- Paperback: 176 pages
- Publisher: Princeton Architectural Press; 3rd edition (October 1, 1997)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 1878271687
- ISBN-13: 978-1878271686
- Product Dimensions: 8.5 x 0.5 x 10 inches
- Shipping Weight: 1.1 pounds
- Average Customer Review: 4 customer reviews
- Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #560,060 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
The Next American Metropolis: Ecology, Community, and the American Dream 3rd Edition
Use the Amazon App to scan ISBNs and compare prices.
The Amazon Book Review
Author interviews, book reviews, editors picks, and more. Read it now
Customers who bought this item also bought
What other items do customers buy after viewing this item?
One of the foremost practitioners of New Urbanism, Peter Calthorpe, an urban designer and architect based in Berkeley, California, offers one of the most coherent and persuasive arguments for moving the United States away from sprawl and toward more compact, mixed-use, economically diverse, and ecologically sound communities. This book presents 24 of Calthorpe's regional urban plans, in which towns are organized so that residents can be less dependent upon their cars and can walk, bike, or take public transportation between work, school, home, and shopping. This book is not just for architects and urban planners, but for all concerned citizens interested in developing a cohesive, feasible vision of the sustainable city of the future.
Advocates a fundamental change in patterns of building to respond to the growth crisis in US metropolitan regions. Defines a new direction, and provides guidelines--not an architectural manifesto or utopian proposal, but the alternatives currently shaping debate regarding housing, traffic, and environmental and social problems. Describes numerous real projects from various regions. Abundantly illustrated. Book News
Top customer reviews
Such a design is still auto-centric if it makes automobile use the quickest and easiest way to shop at [a physical store] versus providing a pedestrian environment to walk 2 blocks to shop at a Mom & Pop store. Pedestrian environments with local grocery/pharmacy, schools, offices, day-care, sports fields, and other weekly needs are going to be able to eliminate 90% of automotive travel requirements. The other 10% can be easily provided through carsharing, a fast growing market in 21 North American cities now. Parking structures on the periphery of the district provides parking for carsharing and private automobiles (though the latter is retained by a modest percentage of households).
A book that envisions the progression of cities to pedestrian/transit use is Carfree Cities, by J.H. Crawford. There are also many websites that describe the many carfree areas already in place in Europe and Asia, whose residents require very little in the way of imported oil.