Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 35 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 249 reviews
on March 1, 2016
The disk was well packaged is the first thing I noticed when looking at the mail overall. After opening I noticed that I didn't just get one album book but 3. One in English which was in the front another in Japanese, & a Japanese track list for a cosset tape version of the album. I guess that just had that laying around & tossed it in for fun but I'm not complaining, if anything I find it interesting. The 2 aforementioned CD booklets where clean & showed very little ware. The cosset tape song list has a small bit of old water damage with minor warping & discoloration, however I only noticed it from the white inside.

Don't take the scrutiny of the little ware & tear I've noticed as a lament or harsh criticism, but as evidence of how well maintained everything was. Don't get me wrong, I have old CDs & their cases in almost store fresh condition as well, but I've destroyed a few in my younger days. Its awesome that everything is in great condition!

The disk was very clean as if it has never been used before or it's original owner took very good care of it. I'm playing it as I type out this review & the music is flawless & complete. No skips or scratches. If I find something I like I would deferentially buy from this seller again.

I had almost given up on finding this album in its completion due to it no longer being offer anymore. It wasn't until I found a good price on amazon that decided to try my luck & purchase it for such a fair price.

The album itself is glorious as I am sure most fans would know but I found this band via unconventional means. Through the videos of an entertaining internet personality. I'm not sure if I can plug them here though. However I am sure that I can say that I looked up their music & fell in love with their music almost overnight. Sure it took me a while to buy an album of theirs, but that's just the way I do things. I make sure I wont get sick of the music after a few plays, happy to say that it only made me like the music more.

In the worry that this review gets any longer I'll stop here. The album is magnificent & the package was in great condition!
on March 3, 2017
This seminal work of music exemplifies the best qualifies of fantastical power metal and superb storytelling. Covering the War of the Jewels from J.R.R. Tolkien's The Silmarillion, Blind Guardian composed a incredible album that combines a thrilling setting in Middle Earth with their signature power/speed metal sound. It is a concept album that ties together each of the songs with brief narrations to help tell the story. Personally, my favorite song on the album is Mirror Mirror and it is good one to listen to before purchasing the entire album as it captures the general spirit.
on July 11, 2017
This is one of my favorite albums ever. I love it so much. Having read the Silmarilion, this really capture the epic ( and I'm using that word in the proper sense) feeling that some of the events and battles in book had (I mean, Time Stands Still At the Iron Hill is about an elf king fighting what is essentially the super devil, and it's amazing). they're also just good songs to listen to with friends. quality jams. 10/10 would fight Morgoth again
on June 12, 2016
Astonishing work of art! A great story and a great album rolled into one! The album actually gets you attached to characters through music! I wish more bands would do this! The music is amazing, and the band is awesome! I love Hansi's vocals!
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon November 15, 2007
Just when I've convinced myself that Blind Guardian's 1995 album Imaginations From the Other Side is not only their best album, but the best power metal album ever, I listen to the band's 1998 epic Nightfall in Middle Earth and have to rethink my decision.

When I think about epic metal, this is the album that immediately comes to mind (the 23-minute title track from Symphony X's Odyssey is a close second). Nightfall in Middle Earth is not just epic, it's EPIC. This is what Blind Guardian had been building towards for 10 years. The album, in case you hadn't guessed, is based entirely on the works of legendary fantasy author J.R.R. Tolkien, specifically The Silmarillion saga. Fortunately Blind Guardian's talent was a match for their ambition. Not only did the band faithfully adapt the source material, they included brief interlude tracks with sound effects and voice actors to help set the mood and ensure the story's progress. They did it well too, in case you were thinking of the uber-cheesy narration that Rhapsody kept inflicting on their listeners. All of the interludes on Nightfall in Middle Earth sounded as if they came straight from a major motion picture. And the actual songs are simply incredible. They're all extremely well written and well orchestrated power metal songs that are every bit as good as the stellar array of material on Imaginations From the Other Side.

Nightfall in Middle Earth is arguably power metal's finest hour, and nothing short of a must-have power metal album. Once you experience it, it will no doubt become the standard by which you judge all other power metal albums.

NOTE: The 2007 reissue of Nightfall in Middle Earth features digitally remastered sound (though to be fair the original version was a high quality recording to begin with) as well as a bonus track called Harvest of Sorrow, which was originally included as the b-side to their And Then There Was Silence single. It's also the English language version of the song Mies del Dolor (from A Night at the Opera). The song is also based on the Silmarillion, so it's inclusion on this reissue is quite fitting.
on August 11, 2013
This CD is for any fan of Tolkien's 'The Silmarillion', even if metal isn't really your taste. Each song is powerful and true to the source material. My personal favorites include 'Time Stands Still' and 'When Sorrow Sang'.

It's more enjoyable for a diehard fan of Tolkien, like myself, than for someone who knows nothing of the story, like my dad, I've found.

Anyways, the shipping was quick and it came sooner than expected. I highly recommend.
on April 24, 2016
The best story/concept metal album of all time. A true masterpiece from front to back - in every sense of the word. Grandiose, emotional, intense, virtuosic, bittersweet, I run out of adjectives to describe this golden music.
on January 23, 2015
This review is only focusing on the music, not the package as a whole. Blind Guardian is my favorite band and this is an amazing album. I loved it. However, to the seller I gave 1 star, because the CD case was completely shattered, and can't even hold the CD. The only thing holding it together was shrink wrap.
on August 18, 2014
This cd is awesome. Its one of the coolest ablums out there and anyone who likes blind guardian and tolkien will extremely happy with it. It is epic and all the songs on it are good and the little readings or battle noises add to the whole epic feeling. I would rate this cd higher if i could, it really is awesome.
on September 18, 2010
I bought this album not as a Blind Guardian fan (I'd never heard of them, in fact, despite having an interest in European metal) but as a Tolkien fan, and it was definitely more than I expected. My greatest fear was that it would be very thrashy with inhuman vocals typical of death/black metal bands, which I have never been able to listen to for long. While Blind Guardian have very heavy and vicious moments, they are also very melodic and lyrical, and Hansi Kursch has a wonderful voice when he's not screaming. The majority of these songs are also incredibly catchy; I keep finding myself singing along with them, despite my lack of vocal range.

I'm even more impressed with the reverence they've displayed for the source material. I had actually just finished re-reading The Silmarillion before this album arrived, and the songs clearly recall key moments of the story in an invigorating way. I read in the liner notes about the material they had to cut or abandon in order to get the album out, and my only complaint is that these other tracks (besides Harvest of Sorrow, a mellow but excellent bonus track on the re-release) never made it. I would have loved to hear their telling of the Fall of Gondolin, the journey of Earendil, and the full extent of the War of Wrath and the deaths of the last of Feanor's sons. If they ever complete the entire cycle on a double-disc album, I'd count that as a wish fulfilled.

I highly recommend this album to both Tolkien fans and metal fans, and especially fans of both. Even if you don't particularly like metal or Blind Guardian's style, you can appreciate their effort, and it would make an interesting curiosity for your Tolkien collection.