Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: The Next Ex (Madeline Carter Book 3)
Amazon Vehicles Fall Reading 2016 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer conj2 conj2 conj2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Kiss Rocks Vegas Water Sports

on June 15, 2006
I don't know anymore what I was expecting when I read THE NEXT EX, but this book wasn't it. The book just works on so many levels. First, it's a mystery and the plot is twisty but it satisfies in the end. There is a financial component to the book and I enjoyed reading about day trading and the stock market. It was also interesting reading about how movie stars really live. I know it's fiction, but it's obvious that Richards knows what she's writing about and some of this stuff was pretty scary.

The story opens on the dead wife of a Hollywood producer who ex-stockbroker Madeline Carter stumbles across at a party. Madeline already knew Keesia and had gotten to be friends with her so she's very sad that the other woman is dead and when Madeline is drawn into finding out how Keesia died, the reader understands.

But Madeline keeps finding more dead wives and ex-wives of this same producer and, along the way, discovers another mystery more than 30 years old.

I loved this book! I didn't want it to end and I can hardly wait for the next book in the Madeline Carter series.
on December 21, 2011
While this book had lots of potential, it failed to live up too it. Too many references to the ex husband that is showcased in book 3. By the end, I realized to late that I had wasted my time reading this train wreck. The third book in the series is equally disappointing. Too bad the author lost her mojo after the first book.
VINE VOICEon December 2, 2005
Former stockbroker Madeline Carter is now a daytrader in Los Angeles. She lives in the guesthouse of movie director Tyler Beckett and his wife, the actress Tasya Saranova. Tyler asks Madeline to tudor the current wife of the famous film producer Maxi Livingston in daytrading. Hollywood thrives on doing favors and cashing in on favors. Favors are, in a way, a currency among the elite social set. Madeline teaches Keesia Livingston the basics on stocks. Maxi agrees to do Tyler's film. Tyler updates and expands Madeline's kitchen and bathroom. See how it works?

Madeline knew almost nothing about the Livingstons until she began teaching Keesia about the market. Surprisingly, Keesia is very smart and picks things up quickly. Madeline and Keesia are on the way to becoming very good friends. But the friendship ends when, during on of Maxi's parties, Madeline comes across Keesia's dead body. This is not all, Keesia was Maxi's FIFTH wife. Shortly thereafter, Maxi's previous wives are being murdered - and Madeline is one of the top suspects.

***** When Madeline finds Keesia's body on page one, the author makes sure that she stabs the hook so quickly into her readers' guts that they never even feel it. The story is told in such a way that I, as the reader, felt able to get into Madeline's head. I could actually see the wheels in her mind working. I could tell what path "Mad" was going down and why. All the clues needed to solve the mystery were available to me, but the author never insulted my intelligence. She even gave me the opportunity to figure it out before the main character did. But will you be able to? Keep your eye on this author. She will go far! *****

Reviewed by Detra Fitch of Huntress Reviews.
on January 17, 2012
It takes the first third of the book to get to any kind of a story....The heroine just ambles through her stay at home job, her past life, dining in, dining out, jogging here, swimming there. To put it mildly, her life is boring. The murder mystery is kind of boring also. Lots of people, lots of facts, a slight almost romance, some tragedies, some work, more dining in, dining out. Some facts fit, some facts don't. The murder is solved eventually somewhat, somewhat not. There is a dog that is and who's life is, much more interesting than our low key protagonist, but alas, the dog vanishes from the tale long before the end. This is a sleeper, literally. It was a freebie so no harm no foul.
on July 10, 2012
THIS is a story of the caliber of (Mad Money, which I previously gave a glowing review). Here we see Madeleine still struggling to adapt to her new home. She is asked to be a financial muse to a young rich woman, who is murdered shortly after they meet. Madeleince is a suspect, until the former wives of this husband start turning up dead. The plotting here is multi-layered and quite intricate, and i take my hat off to Richards for weaving this story together skillfully. She is an outstanding writer, and in Madeleine Carter, has created a character that it easy to like and have empfthy with. I hope Richards has more to say about her in future work. this rates and A+. 5 StarS is just not enough!!
on November 26, 2012
I truly enjoyed this book, although I have to admit I "bought" it when it was on the free list. I liked the book well enough that I did go and buy the previous (Mad Money) and following (Calculated Loss). It was even OK that I read the middle one first, the story can stand on its own. The main character, Madeline, appealed to me I think because she wasn't stupid, even if she maybe did a couple of things that might have been called dumb - but maybe that's how her story moves along? I liked that she is a loyal enough friend to really care what happened to Keesia. The research was well done, the supporting characters also appealing and interesting. The story line was fun and intense, interesting.
on November 24, 2012
This is the third of her books I read, so obviously I read them out of order, but I still enjoyed it very much. The writing and character development seems as if from a much more seasoned author. Fast moving, great story line and I actually felt like I learned about day trading. I really loved the book (and the series).
on December 12, 2012
I couldn't put this book down. I was so surprised as I expected an OK book. I loved Madeline's character. I envy Madeline's wisdom in discovering her joy while still young enough to enjoy it. I like that she's determined and steadfast. I like that she can give in to the disappointments and fears that life bring, yet rebound with a new strength.

I like the twists and turns in the book itself. I'll be looking for more from this author and more of Madeline.

I couldn't put it down. Went to work with only two hours of sleep for a few days.
on October 1, 2013
I thought perhaps the book continued to another part 2 ebook or something. Nope. Very good story and writing then an extremely short ending. That didnt evrn feel like an ending at all...just leaves you hanging without resolution. Very stupid because now I'm hesitant to read any more from this author.
on April 14, 2013
A murder mystery with elements of romance, this was a fun read. Madeleine Carter is likeable, as are the friends and former boss.

It was a shame to kill off a perfectly good boyfriend in a mishap intended to take Madeleine's life.

Thoroughly enjoyable, if highly forgettable.