Industrial Deals HPC Magazine Deals Introducing Prime Wardrobe nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Offline listening. Learn more. PCB for select Bang & Olufsen Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Mother's Day gifts Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon westworldS2 westworldS2 westworldS2  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now TG18PP_gno

Night (Night)
Format: Paperback|Change

on March 14, 2017
Every human on this planet should read this book!

It's not very long but it didn't need to be. It is heart wrenching and infuriating and inspiring and about a million other adjectives I could think of... but that's the kind of feeling we need to experience when we're reading about this type of horror. The real life, actual horror people inflict on one another, sick, twisted, wretched, heartbreaking and utterly disgustingness of what Nazi Germany really did.

Elie survived, that in itself is a miracle, that he chose to share that terrible chapter of his life with all of us so that we may learn, that's his gift to us. Don't waste that.

It only takes good men to do nothing for evil to prevail. Keep your eyes open, people.
0Comment| 30 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on May 11, 2017
Elie Wiesel is a Nobel Prize winning author and Night was his first step into the arena. But his aim was not to become a world renown author and historian but rather to tell his personal story of the incomprehensible Holocaust. One of the passing characters in the book escapes from the concentration camp and returns to his home town to describe the atrocities he saw, and no one believes him, because how could human beings perpetrate such deeds, and how could others possibly bear them. Elie Wiesel continued his mission throughout his life with the intent of immortalizing those who died, including his entire family (except for one brother if I remember correctly). He campaigned during the rest of his life for many locations of genocide in the world, but first and foremost in the book tells his very personal story of the concentration camp inhumanity, torture and murder. He bravely describes the torment of his father and Elie's own disappointment in himself, a boy merely 16 years old, in his passivity. He makes the characters of his family come alive and you feel the grief and tragedy in their murder. But some main impressions are people's disbelief that what they heard could actually happen to them, and later the belief that tomorrow would be better but it never was. He is brave to be able to describe in detail the hunger, flith, exhaustion and death of so many in a way that lets you see the horror but not so vividly that you have to skip pages, which often happens to me with Holocaust descriptions. I think I skipped one incident. I was glad to see it available as a kindle book because I always felt it was a hole in my cultural experience that I had not read it. It is a classic and I hope it will continue to be read by many. Given that Elie Wiesel died this year I felt it provided a greater understanding of who he was and what he and his people went through. May it never happen again.!
on September 6, 2017
This book is very short, but the words are extremely powerful. I am amazed that the author was able to summarize his "life" in concentration camps so succinctly. The emotions came through as I read it. I was sucked into his world, but yet could not imagine the true horrors of such places. I know that this book should be required reading in schools. I read it, for the 2nd time, for a college English class. It will haunt my thoughts forever. How could humans treat others so cruelly? We are all people, no matter where we come from, what color we are, or what God we do or do not believe in. This book should be on everyone's bucket list, pardon the pun.
on July 26, 2016
I have read the Anne Frank. diary and novels set during this time....Mila 18 and Armageddon by Leo Uris come to mind along with a class on the Halocaust during my under grad education, but this account held me spellbound with its simplicity and depth of emotion not in the words but the picture they paint...could I survive ....I don't know, but I believe everyone has a will to survive and as is portrayed here...when push comes to shove the quest for survival is the last motivator we have...
Overriding religion, friends and love of family...in this secular materialistic world we inhabit, everyone needs to be reminded of the evil we as humans are capable of inflicting on those we consider "other" so that it never happens again...although to a lesser degree it has and co.iTunes to occur.
on December 12, 2017
I have read a lot of holocaust books but Weisel’s telling is so honest and so painful and his commentary is so true and so right that this is the single best book of them all. They are all important and every survivors story is important and must be told and must be heard. They are speaking for those that did not have the opportunity to speak because of the nazis. It’s just Night is different then all the others and it’s Weisel’s voice I think. I wish that the entire world was required and wanted to read this and learn from this. May this history never repeat. May we never forgot.... especially for the children lost. May their memory be a blessing.
on August 28, 2015
No one should need an excuse to re-read a book as powerful as Night, but if I needed one, the new(er) translation by the author’s wife provided it. Everything that needs to be said about this book has been said, I suppose, many times over. In its brief, straightforward narrative it captures not just the horror of the attempted extermination of Europe’s Jews, but the destruction that was wrought even in the souls of survivors. Amid all the other losses, including members of his family, the loss that persists through the book, is the narrator-author’s loss of faith, the loss of God. The one thing that might have helped make sense of the grotesque insanity was gone, and with it, a large portion of the previously pious young victim’s self and soul. Remarkably (particularly given how pious the narrator was before being herded in cattle cars with so many others to Auschwitz), the complete loss of a sense of God’s justice did not happen over the course of a long incarceration as he struggled to find meaning in the light of faith. The change was immediate, everything was lost in a day, so brutal, so thorough, was the Nazi violation. How could a just God let this happen?

