Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Tailgating PSFF17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 5,542 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 6,538 reviews
on July 26, 2013
**REVIEW UPDATED ON 7/30/13 - Updated speakers, "other features", battery life, gripes**

For anyone on the fence, and especially for those frustrated by the performance slowdown issues with the original Nexus 7 tablet, don't let that scare you off from buying the second generation model.

Google made all of the right improvements to the product, and the result is a significantly improved product for a marginally higher cost. Only time will tell if this unit suffers the same performance fate as the original model (for those not familiar, over time, the first generation tablets tended to quickly slow down and struggle to perform even basic tasks like browsing the internet). However, Android 4.3 feels ultra-smooth so far, and I am hoping that Google and Asus learned from their original mistakes.

SCREEN: The new screen is absolutely stunning. Some people argue that the resolution of 323 pixels per inch is unnecessary, but you can really see the difference when you use it in person. Text is significantly sharper and a little easier on the eye to read. Using the tablet to watch videos and see pictures produces a stunning result.

PROCESSOR: This is the #1 reason I'd recommend this new, upgraded Nexus 7 over the older version. The speed upgrade is unquestionably immense, and to those who have used the older and newest model Nexus 7, you will notice and appreciate this immediately. Apps load instantly; the internet browsing experience is smooth and a very welcome upgrade over past performance. It's strange; a few days ago I was satisfied with the decent albeit declining performance of my 1st Gen Nexus 7. Now that I have this new one, I use them both side by side and the older model feels like a dinosaur. This alone is reason enough to upgrade.

SIZE/WEIGHT: The reduced thickness and weight of the tablet is very noticeable. I often times used my old Nexus 7 tablet while sitting in bed, to check email and browse the web prior to going to sleep. Holding the old Nexus in one hand, and the new one in the other, the differences in size and weight are VERY noticeable. No doubt will provide a more comfortable long term usage experience, especially for extended sessions while on flights or the subway.

BATTERY LIFE: After a couple days of using this new Nexus 7, I can confidently say that the battery life has been significantly improved over the original model. My previous session of about 2 hours straight of use (screen on, using apps that draw semi-frequent data over wi-fi) drained only 20% of the battery life. If I project this out, it would tell me that I could get 10 hours of constant use on one full charge. I haven't run through an entire charge yet from 100% down to 0% (I've been recharging after each use), but I'll try to get to that sometime this week and report back on my total real-world battery life.

CAMERAS: Google added a rear-facing Camera on this new second gen Nexus. While I typically wouldn't use my tablet as a camera, I have tried it out and it takes excellent pictures. Focuses quickly, the images are sharp and the low light performance, while not great, is better than I would have expected. The front-facing camera gets more use for me (I use my tablets to Skype with family). The new front facing camera is noticeably sharper and better in lower light situations than the original Nexus 7 camera was. In low light, the old model was almost unusable. The 2nd gen Nexus 7 low light performance is very acceptable.

SPEAKERS: I've now spent some time using this second-gen Nexus 7 side by side with my original Nexus 7. Separately, they both sound very acceptable for speakers from small tablets. Using them side by side, the improvements to the Nexus 7 are very noticeable, and the sound is more clear even at high volumes. I'd say that this new model sounds far less "tinny" than the original Nexus did. Personally, I don't use the built-in speakers often (I'm normally either listening with headphones, or using bluetooth audio to my Logitech Boombox). But for people who do use the built-in speakers to play music or watch movies, you will appreciate the improvement in the speakers.

OTHER FEATURES: Last night, I realized that this tablet is compatible with Qi Wireless Charging, a discovery which made me VERY happy. I use a Nexus 4 cell phone, and I keep it on my nightstand on the Google Nexus Charging Orb. I attempted to use the orb with this new Nexus 7 tablet, and it worked perfectly. You have to sit the tablet landscape, with the orb centered on the tablet, and it synced up and began charging instantly.

COMPARISONS: I will update this section shortly with my comparison review between this 2nd Gen Nexus 7, the iPad Mini, and the Kindle Fire HD, as soon as I've had more time to test them all side by side.

GRIPES AND COMPLAINTS: Here, I'll list any gripes that I have about the tablet. My first major gripe is that I am not a huge fan of the texture/material used on the back of the tablet. It's a slightly rubberized feeling coating, which I assume they did to create additional grip. However, I've been finding that after holding with one hand for a few minutes, I notice the tablet starting to slide a little bit in my hand. I think this is a combination of the new texture plus the fact that it's thinner than it used to be. I'm probably going to be purchasing a case for it shortly, which should alleviate this problem, but it is still worth noting. This is just a personal preference things (if you normally hold it landscape w/ two hands, you'll probably prefer this new texture over the old one).

