Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Nice Try, The Devil (CD+DVD)
Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Songs of Summer Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer TheKicks TheKicks TheKicks  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now

on May 18, 2013
After watching Pete, it feels like I was in a conversation with him. It's almost as if it's not just him making the jokes, but that the audience was part of it the whole time. That makes for a great experience. I saw Pete perform once in Austin, but even his TV specials have the same level of intimacy. Perhaps this isn't surprising, given that the community of fans from his You Made It Weird podcast are also active and engaged.
VINE VOICEon May 20, 2013
He is tied with Jeff Garlin and T.J. Miller for the dubious honor of being the most obnoxious guest on Doug Benson's popular podcast, Doug Loves Movies. On that podcast, he's the kind of unbridled attention hog who sprays jokes out in a machine gun style so brassy that it's ten times funnier than anything he actually says. And he also habitually commits one of my biggest pet peeves for comedians: routinely laughing (long and loudly) at his own material.

Consider these complaints as an underscore to the following: this album is fantastic.

What a relief to find something so accessibly weird and warmly goofy and still legitimately funny! And I've been searching. I've been on a stand-up kick for the past few months, and the number of D.O.A. albums out there is just plain stifling. I enjoyed Pete's first album quite a bit, although there were bits that didn't stick so much, either because of their visual nature or their general done-to-death-ness (he's the third or fourth I've heard do entire sets on Subway sandwiches).

There's something about this album, though, that transcends any of the petty complaints I could level against it. The bits are tight without seeming rehearsed. Even the topics that seem overly done(breast milk, girlfriend friends, dying) are revived by his aggressively cheerful insistence. At one point, he claims he doesn't have the "poetry of language" to accurately describe an experience, but that -- if anything -- is where most of his humor lies: his ability to paint every moment with descriptions of colorful lunacy or to give them a self-effacing backdrop that falls just shy of being self-pitying and becomes more of a smirk and shrug and a "this is life" delivery.

Tons of fun. Surprising. Fast-paced. A treat. It's currently the #1 for this websites comedy offerings. There's little question why.
on June 10, 2014
Hilarious! A few of these tracks popped up one of my Pandora comedy stations. When I found out who the comedian was, I immediately bought Pete Holmes' album. Everytime the Telemarketers Joke comes up, I still laugh out loud. Upon further research I was so happy to see that Pete Holmes has his own talk show that follows Conan's. (I don't have cable and am extremely out of the loop anymore with things like this.) You will LOVE this album if you enjoy Senfield, TJ Miller, Jim Gaffigan, Aziz Ansari, and John Mulaney. Are you still reading this? Buy it already and see for yourself!
on June 10, 2013
A few years ago I heard Impregnated With Wonder, Pete Holmes first album. It quickly became one of my top 3 favorites ever and no matter how many times I listen to it I still laugh. Because of that I didn't expect the next album to live up to such heights, After all plenty of comedians have a stellar first album only to fall flat on the 2nd. With Pete this isn't the case. Nice Try, The Devil is every bit as good as hit debut If you like Pete and his kind of humor as I do this one is a home run. If you are not sure about Pete go check out his incredible podcast "You Made It Weird with Pete Holmes"
on May 14, 2013
Hilarious as always. I first started listening to Pete's podcast You Made It Weird and have been a fan ever since. If you loved Impregnated with Wonder you will love this one as well. Great job Pete. P.S. Keep it Crispy!
44 comments| 4 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 18, 2014
I've long been a fan of Ol' Petey Pants, and this CD does not disappoint. I don't think I will ever get enough of his manic personality. Even those unfamiliar with Pete can appreciate his unique perspectives. Definitely recommend to all!
on November 1, 2013
Tight albums by comedians who have lengthy meandering podcasts are evidence of a strong skill set .
I was laughing out loud with headphones in. There were whiffs of bits from the podcast that were noticed but they were surrounded by so many deftly executed jokes that the completist in me was left nodding in appreciation.
I would recommend this project to Kyle Kinane enthusiasts as both comedians have philosophical undertones that they don't beat you over the head with. You leave with something to think about
on May 20, 2013
I haven't listened to this yet, but I'm a big fan of the podcast, so I'm sure it will be great. My big question was whether this package included a DVD or not. I know it says CD+DVD at the top, but it looks like CD (square) packaging, it's under the "Audio CD" and MP3 category, and there's an audio (no DVD) track listing, and none of the reviews mentioned "seeing" as opposed to "hearing" the product. I figured I'd post this review to let everyone know that a DVD is included. I figured I'd take the chance after following the Amazon link from Pete's website. If it's terrible, I'll downgrade my 5 star review, but I already know I enjoy his comedy, so this is probably it. And also... after being familiar with his personality on his podcast, I'm sure he's here reading this review, just to know that we like him a lot, in sort of a Ryan Gosling way. Hi Pete!!!
on May 12, 2014
I've seen this special on TV and listened to the CD multiple times. Pete Holmes has great delivery and the bits are hilarious. "Dropped a Dog" makes me laugh out loud every time. I can't wait for his next special!
on June 6, 2013
I cannot say enough good things about Pete Holmes and his comedy. I have seen him perform live twice now up in Cleveland and I have listened to his podcast "You made it weird" since the beginning so I guess I am completely biased but this was another great hour of comedy listening to.