Night of the Living Dead The Criterion Collection
Special Edition, Criterion Collection
Frequently bought together
Customers who bought this item also bought
Customers who viewed this item also viewed
Shot outside Pittsburgh on a shoestring budget, by a band of filmmakers determined to make their mark, NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD, directed by horror master George A. Romero, is a great story of independent cinema: a midnight hit turned box-office smash that became one of the most influential films of all time. A deceptively simple tale of a group of strangers trapped in a farmhouse who find themselves fending off a horde of recently dead, flesh-eating ghouls, Romero's claustrophobic vision of a late-1960s America literally tearing itself apart rewrote the rules of the horror genre, combined gruesome gore with acute social commentary, and quietly broke ground by casting a black actor (Duane Jones) in its lead role. Stark, haunting, and more relevant than ever, NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD is back.
BLU-RAY SPECIAL EDITION FEATURES
- New 4K digital restoration, supervised by director George A. Romero, coscreenwriter John A. Russo, sound engineer Gary R. Streiner, and producer Russell W. Streiner
- New restoration of the monaural soundtrack, supervised by Romero and Gary Streiner and presented uncompressed
- NIGHT OF ANUBIS, a never-before-presented work-print edit of the film
- New program featuring filmmakers Frank Darabont, Guillermo del Toro, and Robert Rodriguez
- Never-before-seen 16 mm dailies reel
- New program featuring Russo on the commercial and industrial-film production company where key NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD filmmakers got their start
- Two audio commentaries from 1994 featuring Romero, Russo, producer Karl Hardman, actor Judith O'Dea, and others
- Archival interviews with Romero and actors Duane Jones and Judith Ridley
- New programs about the film's style and score
- New interview program about the direction of ghouls, featuring members of the cast and crew
- New interviews with Gary Streiner and Russell Streiner
- Newsreels from 1967
- Trailer, radio spots, and TV spots
- PLUS: An essay by critic Stuart Klawans
Top customer reviews
There was a problem filtering reviews right now. Please try again later.
With a wealth of extras, including interviews with the filmmakers, and an unseen workprint version, this is the release that fans have been waiting for. It has been a long journey, but here it is. A masterpiece finally gets its due.
There are plenty of extras as well. I really enjoyed the interview with Duane Jones.
A comment on the budget for this film. This was a completely independent film made in Pittsburgh, PA for just over 100k. I think its interesting that even today Hollywood can spend 100 million plus on a movie and the result is often a film not worth watching and yet look at what was produced for a fraction of what Hollywood spends. I think this just exemplifies the talent that these young and novice filmmakers had.
Many folks, including myself shuddered when the dreaded Mill Creek Entertainment put out a shoddy so called "anniversary edition;" losing hope that the NOTLD would not be properly honored. However, a short time later, Criterion made one of their best announcements of the decade! The original filmed fully restored, with Romero's personal seal of approval!
The film is presented from a glorious new 4K scan, showing the film as it was intended upon its initial release. The museum of Modern Art lent a hand in this, I was beyond overjoyed to hear this reading the pamphlet that's included. The original Mono soundtrack is crisp and clear, previous issues have been corrected.
The second blu ray discs include a slew of retrospectives, the original work print of the film that was called, "Night of Anubis," radio and TV spots, you name it, this edition has it all.
Criterion is always the best when it comes to releasing films. They use the best resources available and give us an unbeatable product every time. I give this edition my highest recommendation.
Finally after years of disappointing editions, we have the right one, the only one and we can rest easy.