Salon Beauty Most Anticipated Fall Children's Books Hallo nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments $69.99 Handmade Tote Bags Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon outlanders3premiere outlanders3premierealtText Watch Outlander on Starz with Amazon Channels outlanders3premierealtText Watch Outlander on Starz with Amazon Channels  Three new members of the Echo family Now shipping All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

Nickel Creek
Format: Audio CD|Change

on June 5, 2017
I love their youthful exuberance and awesome musicality
on June 3, 2017
great item Fast Delivery as described
on June 26, 2017
This group is one of the best!
on May 5, 2017
Excellent
on March 7, 2002
I happened to tune in to "A Prairie Home Companion" one Saturday evening. Nickel Creek was the featured guest group. The two songs I heard prompted me to buy this CD. Being a longtime acoustic fan, the mandolin, guitar, fiddle, and vocals on those songs piqued my interest.
When I first listened to the album, I was a little puzzled. I thought I'd hear a young newgrass sound. What I experienced was totally unexpected.
The more I listened, the more I was drawn in. But I could not categorize the sound. "Pastures New" was reminiscent of a Strength in Numbers session. "Reasons Why" echoed Shawn Colvin's style . "Out of the Woods" brought to mind Enya's melodies.
I heard strains of Natalie Merchant and Newgrass Revival. All the vocal arrangements glowed with Alison Krauss' gentle hand.
I was relieved when I heard Alison Krauss' ( the producer) assessment of Nickel Creek's Style: "The only way I can describe the group's style is, it's 'Nickel Creek music'."
I wasn't the only one having difficulty pigeon-holing their style. It's a new genre. I tried listing all of the "fusion" elements, but couldn't get a comprehensive list.
Thile's ethereal mandolin, Sean Watkin's contrapuntal guitar, and Sara Watkin's lilting yet emphatic fiddle will mesmerize you. The tight vocals will capture.
Check out their videos on CMTV! Chris Thile's earlier CD's are virtuoso mandolin!
on December 8, 2001
The unique blending of Bluegrass, Celtic, & country tones lends this album an almost cozy at home feeling. I would definitely recommend this album to those who want a story told in only one musical album.
Chris Thile really invites the passion of the past with his mandolin, his vocals, & his toe tapping "go get 'em" manner in the way he plays & sings! Why do musicians get into the "business?" Do they want fame, fortune, power, or respect? With this trio of musicians singing their love of life into their songs how can we not understand the drive that keeps them putting out music.
I saw them once on Austin City Limits on Publice T.V. They cer- tainly do put on an enthusiatic show. How can anyone not get into the rhythm? I'd almost hate to classify this music as Blue grass because it feels as if it can transcend any billboard boundaries.
My suggestion to you is to buy this CD!! Play it on a sunny Sunday. Enjoy yourself!! Listen to the words. Let the melodies fold you into the arms of mystery & romantic misery. There're sad songs and happy ones on this album. Share it with a friend!
on February 9, 2002
I was only recently introduced to Nickel Creek through my sister. I had never heard of the group, but shortly after listening to the CD, it has become one of my absolute favorites. I am a fan of folk music, classic rock, and some blue grass, but mostly a classical music fan (as well as classical musician) and would surely never consider myself a fan of country. However, Nickel Creek surely transcends any such attempt at categorization and is in a genre all its own.
It is not often nowadays to hear vocal music in which the lyrics are so touching and evocative. Whether it be the poignant story line of "The Lighthouse's Tale", or the inspirational "When You Come Back Down," the lyrics of each vocal piece are worthy of truly active listening. Then to hear technically advanced instrumental work on the same disc is rarer yet. This is the kind of CD you never tire of; the kind that gets better and better upon each playing, I only hope to hear more from this amazingly talented group of musicians.
VINE VOICEon October 4, 2001
As a native Southern Califorian I am pleased that such wonderful music is being made by youths from San Diego. This CD is a wonderfully CRAFTED album. There is much thought that went into blending the instruments with each other and the vocals with the music. And each member is a vitrouso who happen to compliment each other and the resulting mixture is a very enjoyable experience.
My favorites are The Fox (fun and footapping), When You Come Back Down (gorgeous lyrics sung beautifully), Afton (lyrical and lush), The Lighthouse's Tale (beautiful and sad), and Out of the Woods (hopeful and a pleasure to listen to with blended vocals).
Nickel Creek is young and from San Diego...does it matter? Not one whit. BTW this music should not be categorized, its just fantastic music that happens to be in the best of the bluegrass tradition. Please check out the sample's if you havn't heard Nickel Creek, they won't do justice to the CD...but if they wet your interest you will not be disappointed if you purchase it.
on March 26, 2002
For many years, I have been relatively unappreciative of the bluegrass genre. Intellectually, I was aware that the roots of bruegrass had their origin in the Scottish musical mind set; transported to this country by the Scots who settled in the mountains of the eastern US.
Track 10 of this album (Robin and Marian) by Sean Watkins, the mandolin player of the group, is so beautifully concieved and executed, that the connection to European Classical style (as found in the work of J.S. Bach) is perfectly clear.
The work of these true musicians has completely changed my appreciation for bluegrass. For those readers who might share my former view that 12th through 17th century european classical composers produced the only music fit to be listened to; this CD is a 'must' to purchase.
These young artists are guarenteed the success they so richly deserve. As soon as enough people hear their work, and pass the album around to their friends, they will certainly reach the 'top of the charts'
on April 14, 2014
I really like Nickel Creek and this album does not disappoint. It is new music after a spell but I think it is good.