All in all, I am VERY impressed with how much faster this tablet is than my original Nexus 7 tablet. As long as this model doesn't suffer the performance slowdown issue of the original Nexus 7, I don't anticipate moving this away from a 5 star product anytime soon, but only time will tell I guess. I will keep this review updated as I go, and add thoughts on more features once I test them out further (the speakers, longer term battery life tests, performance slowdown, etc). If you have anything else you want me to address, please let me know in the comments section and I will be glad to address it.
5150+ comments| 2,085 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 3, 2015
This is a product review after having this tablet for 16 months. Admittedly, I loved it initially. Very nice screen, fast and smooth performance. The only drawback was a mediocre battery life. I actually purchased it a few weeks after its original release. However, after 16 months (December 2014) when performing the official Android 5 update the tablet could not boot. It froze in the Google logo. Recovery mode, fastboot mode could not make the table work again. So, even though out of warranty (it is 12 months) I sent it to Asus service. They recommended a motherboard change for a total cost of 200$ !!! As everyone may understand this price is unacceptable and close to the original price of the tablet ($269). Hence, my whole experience with this Asus nexus branded tablet is awful as I had high expectations from nexus branded products.
on June 10, 2015
UPDATE: 7/6/2015
After a week or two of my Nexus 7 2013 tablet freezing and rebooting, I did some research about restoring it to kitkat 4.4.4. I first worked on my 2012 model and after some issue using the flashall.bat, I was able to get it restored to 4.4.4. So I then started on my 2013 model. After a whole day of trying to get it to boot using 4.4.4, I was about to give up when I found an article that said there is an issue with certain models recently manufactured and the boot.img which prevents it from being restored to 4.4.4. There is hacked fix for this, but it is not certified, so I did not want to use it. So I went back to the official Google site that has the factory images and noticed there was a brand new 5.1.1. image. I was able to get my 2013 tablet restored to it. Now the strangest thing is so far the 2013 tablet has not reboot or frozen since restored to the new 5.1.1 image. A couple times on a few sites Chrome would start to freeze, but then after a second or two would continue. All that said and reported there still seems to be a very huge issue with Nexus 2013 tablets and Android 5.XX. Just do a search for Nexus 7 2013 bricked and read all of the posts.

The design is great and the features are great, but with Android 5.xx it is useless. The tablet freezes several times a day and reboots even if it is just sitting there with no app active. I ordered this one expecting it would come with Android 4.4, because my 2012 one became useless when upgraded to Android 5.0. This 2013 version came with Android 5.0 and immediately wanted to upgrade to 5.1. I gave it a try and sure enough it started freezing up and rebooting as well. I have tried the clear cache routine several times and also remove any app that is not ready for Android 5.0. One of the apps that freezes more than any is Chrome.

Also had problems with the GPS which I did not have with the 2012 version. I have the Samsung S4 smartphone which now wants to be upgraded to Android 5.0 which is not going to happen if I can help it.
on December 12, 2015
I love my Microsoft products, but almost everyone knows their app selection is lacking. I decided to finally break down and buy an android product to give me the apps I want and need, will supplement of existing devices, and to top it off not break the bank.

ASUS has always been my go-to tablet and netbook company. It's a perfectly functional tablet, it's sturdy and feels like solid technology without being too heavy. The Nexus 7 is a good weight for reading, casual typing, and surfing the web. This review itself was written using the tablet; the digital keyboard is highly responsive, the screen easily viewable.

The camera is not incredible; I would reserve the selfies and "artsy photographer" photos to actual cameras or phones with powerful cameras, and let the Nexus do quick shots as needed. I have yet to test Skype capabilities.

We have 2 Nexus 7s in our household, and one of our tablets had issues installing android updates, but that's almost a norm for android to sometimes have bugs.

Overall I'm highly pleased with this tablet. It has the apps I was missing from my life, it has a good screen for Kindle and OverDrive reading apps, and it's a perfect size to be portable yet functional!
TOP 500 REVIEWERon February 5, 2016
The Nexus 7 is fast and is always updated with the latest version of Android. I have found it to be quite a bit better looking than it looks in the pictures on the product page. I use it a lot for dictation of long documents (using voice recognition) and the battery life of the Nexus 7 holds up during long torturous sessions that go on from morning until midafternoon.

As well, the microphone on this delivers excellent quality recordings and I have not found a need to attach in external mic.

While it is sad that Google has opted to focus on larger tablet sizes, this Nexus 7, while being a two-year old design, subjectively is as powerful and snappy as my iPad Air.

I have mostly Apple devices, i.e. an iPhone 6 and an iPad air. But I decided to get the Nexus 7 because I wanted a workhorse that I could beat up all day long without worrying about wear and tear, as it is less expensive to replace it, as opposed to one of my Apple devices. Not only that, I was able to benefits from the three years worth of apps that I had accumulated when I was an Android person.
on December 2, 2015
My Android phone died after 4 years of use. Instead of buying a new smartphone, I decided to separate the three main functions. My old pocket camera takes nicer pictures than a smart phone. A cheap flip-phone works as well and sounds as good as a smart phone. A tablet has a larger display and gives me access to my calendar and contacts. If there's Wi-Fi, it gives me access to email and the web.

