Lyft Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Trade in. Get paid. Go shopping. Shop Now FFII_gno

Format: Hardcover|Change

Showing 1-10 of 3,276 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 3,898 reviews
on May 26, 2014
I originally wanted to purchase the Heirloom addition of this book. I did so 10 years ago for my Granddaughter when she was born. After looking it up and seeing it must be out of print ... and the price being ask for it now??? No, that was not going to be possible ... at all! As I looked further I ran into this classic addition. The illustrations in it are just wonderful. Some are in a watercolor and some are sketched. All look like the were done in the 1800's. Each page has, in big bold letters, a verse of the poem making the anticipation of turning the page all that much more exciting. I'm sure this book will be cherished and read for many Christmas's to come!

A brief note about the seller (s). Wonderful and more than on time with delivery. Originally ordered from BUSTERSBOOKS and he immediately contacted me to tell me he had some small damage on his book but he had located another one for me. He knew it was a reputable seller ( Little Old Lady Books ) because she was his wife. A beautiful, perfect edition showed up on my doorstep 3 days later. Very grateful as it's to go along with a Christmas throw handed down through the family at a baby shower next weekend.
on March 3, 2017
Was so excited to find this version online. Needed one for my new grandson. Our children grew up reading from this same version. The first grandson has one and now so does the second. Thanks for helping our family tradition spread
on December 31, 2014
When I was born, I received The Night Before Christmas from my grandmother. As such, the story holds a very special place in my heart, as does the holiday in general. So when I was looking for something that would pass that same sense of magic and joy to my two nephews, I knew I wanted a great copy of the book.

This book delivered in a big way. The illustrations are beautiful - whimsical without being cheesy or cheap. The cut-paper aspect is confined to a few small pieces that actually enhance the story - like a little peek at Santa through the door "like a peddler just opening his pack". The pages are very high quality and the story is unedited.
on December 14, 2010
I bought this book only seeing the cover, and had searched all over the web trying to find pictures from the inside. Other "Night Before Christmas" books on Amazon have a sneak peek of the inside, but this one did not. The other books were not quite the style I was looking for and I only bought it because of one review that said it was a beautifully illustrated book, that Santa must be part of the artist, and I would have to fully agree. The pictures look like paintings on canvas, with brush strokes visible, and there is a sense of magic to it. Definately not your typical illustrations in my opinion. This book will be cherished by our family for all of our years to come, and read every Christmas Eve.
on November 27, 2014
I'm reviewing the book illustrated by Mary Engelbreit (since these reviews are clumped together with the different versions of The Night Before Christmas). It is a beautiful book! Mary does not disappoint with her illustrations. The poem is unaltered, as well. I'm sure my family will have many years of fun reading this one!
on December 11, 2016
I love this edition, illustrated by James Marshall. I've given it to numerous kids in the past. But this year, 2016, I am having a heck of a time ordering, because they keep sending me the title, illustrated by Jean Hirashima. WHAT THE HELL?????

I don't know how this glitch happened (when you click the book on the order page, it immediately shows the cover of the J. Hirashima illustrated book, despite showing the James Marshall version.

Someone at Amazon needs to get on this ball and correct this error. It's annoying and I want my James Marshall!!! I don't think that's asking too much (and I had originally ordered this version NOVEMBER 18, 2016. It's now 12/11/16. So much for Christmas gifts.

In the immortal words of Ricky Ricardo, someone's got "a lot of 'splainin to do."

Disgruntled book lover.
on January 23, 2016
I had the Golden Book version when I was a child in the 1950's and bought this same book for my children in the 1980's. I was thrilled, therefore, to find this same book for my first grandchild this past Christmas. This version will be a cherished prize for anyone who enjoyed it in the last century and would want to share it with a grandchild in this one.
on August 4, 2015
The criticisms about this book are not going to make a difference to a child, and it certainly is not going to make a difference arguing about it online (which I learned way back in the early 90s). In the end it doesn't even matter that I don't personally care for the fact that the pipe was taken out because our son loved the book; he loved the story, he loved Santa and the reindeer, and he loved the illustrations.

If you go searching for the principles and hypocrisies of every tiny product and service in your life, and then try to justify or defend those beliefs online, then you really need to learn how to pick your battles. What if the author that presented the revised edition only published new illustrations, left the story unedited, but publicly was a figurehead against an issue you were way more passionate about than a fictional character in a book sans a pipe? Would you have purchased the book then? Would you have even known you were supporting that person? What happens when you go out in public and your child asks why that man or woman has a burning white stick in their mouth? Seriously, we should all take a chill pill (including myself) and reserve our energy for the fights worth fighting.

There is certainly a correct time and a correct way to discuss different things in the world with our children, but we are doing them a disservice if we simply keep them blind to it all. Speaking of being blind, we all blindly support causes in our lives that we have no control over in one way or the other as I implied above, but save your passion for the issues that can seriously affect change like protecting the environment, raising children, and how we treat others.
on December 8, 2010
I have a 4 year old who loves to read and I was very excited imagining how his eyes would light up when he opened the book for the first time. Also, as I have no copy of this book and still enjoy reliving my childhood memories, I was excited about seeing the magical pictures that so many reviewers raved about.

Initially, I felt worried because the full-page colour illustrations had a sort of old watercolour feel to them that I thought would disappoint my son. I wanted bolder colours and better definition, and I kept squinting to try to discern more detail. The book actually turned out to be a real wonderland of thrills for him, as he was able to discern nametags on the reindeer, and would scream out the names as he read them, and match their names to Santa's chant of "On Dasher, On Dancer,..." etc.

Also, the book is hardcover so it will last a long time, the print is large and easy to read which makes it well suited to young ones who want to read on their own or along with an adult. I have revised my rating of this book to reflect how pleased I am, because my son transported me to a happy, magical place every night leading up to Christmas with his reading of this lovely book.
on January 6, 2017
This is the definitive edition of "The Night Before Christmas" with all the beautiful artwork you'd come to expect for a timeless classic. I purchased this book for Christmas to read for my family and we all enjoyed turning the large pages, admiring the gorgeous illustrations, and unfolding the massive four-page fold out at the center of the story. The inside cover of this book includes a large blank space that reads, "This Book Belongs To", which is the perfect place to write a child's or family name.

There are a lot of version of this story floating around on Amazon, but this book is the one you're looking for. Its large format may make it a little tricky to fit on a smaller bookshelf, but it's the perfect addition to your holiday decorations to enjoy for years to come.