Lyft Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited GNO for iPhone 8 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon MozartintheJungle MozartintheJungle MozartintheJungle  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Shop Now STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 36 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 133 reviews
on April 19, 2016
As always, Michael Lewis reveals views of what has happened that are unique. His ability to find characters no one has ever heard of or new aspects of well known individuals to include in his books is absolutely fascinating. His books read like novels because you cannot believe that he is describing reality. This book was one star down from the 5 other books I have read by Michael Lewis because he, too, admits he had difficulty tying up all the strings to this subject. But it is still a great read.
on July 29, 2017
This is a very good read. A little outdated at this point, but very interesting. It does prove that we as a society do not research what we read on the internet. It is posted on the internet so it has to be true! With the lack of fact checking sources and postings on Facebook, Twitter and other social media information has the tendency to move at ludicrous speeds. The obvious example is the 14 year old giving stock advice. He was making up the information and no one was checking the source.
on August 21, 2017
Michael Lewis has done a great job again. This helps to clarify whats coming by looking where we have been
on March 17, 2014
But like all of his books, it's well worth a read. I am fascinated by Jonathan Lebed's story. Lewis' description of his interviews with the people who tried to bring Lebed "to justice" is simultaneously hilarious and deeply upsetting.
on September 5, 2012
Having read few other books of Mr. Lewis it was more of a compulsion to pick this one up and read it. What really surprised me is the subject matter itself and the timing of writing. People were suddenly running away from technology after the bust and it was no longer fashionable to be in tech when this was written.

Since then lot of things have happened with the help of Internet.

Few dictators fell partially because of its effects, the way new generation thinks of privacy has changed and more of the social effects will become visible with time.

Just amazed at the authors ability to write on a subject matter I did not associate with him. It's truly original investigation and him being a great story teller a good read.
on March 1, 2017
Jon Lebold chapter best I've read. Marcus a close second.
Michael Lewis 'gets' the gist of Freedom and it's most interest ing ramifications.
on January 11, 2002
I admit to being something of an Internet evangelist. From my earliest days in cyberspace, I recognized that the Internet contained the potential to transform the way we communicate and, in so doing, the way we live.
I still think so--although I think the siren song is being muted by the greedy attempts of corpacracy to co-opt the Web for profit.
So when I heard the buzz on Michael Lewis' Next: The Future Just Happened, it was an instant "One-Click"!
What I found was a book that overstates and oversells its thesis, but is still a valuable look at how the Web is beginning to affect our culture in unanticipated ways.
This is not a scholarly effort by any means. It's more of a personal journey that we take with Lewis as he plumbs some of the more spectacular manifestations of what might be called "Web power."
Lewis begins with the kid who made hundreds of thousands of dollars in the stock market until the SEC shut him down, continues to another teen who--despite the lack of any training whatsoever--was among the top dispensers of legal advice on the Web, and ultimately ends up with a tale of a washed-up band resurrecting itself by cobbling together a fan network that finances its tours and new releases.
It's a very pleasant--and quick--read. And as we enjoy the antics of these characters at the fringe of society, we begin to discern Lewis' contention: The Web is breaking down the monopoly of the "Insiders," the credentialed, the oligarchy. Due to its vast information resources--and its even wider global and trans-cultural reach--the Web makes it possible for the little fish to make a big splash in the sea. Lewis' tales are not only amusing, but they provide insight into a world that has not yet emerged.
Lewis fails, however, to demonstrate that these admitted "Outsiders" are more than an odd aberration. As much as I'd love to see the cold walls of corporate bureaucracy fall, I remained unconvinced that Lewis' heroes are the harbingers of the future.
I'd like to think they were; I even hope so! Only time will tell!
on September 12, 2001
It was a sheer pleasure to read this book. It took me just hours to read it and I enjoyed every bit of it. It is very chic analysis of the current change in the world economy. Lewis starts with a quotation saying that all revolutions happened by outsiders conquering inside alliances after which inside alliances broke and new forms of alliances emerged. He then moves to show how this is happening, mainly in America, and how is a new revolution being shaped. His cases are very odd case studies which you would normally not find in a typical American business book. These days it is almost a sin to write a business book without referring to Amazon.com, Microsoft, Yahoo, Charles Schwab, Starbucks etc. In the "Next", you will find none of these. But then it is how lewis chose his cases makes this book a uniquely wonderful one especially when you consider the way he works out a synthesis about the world economy (and society) on the basis of those very odd cases. Simply wonderful. He has such a powerful argument and supoorts that argument not with 5000 cases, but with a handful, whereby the argument becomes so convincing and plausible. Also, very interesting. The style of writing is also admirable. So smooth and folding out that you hardly want to even give a break. I simply appreciate his work. Many thanks to Lewis for making serious reading such fun and thought-provoking.
on August 6, 2001
I thoroughly enjoyed "The New, New Thing", both for the humor and the detail provided about Jim Clark and his ambitions. As a profile of one man, the book was excellent.
"Next", however, is a profile of a few people that is somehow meant to extrapolate to the population as a whole. Although the stories are interesting and to some extent thought-provoking, they are not given in a larger context. For example, the 14-year-old New Jersey whiz kid is amazing, but how many other 14-year-olds live in New Jersey and do the same things? How about in the nation as a whole?
Toward the end of the book, Lewis makes a note that the stories presented are part of a larger group in his research, but he doesn't say how many, or how representative they are. It's hard to tell if this is sensationalism or serious journalism. The line between his opinions and what is fact is often blurred as well. When he comments on the best and brightest minds in the computer industry, then proceeds to skewer them (often hilariously) for their hubris and/or ideals, there is no way of knowing if this is just his opinion, or supported by one or more similarly technical people.
In general, I found this book very entertaining, and as entertainment I give it four stars. As a serious piece of work, it's probably a 3 or so. I work in the computer industry, I'm either familar with or intimately involved in much of the technology he discusses, and I think many of his points come across much more as conjecture than any researched fact. If he had provided more cross-references, or even named more of his sources, I would consider this a much more professional work.
There's a certain irony to a man who will write an entire book about how the internet is changing the way people live, then fail to include any way of contacting him electronically. That's obviously not his responsibility, but I did notice the omission.
on September 19, 2012
While I might have been a bit late discovering Next, it was actually interesting to read the book with the benefit of that type of hindsight. Lewis is, as with his other books, focused on telling the stories of interesting folks indicative of larger trends. I was particularly intrigued by the example of English prog rock band Marillion and how it obviated the need for a record contract and company.

My only regret: that it took me so long to find out about this book.