Play Simple... it literally is.. Best advice for installation of this is to do a Google or YouTube search as to how to install this. The instructions that come with it are decent.. but nothing explains installation like pictures or a video. That said installation takes little more than a screwdriver and a few minutes to install.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.