Industrial Deals HPC Best Books of the Year Holiday Dress Guide nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc For a limited time. 3 months for $0.99. Amazon Music Unlimited. New subscribers only. Terms and conditions apply. Electronics Gift Guide Limited time offer Handmade Last Minute Gifts Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon JCVJ JCVJ JCVJ  All-new Echo Save $10 on Fire 7. Limited-time offer. $20 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now HTL17_gno

Night Castle
Format: Audio CD|Change

on November 10, 2009
Unlike a lot of other TSO fans, I actually didn't even know that this album was in development until about a year ago, so I may be immune to some of the effects that those who have been anticipating Night Castle since it was announced are experiencing. After such a long wait, it's pretty much impossible to not have unrealistically high expectations. Also, I knew it was not a Christmas album, so I also had no disappointments on that level either.

Personally, I think the album is very good. The musical style is overall very similar to TSOs past elements, though the album overall has a bit of a darker tone due to the subject matter, which I actually like. The song-writing is great and the best songs of Night Castle are strong enough to stand with the best songs off of any of their other albums. There are many standout tracks, including Night Enchanted, The Mountain, Night Castle, Mozart and Memories, Another Way You Can Die, The Lion's Roar, Moonlight and Madness, Child of the Night, and Tracers. For those who have heard the album, one thing will be clear: The majority of my favorite songs are instrumentals.

With that said, there is one criticism that I have seen over and over, and I can confirm that it's true: The album is over-produced. On far too many tracks--and as a whole--the guitars especially don't come blasting at you with the same sort of power that they do on other albums. If you listen to Christmas Eve/Sarajevo 12/24 then you think to yourself, "Man, this guys are really rocking out!" That's not the case on Night Castle. Too often the guitars seem sort of impotent, to be honest. The album all over sounds too clean . . . too polished . . . too perfect.

But you have to take the good with the bad. Don't take my criticisms to mean that the album is not worth buying, because it is. I gave it 4 stars, after all. (Truthfully, I would probably give it 3 1/2 but since you can't do 1/2 star ratings, I rounded up since it's TSO.) Buy the album and enjoy it, and let's hope it doesn't take them another 5 years to release new material.
on March 26, 2017
Best musical group ever! Perfect start to the holidays.
on October 29, 2017
Product as described, would buy again.
on November 8, 2009
I'm a big fan of Trans-Siberian Orchestra and have all there recording. ( including Savatage ) However,after playing this copy of there new recording, I really have mixed views over it! I mean,I understood that the recording wasn't Christmas long before it was going to be released and I looked forward to it being released for quite sometime. ( they even said and performed some of it during there concerts -- yes,I have saw them LIVE,but that's another story for another time and another place )!!
Back to this recording:
I'm glad that I know what they sound like before I bought this recording and even though it's with all the folks that make up TSO, I'm glad to have this in my libary along with the others they have released. ( I mean it's been how long now since they put out a recording?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
Maybe they won't put off releasing another recording for so long and get back to sounding like the Trans-Siberin Orchestra they became know as!! ( wonders if they will ever make a DVD release just for the heck of it - but nothing is the same as going to one or two of there concerts and come out never being the same as you were going into the show!!
Thanks guys,I know it was work putting this together,but perhaps you overlooked just how you once sounded that made many people stop in awe and listen to your music you put out on a recording and in turn,put alittle pocket chance in your pockets too!!
Looking forward to hearing from you guys soon!!! :-)
on November 26, 2017
more different than i though
on April 13, 2016
SUPERB WERKS by TRANS-SIBERIAN ORCHESTRA! The first five tracks needed a bit of me getting to really appreciate them but once I heard both CDs in their entirety, they grew on me. I'm getting another copy for a friend whose birthdays coming up.
on September 14, 2017
great item
on October 26, 2009
Fans have been waiting years for this to come out. I have been hearing about it since I first encountered TSO. I knew it would not be a Christmas CD, it has been said all along this would be their second non-Christmas CD. After hearing advance songs I was really concerned about it. I should not have, they did pull it all together nicely. It is very enjoyable and most of it is TSO, not all however; it seems to have lost some of its magic. The album case and story are nice and beautiful, recommend reading the story while listening to it. My story had pages out of order, however I believe this was just my copy. All 26 songs go by fast with out even noticing it! However to read this story is more tiring then any of the rest.
bottom line:
not a christmas cd- good or bad take how you like
26 songs!!!!
beautiful artwork
long story, but worth reading @ least once while listening to it
CD case is a bit annoying with the opening on the outside for cds to fly out and get damaged!
great to listen to but I believe it lost a bit of the TSO magic

I recommend this for any TSO fans.

Also the night castle ([...]) site is pretty cool, give it a look see, you can read and get the story.
on May 5, 2017
ok
on November 17, 2009
I had high hopes for this release, hearing it hyped at their concerts for three years built the buzz up quite a bit by the time this double CD package was released, and all I can say is...that's it? THAT took 5 years?

The best part about Night Castle is the Hildebrandt artwork and the story in the booklet. The music was a disappointment.

They even threw in a Holiday track "Nutrocker" with Greg Lake of ELP on bass, but even this only served to remind the listener of earlier, better TSO music.

There was hardly any "O" in this TSO. There were a few tracks that featured some orchestral touches, but most of the other tracks were overwrought numbers with medicore vocalists and repetitive lyrics. Reading the storyline helped a bit, but this release continued the trend (for me at least) that every TSO release is less impressive than the one before. "Christmas Eve" is a classic, and everything since has been a step down...