There are so many memorable scenes in this short book: the journey in the cramped cattle cars; the arrival at the camp; the sight, sound, and ash of the crematorium; the hanging of a child; the crusts of bread; the forced march when the camp was abandoned at war’s end; the gratuitous murders even in a place where gratuitous murder was organizing principle. And there are so many painful moments, most having to do with loss: the loss of God, the loss of identity, the loss of friends and family, in the end the loss of his father, too, who was his mainstay through most of the ordeal. But there are also moments of remembering that humanity must be preserved. As the camp was being evacuated, the prisoner’s stopped long enough to clean their prison camp. Why? To let the liberating army know “that here lived men and not pigs.” I was reminded of Italian chemist Primo Levi’s account of his imprisonment in Auschwitz, If This Is a Man, in which he describes the ex-army sergeant who washed daily, even though the water was dirty and he had only his soiled clothes to dry himself with. But he did it, and encouraged others to do the same, for the sake of dignity more than cleanliness, to remain human and to prevent the machine of war, imprisonment, and dehumanization from turning prisoners into beasts, as its masters wished it to do.

This book is a ringing call to remember, and to resist injustice, ignorance, and apathy. As Wiesel said in his speech accepting the Nobel Peace Prize in 1986 (reprinted at the end of this book): “We must take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Sometimes we must interfere.”
on November 13, 2017
Night, written by Elie Wiesel, is a short book that includes the narrator’s haunting personal experience with concentration camps during the holocaust. It is a necessary read full of true stories about Wiesel’s time in Nazi concentration camps. Forced out of his home as a teenager, Wiesel traveled with his family to Birkenau. He and his father embarked on the deadly and involuntary journey, moving from one death camp to another. Throughout the book, the author provides numerous anecdotes that provide the reader with an image of what these concentration camps were really like.
This a mature book, but it is definitely a must read for teenagers and adults. The ideas may be a too strong for children or pre-teens. It is poignant and graphic, but gets a clear message across. If you’re looking for short read and have interest in the holocaust and the victims who suffered through it, this is the book for you. I suggest you read through the preface and the forward in the beginning of the book, as well as the author’s note at the end. All in all, this is a great book that will provide you with both information and a saddening perspective of World War II.
on November 14, 2017
The book “Night” by Elie Wiesel was very different to anything I’ve ever read before. It tells of experiences within Jewish concentration camps, during World War II, that are simply unimaginable to people today. Elie’s family, along with multitudes of other innocent victims, were tortured and killed throughout their involuntary stay. At points throughout the book, it was hard for me to read what terrible things these people were forced to endure. This made me reflect on how privileged and fortunate I truly am. As I would definitely recommend this book, I highly suggest that it is only read by mature audiences. The ideas and feelings projected by the author are intense and can emotionally affect those who engage in reading. Much of the audience can’t physically or emotionally relate to these events described, yet are bound to feel sympathy and sadness for those who can/could. This book was extremely detailed and provoked an immense amount of feelings. I would definitely recommend this book to anyone who is even slightly interested. It has changed my once negative opinion on nonfiction books.
on July 6, 2016
I liked this book. I will not say I loved this book because the subject is too awful to be real. Reading this story I felt like that young boy asking "... Is this a dream..." It's hard for me, an infant of the 70's, a child of the 80's, a teen of the 90's, to believe that these atrocities ever occurred. I remember reading in history that Churchill/ Patton? (please correct me if I'm wrong) wanted pictures taken "... Because someday, there will be those who'll say 'this never happened'."
I feel for the survivors, their families. I worry for my children who will learn that great men like this author are less than current winners of this prestigious award. It is up to us, the third generation, the generation that makes or erases history, "to look into that young Jews eyes and say ... That we are not forgetting [them]. When their voices are stifled, we will lend them ours"
Here is my testimony in the name of Jesus Christ, amen.
on July 5, 2016
What to say about this book. It is so thought provoking. It is not just about the atrocities committed by the Germans. There are many Holocaust books written by survivors. This book is about faith and the loss of innocence and the ability to believe. Like the author, I always believed that God was a kind, merciful and loving God. If that is true , then how could he allow so many innocent people be slaughtered down through the ages? Why do prayers go unanswered? This book is well-worth reading.