Lyft Industrial Deals HPC Oprah's Book Club Red Shoes We Love nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Ricky Martin All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheTick TheTick TheTick  Three new members of the Echo family Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now TG18PP_gno

on December 13, 2010
A friend recommended this book to me as a way of transitioning from a slightly more Santa-based celebration of Christmas into that illusive "deeper meaning" of Christmas that we glimpse all too infrequently. I thought, "Great, I can read it to my all-too-knowledgeable 7-year old and she will become enchanted with the generosity of St. Nick instead of Santa and gobs of gifts." That will be a process we put energy into for years, but the book is a nice start. There are other benefits we have received from reading the book. I found that I had a hard time putting it down. We were going to read one story per night for advent, but ended up reading the whole thing in two evenings because the stories were so good! Even my two and a half year old squealed for more. The stories are well written and seem well researched. The characters are very likable, faithful, pious, and humble. Saint Nicholas shines in these stories, but never takes all the glory for himself...he always gives the credit where it is due; to Jesus. This anthology of stories has been a springboard for our family into a quest for more personal knowledge of St. Nicholas. Who he was and who he continues to inspire with his legacy of unselfishness.
on October 11, 2017
We use this book every year to understand the history of Saint Nicholas and how his actions have been imitated in countries all over the world - Turkey, Italy, France, Germany, Russia, Siberia, Greece, Begium, the Netherlands, and the United States. Although the present day Santa has been overtaken by secularization, we have been able to bring back the Spirit of St. Nicholas using this book and have helped our children understand that the origins of Santa began with St. Nicholas. We have been able to keep the Spirit of St. Nicholas alive vs. the commercialized Santa.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
VINE VOICEon October 15, 2000
Out just in time for Christmas, Anne Neuberger's book is a welcome addition to the family bookshelf. Adults, as well as children will enjoy the book.
The first part of the book re-tells the story of the life of Saint Nicholas who was born in Patara, Asia Minor about 280 to aging parents Theophane and Nonna.
It follows his unusual selection as bishop of Myra at a young age and speaks of his acts of kindness and generosity.
The second part of the book contains other miraculous stories from other parts of the world: Turkey, Italy, Siberia, France, Greece, the Netherlands, and the U.S.
The book explains how St. Nicholas became Americanized and secularized to become Santa Claus, and also includes ideas for how to celebrate St. Nicholas' Day as well as a script for a St. Nicholas Day play.
Neuberger's book is a delightful look at the real St. Nicholas.
0Comment| 58 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse