Industrial Deals HPC Best Books of the Month Holiday Dress Guide nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Listen for a chance to win Electronics Gift Guide $34.99 for a limited time only Try it first with samples Handmade Last Minute Gifts Holiday Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon JCVJ JCVJ JCVJ  Echo Devices starting at $29.99 Save $30 on All-New Fire HD 8. Limited-time offer. $20 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

Format: Hardcover|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
When I was about 100 pages into this book, a creeping sense of dread catapulted to abject fear for the people in the book. If this was written by another writer, I may have abandoned it entirely, but being a long time Dean Koontz fan, I pushed through the fear and an amazingly intricate plot. To say much more would ruin the story for others.

Koontz creates the characters of this book so vividly that they came alive for this reader. He does this well with his other books, but this is a particularly intricate story weaving the fate of those characters so unpredictably, that that I was literally on the edge of my seat through the last 100 pages. My trust in Koontz and his ideals in storytelling were renewed with this book.

If you are a delicate person who can't take the heat and terror in this book, then you should stay away from it. But if you are ready to take the plunge into a truly horrifying tale, you should indeed take that leap as I did.
on November 22, 2010
Format: Hardcover|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
The very first book I read by Dean Koontz, Lightning, was a suspenseful tale with science-fiction elements. The plot moved at breakneck speed and in spite of the pace Mr. Koontz still made you care about his characters. WHAT THE NIGHT KNOWS reminded me of my first Koontz experience. I was on the edge of my seat the entire time. And since I didn't have time, due to my work schedule, to sit down and read it in one sitting, his ability to keep the reader glued to the pages is even more remarkable. When I wasn't reading WHAT THE NIGHT KNOWS, I was thinking about it and eager to get back to it. I would suggest setting aside a block of time before cracking it open. To all those complainers who're saying they didn't enjoy this book: I don't understand you. What more do you want from a suspense novel? It produced chills; the characterizations were on point; the plot moved swiftly; the villain was reprehensible, a real sociopath who even managed to come back from hell for revenge. The setting was rather gothic, which I appreciated. I really liked all of the Calvinos, especially the children. John's partner, Detective Timmins was also a welcome addition to the story. I became very involved with the plot and kept wondering how in the world the Calvinos were going to fight a supernatural opponent. I need not have feared because Koontz came up with a satisfying climax. As far as I'm concerned Dean Koontz is still, and always will be, the master of suspense.
on April 6, 2015
I really enjoyed this book and the bonus novella at the end. I enjoy how Koontz has been adding a short story to some of his novels concerning the main novel. I hate when certain books end and his bonus short dealing with the main subject is kind of fun!
on October 6, 2013
this was a powerful book, darker than some of Koontz's work, but it also has moments of beauty, poetry and profound creativity (what sets Koontz apart i think.) . if you're up for post apocaliptic horror survival, read 'the taking' or 'phantoms', horror action suspense romantic comedy 'tick tock'; law and order/alex cross/the first power, read 'what the night knows'.
on December 29, 2010
The first book I read with Dean Koontz's name on it was Demon Seed in 1973. Then, a few years later, I read The Key to Midnight under his Leigh Nichols pseudonym and Funhouse under his Owen West pseudonym. It wasn't until the publication of Whispers in 1980 that I began to think I'd found a new author who could seriously entertain me. When Phantoms was published in 1983, I became addicted to the writer's fiction much like a junkie becomes hooked on heroin. After that, I needed a Dean Koontz fix every several months to keep myself from running out into the streets in my BVDs and shouting, "They're coming! They're coming!" I'm happy to say that after twenty-seven years, I'm still an avid fan of the novels by Dean Koontz. He never ceases to entertain and surprise me with each book that comes out.

Now, what does all of this have to do with his newest novel, What the Night Knows? Probably not a damn thing, except I personally think this book is the best piece of fiction Dean Koontz has ever written, which is quite a statement when one considers all the fantastic novels this man has created over the past forty years. What the Night Knows will literally grab you in a strangle hold within the first few pages and then not let go till you either die of asphyxiation or get to the last page. There's no way you'll be able to figure out what's going to happen no matter how hard you try. I know because I attempted to guess the ending and was dead wrong. This book kept me on my toes as a reader, never letting up its whirlwind pace and surprising me with every twist and turn.

The story deals with John Calvino, a man who survived the massacre of his family at age sixteen by the psychopathic Alton Turner Blackwood, a villain so evil and hideous that his spirit comes back twenty years later to finish what he started. Calvino, who's now a homicide detective, notices a stark similarity in the massacre of an entire household by its youngest sibling. When he questions the boy who murdered, tortured, and raped the members of his own family, Calvino is taunted and told specific information only Blackwood could have known. But, Blackwood is dead, and has been for two decades. John should know because he's the one who shot the killer in the face several times when he came home from his girlfriend's house one night, only to find his parents and two sisters violently murdered, and Blackwood performing his macabre rituals. Calvino now suspects his greatest fear has materialized and the spirit of Blackwood has come back to get its revenge, but no one will believe him. The evil entity is now after Calvino's wife and kids, and will use any means possible to kill them. The detective knows his family is targeted. All he has to do is to figure out how protect them against a ghost. As other families in the area are murdered, the clock is ticking for John Calvino and his loved ones. He just doesn't realize how fast, or the special surprise the spirit of Blackwood has in store for him.