There are two different Nexus 7 tablets. The 2013 model has a much better display with 1920 x 1200 resolution. Google Chrome lets me request a desktop page. The amazing display let me see everything clearly. A Minisuit Bluetooth Keyboard Case for Google Nexus 7 FHD 2nd Gen 2013 (Rubberized Non-Slip Grip) keyboard-stand-case makes it easy to use. It's all in an amazingly small package, easily fitting in my cargo pocket. It's too bad Google stopped making this tablet. Be sure and buy yours before the disappear forever.
on January 21, 2016
my 3rd one...I love these things! I installed one in my 2014 mustang. my other one I use as a normal tablet.
review image
on September 14, 2014
I would like to say I purchased the newest Google Nexus 7 tablet (2014 model) on Feb 16 2014 as a birthday present for my daughter (Her birthday is in March). The product worked for about 3 months. My daughter brought it to me to charge because the battery had fully died. I left it to charge overnight. The tablet never turned back on. All that happened was a blinking white light. I tried using a different nexus charger I borrowed from my niece who also had a Nexus and nothing. I finally went online and found out that several others also had this issue. I tried contacting google and they stated I had to contact Amazon since I purchased it from them. They were NO HELP. Person I spoke to on the phone stated I could return the item but there was no telling what my refund would be. WHAT?!?!? I informed the person that my daughter had really enjoyed the product I just needed an exchange or for them to fix it, being that I had only purchased it a few months prior. She just kept repeating herself that Amazon would return item but no telling what I would get back until they recieved it. I tried speaking to google once again. The person I spoke with at Google also tried blaming me (or my daughter that is) for letting the tablet battery die all the way. He said you should never use the tablet until all the battery is gone. He also stated that if I sent it to their tech people to "fix" the problem it would be close to $200 ((WOW)) might as well buy the same product again (well actually I would never purchase a google product again). Not after this experience. Needless to say I am VERY DISSAPOINTED that Google did not stand by their product and that Amazon could not assist me any further. To this day the tablet is just sitting there with the protective case that I also bought from Amazon to protect the tablet from any damage. ***Those of you thinking about buying this product please research the issue online about the tablet not turing back on once the battery has died completely and the blinking white light.***Silly of me thinking that once you plug in the charger it should ACTUALLY CHARGE the tablet.
on June 17, 2015
I had the 32GB Nexus 7 for just over two years and loved it. When it died (I think the power port is damaged), I bought this 16GB Nexus 7 as a replacement. It is awful. I mean, it's beautiful and slim and light and works just like the old Nexus I had. Except... it freezes and restarts between five and fifty times a day - no warning, no (observable) reason - it just stops.

I've tried everything to get it to stop that. I've reset it to factory settings/etc., I've deleted all apps, I've tried using it with only one app open... and it still freezes and restarts. For anyone who might think I must be using some crazy app that's taking up memory/processing space: the app I have open most often when it freezes is either Google's HangOut or Google's gDocs. For a day or two, I thought maybe interaction with my home wi-fi was the issue, but then this morning it was on my office wi-fi and it froze and restarted.

I've Googled the issue, but Google itself seems to be of no help. The search brings up forums where folks discuss this issue and, like me, they've tried everything (those forums are where I learned how to reset to factory settings, stop it from automatically downloading app upgrades, etc.). The consensus on the forums seems to be that the 16GB version of the Nexus has a hardware issue that causes this. Not every single one of the version - just random individual devices have the problem. I got a dud, it seems.

I'm returning it to Amazon - they've said they'll issue a full refund. So, here's hoping! I'm unsure whether I'm going to risk going with another 32GB Nexus 7 or move on to some other maker's tablet.

This device, though, has just been so disappointing.
on May 9, 2015
I originally got the 1st generation of this tablet as a present back in 2012 as a gift, and loved it. However as newer version came out and new updates were added my old 1st gen outdated tablet had more and more issues. I did some shopping around as well as inquiring of others who I know personally about the tablets they own. The only one that seemed to come close in my opinion was the Kindle Fire and yet my co-worker had SO many issues with his I decided to play it safe and get the newer upgraded version of my Nexus 7. I like the new slightly thinner, yet longer model, though I did have to buy new cases as the older 1st gen cases do not fit on this new model. Some of the functions I did not like on the original they have updated and fixed, such as putting speakers on both ends instead of one in the back, as I felt like my 1st gen model was always too quiet. It is definitely more sleek and less bulky too which is nice. Not only does it do the exact same things that you would be able to do on an IPAD, but it is MUCH cheaper too! I am so glad I did! I love this tablet. And even though I bought mine used I have had no issues with it. As this model eventually becomes outdated I will probably upgrade to the new verson of this same tablet again if I have the chance. I definitely recommend it to anyone!
review image