Shop Auto Winter Products Salon Beauty Best Books of the Year Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch For a limited time. 3 months for $0.99. Amazon Music Unlimited. New subscribers only. Terms and conditions apply. Electronics Gift Guide Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video  Three new members of the Echo family Save $50 on All-New Fire HD 10. Limited-time offer. $30 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

on October 23, 2010
Enchanting and haunting picture book and marvelous recording. I have loved Peter Paul and Mary ever since I was a child. And now I feel Mary Traver's great work has been memorialized in her read of Clement Moore's sweet poem. Traver's enchanting voice bounces with humor and joy. She was always a treasure whom folk music will never forget. My own father had a treasured picture of her which he treasured for he loved her talent. The song soalin is also part of the CD which was a haunting recording of a song which was both originally for Halloween or Christmas, either way the poem is beautifully sung and leaves you wanting more. And this is an excellent picture book with wonderful pictures by The French Illustrator Eric Puybaret. He adds marvelous fairies, jaunty hats on the reindeer, and Mr's Claus in a huge hoop skirt. What a delight!! I highly recommend this sweet book and buy it so your children can hear this poem by such artists. And may all the powers that be thanked for the wonderful work of Peter, Paul and Mary
13 helpful votes
14 helpful votes
on December 9, 2014
I found this book for free on Amazon and thought it was really interesting that this book had the part of smoking edited, by Santa Claus himself, out of the story. That was one of the things that always got me thinking when I was younger about the original - my parents smoked for awhile, my sister does now, but I never have and always thought it was disgusting that he did.

This is one of my favorite Christmas stories - beautifully done with some amazing illustrations. Definitely a must for people who love Christmas books, especially this story, and so worth what the author is selling it for.
2 helpful votes
3 helpful votes
on June 13, 2017
I have fond memories of the illustrations of this book from my childhood. Book was in good condition. Happy to have it and to put out with my Christmas decorations and read to my nephews on Christmas Eve. The illustrations are stunning.
on December 7, 2016
I always have to hunt for the book on Christmas Eve, so this downloaded version is going to save me some time!!!
2 helpful votes
on May 18, 2016
As I just stated in my last review, we bought 2 of these books. My husband and I plan to record one another reading this Christmas classic for our grandchildren. I feel it would be cherished for the kids to get it out every Christmas and bring back memories of their Poppa and Mamaw. I recommend these to anyone.
on December 29, 2011
Reading this book is a Christmas tradition at our house. It is an absolutely beautiful book! Everyone one who sees it wants to know where to get it. The story is printed on very thick, off-white, beautifully-illustrated pages. The amazing, detailed illustrations are black and white silhouettes with touches of red, green, and gold. They fill most of the pages while the poem is presented in a large, beautiful type-face.

The book opens to the start of the poem with an illustration of the outside of the house. When you turn the smaller inset page you see the inside of the house like a dollhouse with views of each room and all of the creatures within. Most of the following pages include a cut-out window or door through which you can see part of what is happening on other pages. The final page, "Merry Christmas to all, and to all a good night!", is a glorious pop-up silhouette of Santa in his sleigh and his reindeer taking off over a beautiful, white, gold-tipped town.

Protect the pop-up from little hands and any other possible rough handling!! Our pop-up needed some coaxing of some of the fine, cut-out details to open in all of its glory. You might even want to leave the book open to that page as a decoration. This book is a work of art!
4 helpful votes
5 helpful votes
on April 15, 2014
I grew up reading this book every Christmas. I loved playing with the pop-ups on each page. The book I grew up with was so well-loved that most of its pop ups are destroyed now, so I decided to see if I could find another copy of the book. I purchased a copy for $40 on Amazon, and I'm so happy I did. The book was in great condition, all of the pop-ups worked and there was no writing in the book. Personally, I think it was well worth the $40.
4 helpful votes
5 helpful votes
on August 26, 2016
This is a great one for kids. It doesn't concern me whether or not the verse about Santa smoking a pipe is in the story or not. I have 3 different versions of this story. I bought this one for my daughter specifically for the illustrations. They are beautiful and perfect for a child.
on January 14, 2017
This book is fantastic!!!! I purchased for my daughter, who collects The Night Before Christmas books. It is a must for anyone who thinks that commercialism has taken over Christmas. It is the ultimate home of decorations. There are no bare spots - on walls, furniture, etc. that is not covered with a Santa reminder. Even the roof has a larger Santa that the one arriving on the sleigh. The illustrations are wonderful and each time you read it you are aware of something else. It is laugh after laugh. Highly recommended for the non- traditional adult and of course, all children.
on November 16, 2012
I loved the illustrations. My mom use to recite this to me as a child from memory. My main reason for purchasing this book is to have a copy of the original classic with the part of St. Nick and pipe.
12 helpful votes