When I first started What the Night Knows, I found myself reading the sentences out loud because the words used by the author were so beautiful and breathtaking in their descriptions. It certainly showed me how far I still have to go as a writer. Of course, the author has also written over eighty novels. He's like the Energizer Bunny on steroids when it comes to writing. Still, he outdid himself with his newest book. Not only are the words carefully chosen, but the characters are fully rounded, and you quickly get to know them as real individuals. The villain, Alton Turner Blackwood is certainly one of the most terrifying characters in fictional history and gave me the jitters that lasted for days. The lead character, John Calvino, is much like the other male characters in the author's previous books; brave, loving, truthful in most cases, filled with an inner sadness, and ready to do battle against those who might harm his loved ones. The wife and kids seem like the perfect family, which is why Blackwood wants to destroy them in the most horrible fashion. The plot has so many twists and turns in it that I finally gave up trying to figure out the ending and just went with the flow. I mean, how do you protect yourself against a malevolent spirit when no one believes you and even the Catholic Church won't come to your assistance? Right up till the last ten pages, I felt sure the Calvino family was going to be butchered, which is not the type of ending Dean Koontz is known for. Fortunately, he pulled a rabbit out of the hat and surprised me with the final outcome. Or, maybe the family was massacred in order to create a different type of ending from his unusual books. You have to read it to find out!

If, like me, you're a Dean Koontz fan, don't wait for the paperback to come out. Run to the nearest bookstore, or go directly to Amazon and buy the hardcover when it comes out near the end of December. You'll want to grab this book up and find a secret place to read it. Why? So people will leave you alone! I lost count on how many individuals saw me reading this on the bus going to and from work. They wanted to know what it was about and if I would loan it to them once I was finished. My roommate, however, won the toss and now has the novel in her possession. I told her not to let Alton Turner Blackwood get under her skin, or she wouldn't be able to sleep at night! Needless to say, this novel is highly recommended to those who want to sit on the edge of their seat, biting their fingernails in avid anticipation.
VINE VOICEon December 2, 2010
Format: Hardcover|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I don't read much Koontz, but this one had me mesmerized from the very first page. I couldn't read it at night due to the extreme FEAR of anything going bump in the night. Mr. Koontz is a master of setting: from the gloomy weather to the crime scene visits and the trips to the mental hospital, he kept me riveted to the page and the spookily unfolding story.

Many years ago, a killer arrived in a small city. His name was Alton Turner Blackwood, and in the space of a few months he brutally murdered four families. His savage spree ended only when he was killed by the last survivor of the last family, a fourteen-year-old boy who grows up to become Homicide detective, John Calvino, the main character of this story. Two decades later, someone is murdering families again, recreating in careful detail Blackwood's crimes. Detective John Calvino is certain that his own family, his wife and three children, will be targets in the fourth crime, just as his parents and sisters were victims when he was fourteen and killed their slayer.

An extraordinarily weird experience convinces John that sometimes death is not a one-way journey and that sometimes the dead return.

If you've never read Koontz or haven't been a fan in the past, definitely give this one a go. As an avid reader who never read much Koontz, I found this book thrilling, well-plotted and unputdownable. Koontz is, indeed, a master of suspense!!
on February 10, 2014
I usually love Dean Koontz books but I found myself bored and flipping through the pages. It was a good story but could have been written as a novella instead of a full novel. He also must have purchased a new dictionary prior to writing this one because I felt like he was trying out all the new big words he learned, totally unnecessary!!
on March 24, 2011
I love dean koontz and have read all his books and I am waiting for the new Frankenstein Dead Town book. While reading this book I felt I have seen the story before just a different version. The writing is all koontz and good as always, but the story seemed recycled.
on January 1, 2011
I have read almost the entire body of dean Koontz's work. I loved his old stuff. "Watchers", "Hideaway", "Intensity" and "Lightning" were some of my favorites. I also loved "From the Corner of His Eye" and "The Face." I only bring up these titles because of "What The Night Knows", its a new work that runs in the same vein as some of the best from this author. I won't give to much away except to say that the villian Mr. Blackwood is one of the darkest villians I think this author ever created. to say that he is vicious is an understatement, and through the use of Mr. Koontz's description, you can see this villian as if he is standing right in your living room...which is ironic...since as the book starts, this nasty villian, and he is definately that, is already dead. This book kept me turning the pages and I loved it.
I was worried about Mr. Koontz. I thought at one point with "Relentless" and "Breathless" that he in some way he had become just another Best-Selling Sell-Out. With "What the Night Knows", Dean Koontz proved me wrong, and I am so glad he did.
Keep writing books like these, MR. Koontz, and I'll keep reading!
on May 15, 2012
What Dean Koontz does with this particular book feels more powerful to me than most other books I have read.
The amazing aspect about this book is its portrayal of the truth of evil. It reminds us that evil is all around us. Almost every other character we meet in this book has their own evil. Whether it's a thieving delivery man, murderess woman, sexual deviant priest, or even the beginnings of evil that may appear innocent in Children. Not only does it remind us that evil is all around us, but is also within all of us. But most importantly, it reminds us that we all have the capacity to defeat evil.
With Koontz's masterful storytelling and enthralling narrative, this message is well delivered. This book will keep you on the edge of your sanity, and when you leave it on your bedside,it will leave you wondering, "What does the Night Know?"
Must-Read.