Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Tailgating PSFF17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 167 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 296 reviews
on December 23, 2013
I'd give it 5 for illustrations even without the text. This is a book that my grandchildren will probably like but will stay at grandma's house. I remember my children memorizing the words, and their delight at Mickey flying, and the learning the steps of making bread. My mother made bread every week and my daughter joined her when we visited a few times a year. The baking together continued from age 3 to adulthood.
on February 26, 2017
Maurice Sendak is the best!
on December 5, 2013
We don't fully understand why our son loves it, but he does. SO... We can't complain that much. He forced my wife, and my parents to read it over and over and over. As for people that find the nudity off-putting. Do you have children? Because mine rips his clothes off on occasion while pursuing adventures. Maybe this is a case of Art mirroring life.
on February 16, 2015
I bought this book because my former students loved the book. I thought it was because of the novelty of the naked boy illustrations. So, I thought my baby would like it some time down the line. I started reading it to him when he was a few months old because I like the off beat rhymes. Now my son is almost 10 months old and LOVES this book, particularly when I read it. I lay out several books every night and he always chooses this one, often times twice in a row. He tolerates most other books and will pay attention off and on, but he will listen with rapt attention to the whole book every time I read it. I've considered taking it out of rotation because even though I enjoy it, you can only take so much of a good thing! But I'm so happy he loves it!

As for the cake controversy, it's clear that this is a narrative of a child's dream and cake isn't literal. The cake is a metaphor for the sun. The bakers bake in the night kitchen all night so the cake(sun) can rise every morning, with the crowing of the little boy. Thanks to Mickey sleeping and dreaming the sun rises each morning. That's how I plan to explain it anyway. As for the nakedness, there is nothing lewd about a cartoon boy and his vague nakedness. It's natural and innocent. If you think nudity is something shameful then don't buy or read the book!
on September 2, 2017
Such a strange little book! Every child I've ever read this to sits very entranced. A fine, fine bedtime book.
on February 12, 2017
I found a poster first. I am a night person. For a personalized gift for his baby shower, I bought the book for my nephew as a personal gift from his Aunt. His mom has a collection of Coffee Cu[s for me. So far, it has been great, the gift was a hit at the shower and his mom says it is a nice variety of sound when reading him to sleep.
on October 18, 2016
Favorite childhood book with some racy illustrations!
on August 4, 2015
I bought this for my new grandson. It's a favourite from when my children were little. I found I was able to recite much of it while my daughter thumbed through it. This is a very satisfying book that has stood the test of time with rhymes and changes of rhythm that stop it from just being a chant. We used different voices, changes of pace and took turns, and when it was finished, it was time to turn the light off and go to sleep....
on September 10, 2017
I buy this book for babies. My son's loved it and the images are great
on January 16, 2015
Beautiful book, wonderful artwork, one of my favourites from childhood. Bought as an Xmas gift for a 13 month old who is not yet talking fluently thinking she might be too young. Sat with her on my knee and read it cover to cover she was enthralled and demanded I do it all over again. Clearly it won't physically stand up to the rigours an unsupervised small child could put it through, but the content will certainly capture their imagination.