Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Beauty Little FIres Everywhere STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc New Album by Big & Rich PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Tailgating FFII_gno

Showing 1-10 of 207 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 304 reviews
on June 23, 2014
I'm not really a fan of baseball in general and the Cubs in particular. With two younger brothers and my dad, I was exposed to WAAAYYYY too much baseball as a child. Cubs, White Sox and Yankees. It was enough to drive a girl crazy. As an adult, I have figured out that life already supplies enough disappointment without having to cheer for the Cubs too (It's bad enough that I am a Bears fan). That being said, I LOVED this book. It's a love letter to and about a mythical baseball field and an inept team from a lifelong fan. It's a great history on the Cubs and the field as well. It's written very tongue in cheek in the wry style that is unique to George Will and I giggled out loud throughout the book. Yes, Will makes fun of the Cub's ineptitude (how can you NOT?) but it's clear he is a devoted (deranged?) Cub fan who loves his team and their field. HIGHLY recommend for baseball lovers in general and you Cub fans in particular.
on September 10, 2014
Will is a terrific sports writer. He inserts some side stories that may be interesting to non-sports fans (who may have bought the book because they know his other writings and are not baseball fans), but were a distraction. He certainly knows his Cubbie history but I would have enjoyed reading more about the Cubs of my youth (especially about the last war year with Swish Niicholson, Phil Cavaretta, Stan Hack and Claude Passeau, and especially about Hank Borowy whom the Yankees let go to the Cubs for the waiver price because--we shocked Yankee fans were told--Borowy was sure to have a hay fever attack in the last half of the season that would make him valueless (he was 11-2 with the Cubs); he could have written about the Jack Benny running "Greenberg is on third" joke about that world series. He could have included "You Know Me, Al" references and, most of all, explained the "Merkle curse"--resulting from the Cubs stolen win against the Gi'nts and their consequent last world series victory--that dooms the Cubs to never win another series. My point is that Will has a great book about the Wrigleys and their "park", Ernie Banks, Vaughn/Toney, and all, but I wish he would have spent just a little less time on such as the all important--but marginal here--history of beer in the US in his explanation of how the Cubbies keep the turnstiles turning. A can't miss if you are a baseball fan but--for me--it could have been better.
on August 27, 2017
Love this book. We are CUBS fans!!!
on May 4, 2017
George Will is the perfect voice for this book
on August 14, 2017
A great recounting of the Cub's history. I wish I could hear a lot more of George Wills on every topic these days.
on December 3, 2016
This was a gift for a Cub fan I know. He was very happy to receive it, especially after their amazing season. George Will is a fine writer, so the Cubs story was in good hands with him.
on June 9, 2017
Gift for brother. He loved it.
on April 24, 2015
Very much a thinking persons description of a place that I love to visit (have tickets for a game in July). George Will has given me a much broader,and richer perspective of the"friendly confines", and done so in a very enjoyable fashion. Go Cubbies!
on January 25, 2017
If you are from Chicago and want to learn about Wrigley Field and the Cubs this is the book for you.
on April 6, 2015
Starts out a little slow. Mr. Will can be a little "dry" at times but the book becomes easier to read and it moves along as you get into it.
Good read for the baseball history buff. I am NOT a Cubs fan but still interesting.