To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Other Sellers on Amazon
+ $3.99 shipping
+ $3.99 shipping
+ $3.99 shipping
The Night Voyage: A Magical Adventure and Coloring Book (Time Adult Coloring Books) Paperback – August 30, 2016
All Books, All the Time
Read author interviews, book reviews, editors picks, and more at the Amazon Book Review. Read it now
Frequently bought together
Customers who bought this item also bought
About the Author
DARIA SONG is an author and artist with a master's degree in fiber arts from the Ewha Womans University Graduate School of Fine Arts. Winner of the Kyung Hyang Arts Contest, Song has exhibited at numerous galleries and museums in Korea, Singapore, Turkey, and Hong Kong. She is a lecturer at the Kaywon School of Arts and her illustrations can be found in Amore Pacific and SK Planet. She spent five years of her childhood in San Francisco before returning to Korea, and the sense of wonder and mystery that comes from living in a far-off place inspired her internationally best-selling adult coloring books, The Time Garden and The Time Chamber.
Top customer reviews
“The Night Voyage” is the story of a young girl and her cat, Phoebe, who go on a night adventure giving away presents to others. Or did they? That is the question left unanswered at the end of this story.
The coloring book is filled with Daria Song's beautiful artwork and imaginative design concepts. From paper crane airplanes to old-fashioned bicycles to gorgeous air balloons, each page is a wonderful opportunity to color.
In addition to the 64 pages of designs, there are thumbnails of each and a bonus coloring page as well as a card that can be cut out and colored. (with both cutting lines and folding line included.)
This is what I experienced while coloring in this book and testing the page with my coloring medium. In the comments section below, I will list the coloring medium I use for testing and coloring.
64 pages of Daria Song designs plus bonus page and card
Printed on both sides of the page
Paper is bright white, very lightly rough, heavyweight and non-perforated
Binding is both glued and sewn – not the type that is easy to snip threads to remove pages. I don't recommend this as so many of the designs spread across two pages
Designs merge into the binding area
Most designs spread across two pages
Separate dust cover which has coloring opportunities on the inside and an attached cover which can be colored as well.
Alcohol-based markers bleed through this paper
Water-based markers, gel pens and India ink pens do not bleed through and do not leave shadows on the back of the page. Some gel pens require additional drying time.
Colored pencils worked very well with this paper. I tested oil and wax based pencils. I was able to get good pigment lay down with both types. Layering the same color for deeper color, multiple colors and blending with a blending stick worked well and easily.
US versus Thailand printing:
Both versions have their advantages. The Thailand version was printed on a slightly off white when compared to the US one (thought I originally thought of it was simply white.) It also had colored images and colored cards included with some single page versions of designs which were on two-pages spreads. You can see my review and video of this version from May of this year on Amazon under the name “The Present” by Daria Song.
For me, the US version was the better of the two but I am happy that I have both. The US version is printed on bright white paper that was able to take all but alcohol-based markers without showing through. There are many pages of designs not included in the Thailand version at all. The detached dust cover, which is different from the original two books by Ms. Song, was a nice new touch with coloring opportunities as well. While the books are approximately the same size and the US version actually has less pages overall, it weighs more which leads me to believe that the paper is thicker.
The pictures are of a dream adventure, so don't expect consistency from page to page in what the little girl is wearing or how her hair is styled!
This coloring book is wonderful from the beautiful pictures to the beautiful cover of the book; then you get a bonus,a poster thats what i call it.
I own over 50 coloring books and this is in my top three....
Im hoping you have other coloring books out on the market...
Now i have to go investagate..lol
God you do some wonderful art work.
While coloring, you will discover some surprising "hidden" objects that you might not have observed at first glance. This is one of many reasons why this book is so much more fun than your ordinary coloring books. Now let's look at the specs and details of this book.
1) The images are printed on both sides
2) The paper has a decent weight to it. Very important!
3) Use with colored pencil, markers, gel pens or crayons but keep in mind that alcohol-based markers are notorious for bleeding through, and although I haven't personally tried them out on this paper, I would not recommend using them in this book or if you must, perform a small test first on one of the non-illustrated pages. All other media should work well. I enjoy using my prismacolor or Faber Castell pencils.
4) Level of difficulty: easy
5) Lines are drawn uniformly, no super thick lines on one page and really thin ones on other pages. The line thickness is perfect!
6) Each drawing is printed on two opposing pages but there is no white gap in the center so they continue on perfectly. Having illustrations cover two pages has a better impact and tells the story much better than on one single page.
7) The binding is somewhat stiff and the book won't lie flat so before you start on a double page illustration, work the spine of this book by opening the book and pressing down on the areas near the spine to flatten it. Or open the book in the middle somewhere but put the book upside down so the coloring images face down. Then press gently up and down on the spine as much as it will go.
8) The lines are black, not gray. The paper is pure white.
9) Each picture contains a fair amount of detail, just enough to make it interesting and fun. Not too much where it becomes tedious work to color them. (Unlike in some of the famous Johanna B. books)
10) The smaller elements aren't too small that no pen or pencil point can fit inside of it, or so small that you need a magnifying glass to work on them. This means no headaches (literally!), less errors (coloring outside the lines) and less frustration.
11) The highly skilled artwork is so charming and cute but not too "cutesy". Daria has a great style!
12) There are no disappointments in this book. Each illustration is wonderful!
This is a fantastic coloring book that has a fun and entertaining quality to it. It tells a story. The quality of the paper, the drawings, and the binding is excellent! I own lots of coloring books and The Night Voyage is definitely in my top 5. You will love this book!
I hope my comments and observations were helpful! Thank you and happy coloring!