Night Gallery: Season 1
Frequently Bought Together
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
- All 13 episodes from the 1970-71 season plus the original pilot movie
Top Customer Reviews
There has been a lot of controversy surrounding this release for months. Some of which I agree with, but most of which seems to be based on unrealistic and even fanatical speculation. Is this a perfect Night Gallery DVD? No. Is it worth buying? Without a doubt.
The Picture Quality: Is quite good. The color is all there and has obviously been enhanced and corrected. No more grainy, magenta tinted episodes like we've seen on TV for years. The transfer is crisp and color well saturated. There are a few dust spots and hairs from time to time, but no long scratches. Could Universal do better? Sure. But let's be realistic. Most of us watched these episodes on grainy TV sets with rabbit ear antennae 30 years ago. They look better on the DVD than I ever remember.
Sound Quality. This seems to have been much enhanced. Not quite Dolby Surround, but the musical score is clear and crisp, and lends a creepy layer of atmosphere the series never had back when we only had a crummy TV speaker. The sound is great, at least on the pilot.
Extras? Well, there are none, and here I agree with the critics. Would it have killed Universal to put the paintings on DVD? Or maybe include one interview with Serling or even Spielberg? This is barebones for sure.
Presentation: The box is a beautifully printed glossy gatefold with some cool photos of Rod Serling on N.G. set. It's quite nice and well done. There are 3 discs.
If you've been waiting to see the full episodes of N.G. for decades, like I have, then buy this set and don't listen to the carping from other reviewers and websites.Read more ›
As a caveat emptor, the first season is relatively free of errors compared to the second season. The most critical error is the crackling that runs through the soundtrack of Serling's segment "The House" (found in Episode #3). Any further critique will have to wait until the release.
And who knows, if sales for Season One are impressive enough, maybe the studio will do right by Season Two and give "RSNG" a budget that more accurately reflects its classic status.
But they are all restored in this release of the first season, which also features a handful of episodes from the second and third seasons. It would be nice if Universal released the final two seasons on DVD, but for some reason that doesn't appear like that will happen any time soon.
Anyway, if you are a fan of this series, by all means go out and buy it. If you've never seen it before but enjoy anthology-format television fright shows, take a chance.
Most Recent Customer Reviews
I grew up watching Night Gallery (even though i was supposed to be in bed) I loved being scared then and I love being scared now. Welcome to the Night Gallery!Published 8 days ago by DEBRA D. JEAKINS
I remember these from being a kid and staying up late to watch them with what ever older brother (usually) or sister I could whine and beg into it. Kinda like the Twilight Zone. Read morePublished 8 days ago by Wildkat
Although not up to the standards of the original Twilight Zone series, I really liked this Night Gallery series.Published 1 month ago by Jeffrey C. Poole
I love old anthology suspense/horror TV series, from ALFRED HITCHCOCK PRESENTS, through TWILIGHT ZONE and THRILLER, on up to OUTER LIMITS. Read morePublished 1 month ago by Scott Hammond
Set up an Amazon Giveaway
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
Look for Similar Items by Category
- Movies & TV > Boxed Sets > Drama
- Movies & TV > Boxed Sets > Mystery & Suspense
- Movies & TV > Boxed Sets > Television
- Movies & TV > Educational
- Movies & TV > Genre for Featured Categories > Action & Adventure
- Movies & TV > Genre for Featured Categories > Drama
- Movies & TV > Genre for Featured Categories > Fantasy
- Movies & TV > Genre for Featured Categories > Horror
- Movies & TV > Genre for Featured Categories > Mystery & Thrillers
- Movies & TV > Genre for Featured Categories > Science Fiction
- Movies & TV > Science Fiction & Fantasy
- Movies & TV > Studio Specials > Universal Studios Home Entertainment > All Universal Studios Titles
- Movies & TV > Studio Specials > Universal Studios Home Entertainment > Boxed Sets
- Movies & TV > Studio Specials > Universal Studios Home Entertainment > Classics
- Movies & TV > Studio Specials > Universal Studios Home Entertainment > Documentary
- Movies & TV > Studio Specials > Universal Studios Home Entertainment > Television
- Movies & TV > TV