The Nightmare Before Christmas
Collectors's Edition, Collector's Edition
DVD | Box Set
Frequently bought together
Customers who viewed this item also viewed
Customers who bought this item also bought
Now digitally restored and remastered with state-of-the-art technology, THE NIGHTMARE BEFORE CHRISTMAS is deeper, darker and more brilliant than ever just as Tim Burton originally envisioned it. Can Christmas be saved? Bored with the same old scare-and-scream routine, Jack Skellington, the Pumpkin King of Halloween Town, longs to spread the joy of Christmas. But his merry mission puts Santa in jeopardy and creates a nightmare for good little boys and girls everywhere!
THE NIGHTMARE BEFORE CHRISTMAS is the first full-length stop-motion animated film ever created.
The movie contains more than 227 animated characters.
Santa Claus' head has more than 50 different working parts, and Jack has more than 400 separate interchangeable heads, each handcrafted with a different facial expression.
The smallest working puppet in the movie is a doll from the "real world" Jack visits that is only one inch long.
Sally is wearing a real miniature dress laid on top of foam latex so that the fabric doesn't move too much on screen.
At the height of production, the animators produced only 70 seconds of finished film per week.
To create Halloweentown's twisted look, the design artists often made their sketches using their nondrawing hand.
What's This? Jack's Haunted Mansion Holiday Tour
Original Theatrical Trailers And Posters
FRANKENWEENIE (Uncut Version) With New Introduction By Tim Burton
VINCENT -- Short Film
Tim Burton's Original Poem Narrated By Christopher Lee
All-New Audio Commentary By Tim Burton, Director Henry Selick And Musical Designer Danny Elfman
Behind-The-Scenes Making Of Tim Burton's THE NIGHTMARE BEFORE CHRISTMAS
The Worlds Of Tim Burton's THE NIGHTMARE BEFORE CHRISTMAS Halloween Town; Christmas Town; The Real World
Storyboard To Film Comparison
Would you like to tell us about a lower price?
If you are a seller for this product, would you like to suggest updates through seller support?
Top customer reviews
There was a problem filtering reviews right now. Please try again later.
01. The stop-motion musical had 24 frames to a second, meaning they had to pose characters 24 times for each second of the completed film.
02. That consisted of roughly 110,000 frames.
03. One minute of the movie required an entire week of filming.
04. And the movie therefore took more than three years to complete.
05. There are as many as 60 individual characters, with three or four duplicates each.
06. Each puppet had an armature inside it, enabling flexible movement.
07. The sculpture department consisted of only four people.
08. More than 400 distinctly different Jack Skellington heads were used.
09. And Sally had a mask for every expression change.
10. To make Jack blink, replacement series were wedged into his eyes, which took up three frames per blink.
11. Set designer Gregg Olsson built a quarter-scale mock-up of Halloween Town as a model for the real set.
12. The set also had trapdoors so animators could pop up and do the animation from beneath.
13. Although the sets were built in miniature, they were lit as if they were full-size movie sets.
14. Many of the sets required as many as 20-30 lights to create dramatic effects.
15. If there was ever a problem with a frame, they would have to go back and re-photograph the entire thing.
16. Composer and lyricist Danny Elfman didn't have a script to write the songs from.
17. The entire production required 13 animators.
18. It also included over 100 specially trained camera operators, puppet makers, set builders, and prop makers.
19. There was a total of eight camera crews.
20. And 19 sound stages with 230 sets total.
Excerpted from online article
20 Crazy Facts About The Making Of "The Nightmare Before Christmas"
Posted on October 28, 2013, at 2:47 p.m.
Arielle Calderon / BuzzFeed Staff
I received the 20th anniversary edition, which does not include a digital copy as mentioned in some of the older reviews, nor does it come with a protective sleeve as pictured in some reviews. Just the normal, blue jewel case of your typical Blu-Ray disc.
A brilliant mix of stop motion animation, great music, and creepy but good fun, Nightmare Before Christmas was a staple in my household growing up. Definitely one of the darker Disney movies, so the young ones might be a bit frightened. That said, anyone old enough to ride the Haunted Mansion at Disney World or Disneyland should be perfectly fine!
Never has this wonderful world of Tim Burton looked better. Do your children (or your inner child!) a favor and pick this up. You'll be humming "What's This?" for days to come!
The 3-D is pretty decent as well, and was nice to add to the collection of 3-D titles, but the main reason for the purchase was simply for the standard Blu-Ray, which looks and sounds incredible.
I was a little shocked by the price tag (for the 20th Anniversary Edition Blu-Ray 3D, Blu-Ray, DVD, & Digital Copy), but it is rather popular, and there are a lot of different formats being offered in one package.
All-in-all, well worth the money. Whether you’re an old fan looking to upgrade the copy you already have, buying it for the first time, or completely new to it and interested in checking out, you will not be disappointed.