Next Generation Databases is a book for enterprise architects, database administrators, and developers who need to understand the latest developments in database technologies. It is the book to help you choose the correct database technology at a time when fundamental architectural differences are making what used to be an easy choice into a difficult one that is fraught with risk.
The relational database (RDBMS) model completely dominated database technology for over 20 years. Today this "one size fits all" stability has been disrupted by a seemingly sudden explosion of new database technologies. These paradigm-busting technologies are driving the "Big Data" and "NoSQL" revolutions, as well as forcing fundamental changes in databases across the board
Deciding to use a relational database once was truly a no-brainer, and the various commercial relational databases competed on price, performance, reliability, and ease of use rather than on fundamental architectures. All that is changed. Now we have fundamental architectural differences that must be considered or projects will fail. Choosing the right database today is a complex undertaking, with serious economic and technological consequences.
Next Generation Databases demystifies today’s new database technologies. The book describes what each technology was designed to solve. It shows how each technology can be used to solve real word application and business problems. Most importantly, this book highlights the architectural differences between technologies that are so very important for you to consider when choosing a database platform for new and upcoming projects.
• Introduces the new technologies that have revolutionized the database landscape
• Describes how each technology can be used to solve specific application or business challenges
• Reviews the most popular new wave databases and how they use these new database technologies
What youll learn
- Understand new technologies disrupting the database landscape and powering applications that are changing our lives.
- Choose the best database technology for the success of your business and projects.
- Position your career to ride the wave of these new database technologies.
- Maximize return on investment from NoSQL and other new-wave technologies.
- Take advantage of next-generation features being incorporated into traditional database products such as Oracle Database and Microsoft SQL Server.
- Accelerate existing database platforms via new hardware capabilities.
Who this book is forNext Generation Databases
is a book for software architects, developers, and database professionals who need to understand the next generation of database technologies. Developers and architects need to understand the characteristics of the new wave of databases systems so that they can choose the one which best suits the needs of their current project. Database professionals who want to survive and thrive in increasingly heterogeneous database landscape will find this book a perfect guide to the new architectures and the problems they are best at solving.